BIG TOURNEY VS MARYLAND 3-11-21

12dozen

4 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I think this game proves we should be in the tournament!!!

I think we're one of the best 64 teams.... but... unfortunately, that's not how it works.

We lost too many we shouldn't have.  Just add in a couple wins against Minny and a win against Purdue and we're probably in.

3 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Never had a Chance!

image.png

I started seeing it shift that way around the he 5 minute mark. We would have had to maintain such a high scoring clip for those final minutes to stay in it, and it just wasn't sustainable enough. Maryland clearly showing they're the better team, but we could've squeezed out a surprise win there late.

Great game plan, and we were ready to compete. Just came out on the wrong end of a few things near the end. Missed shots the last 3 min. or so, that really hurt us. They got the breaks at critical times...and they made shots late. Just the reality of the game. Another physical team pushing us around. 

Wish we played like that more often. But sure is a good way to finish the B1G this year. Hope we get in the NIT...we could win some games.

Looks promising for next year. Will have more talent to work with. 

3 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Great game plan, and we were ready to compete. Just came out on the wrong end of a few things near the end. Missed shots the last 3 min. or so, that really hurt us. They got the breaks at critical times...and they made shots late. Just the reality of the game. Another physical team pushing us around. 

Wish we played like that more often. But sure is a good way to finish the B1G this year. Hope we get in the NIT...we could win some games.

Looks promising for next year. Will have more talent to work with. 

Definitely need to get stronger.  They get pushed around on a regular basis and when the Stooges let that physicality go, you've got to respond in kind.

2 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

i am generally not one to complain about officiating or, more generally lack of "fairness".  BUT in this instance I object to Maryland coach being permitted to crowd opponent's' ball handlers from just barely over the side line.  Twice Sam was trapped on her right (the hoop side) by her defender and on her left side by coach freese jumping up and down, waving arms, and screaming.  even tho coach was not right in the court she was kinda the second player in a two on one trap.  There was a fine line (or maybe no line) between encouraging her own player and taunting/intimidating the opponent 

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

Officiating is tilted to Maryland because the B1G know they best chance of making a run in the NCAA's is with them. It has been that way for years. Those calls will continue to go against us.

Just the Price we have to pay to keep getting the Big Bucks from the Big Ten.

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Kate really battled on the boards today.  She made the most of her physical ability and was a big factor in keeping us in the game.

After watching her today....kind of noticed she seems to be stronger now.....moves better ..even rebounds better, is a little quicker. Not a burner obviously, but she has an improved offensive presence. She did a couple of things today, that haven't seen much from her before.

Just speculation but maybe she came here 6-5 but not much muscle. Been working out in the weight room for 4 years, and has grown into her 6-5 frame. And has more confidence now.

Would be nice to have her play another year. She would be another force inside, and could teach the young ones. But it's up to her. She's paid her dues at NU.

Watched the upset of Michigan by Northwestern.  Loved it.  Watched the upset of Indiana by Michigan St. (should have been us in that game since we would have beaten M.S.  at NU if game not cancelled for piss poor reasons).  Watched the upset of Rutgers by Iowa.  Loved it.  Can't believe I actually rooted for Iowa but the crap that Rutgers get away with is unbelievable.  All very interesting.  

HUD - While we match up well against MSU there is no guarantee we would have beaten MSU. That is why they play the game. Compare it to Maryland and NE yesterday. Maryland on paper should take care of us with little problem be we gave them a strong test yesterday and maybe should have won with some calls going our way. Watched the Mich. and NW game. Michigan is not the same team as before all of this CV19 messed with them. Brown played much better before her  long CV19 break. Not really surprised they lost. Did not see the Ind./ MSU game. I did watch the IA/Rutgers game and not really surprised IA won. Bluder is a good coach and gets the most out of her players. IMHO Rutgers just does not play an entertaining game to watch. 

Unfortunately we will never know if we we could have beat Mich. St. but a home game on senior night with them missing a couple of players and us playing well just gave me a gut feeling that we would win.  Indiana was ripe for a loss yesterday & I just would have liked the opportunity to play them instead of Maryland.  Maybe it's better this way if we could get a deep run in the WNIT.  It seems like we are building for a step up next year.  Need to get in that Big Ten top four area.

Watching the Maryland and Northwestern game now, and a offensive charge in the lane just like Issies, and it was called a charge...no review. The Northwestern defender had both feet inside the arc.  

We sure didn't get a break, but others do apparently

Edited by redsteve