uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 26 - Big Ten Tournament vs. Penn St.

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Fred did say in his post game presser that he though Lakes gave us more than Stevenson in the matchup last night.

I am warming up to the idea of lakes being a rotation player next year. He seems to really know what he can and can’t do and that goes a looooooong ways on this squad. 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I am warming up to the idea of lakes being a rotation player next year. He seems to really know what he can and can’t do and that goes a looooooong ways on this squad. 

Oh yeah-- As long as he is ok in a "role" and not being "the guy" there is certainly a place for someone who can give us a solid 10ish minutes a game.  Especially someone who can provide a scoring presence.  

Edited by hskr4life

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't know what happens to him in the future but this was the type of game where we could have used Akol Arop to play 10+ minutes and *get* rebounds. Remarkable we don't really have anyone else on this roster who can do that outside of Banton.

Yeah when your point guard, granted Banton is unique with his size, leads the team in rebounds not a good thing.

We can debate whether next year should be viewed as year 2 or 3 of the Hoiberg era, but the bottom line is that this program needs to take a sizeable step forward next season. They've faced adversity, but when you really distill it down, Nebraska just needs better players and more of them. Fred & Co. need to hit on more recruits and have fewer busts. You can be a schematic genius, but if you don't have the pieces in place to execute your vision, you're not going to win many games at this level.

The 2019 recruiting class was a huge setback for this program and honestly the main reason why this was more like a year one than a year two. In my view, poor recruiting had a lot more of an impact on the program's fortunes than anything related to the disruption caused by the pandemic. They obviously were trying to put together the best class they could without a full cycle in which to operate, but this was not a good start:

Kevin Cross - GONE

Cam Mack - GONE

Jervay Green - GONE

Samari Curtis - GONE

Yvan Ouedraogo - Now 3rd string, transfer likely imminent

Akol Arop - Likely transfer candidate

That class was a trainwreck and the reason why this program finished as the #14 team in the Big Ten this season. They did better with the sit-out transfers, but the hit rate on early Hoiberg recruiting was brutally bad and the primary reason why we are where we are. I do believe things have trended up since then, and continue to do so, but that first class was a disaster.

Edited by Hooper

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

We can debate whether next year should be viewed as year 2 or 3 of the Hoiberg era, but the bottom line is that this program needs to take a sizeable step forward next season. They've faced adversity, but when you really distill it down, Nebraska just needs better players and more of them. Fred & Co. need to hit on more recruits and have fewer busts. You can be a schematic genius, but if you don't have the pieces in place to execute your vision, you're not going to win many games at this level.

The 2019 recruiting class was a huge setback for this program and honestly the main reason why this was more like a year one than a year two. In my view, poor recruiting had a lot more of an impact on the program's fortunes than anything related to the disruption caused by the pandemic. They obviously were trying to put together the best class they could without a full cycle in which to operate, but this was not a good start:

Kevin Cross - GONE

Cam Mack - GONE

Jervay Green - GONE

Samari Curtis - GONE

tenor.gif?ctx=share

5 hours ago, Hooper said:

Kevin Cross - GONE

Cam Mack - GONE

Jervay Green - GONE

Samari Curtis - GONE

That class was a trainwreck and the reason why this program finished as the #14 team in the Big Ten this season. They did better with the sit-out transfers, but the hit rate on early Hoiberg recruiting was brutally bad and the primary reason why we are where we are. I do believe things have trended up since then, and continue to do so, but that first class was a disaster.

Hoiberg didn’t have much time to put a class together.

50 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:
1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Hoiberg didn’t have much time to put a class together.

Wait, you don’t think it is easy to build almost a full roster in a couple months when most all the top recruits have been committed for months? 

Reminds me of when Doc took over the program.

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2006-07