uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 26 - Big Ten Tournament vs. Penn St.

uneblinstu

Just another disappointing end to another disappointing season of Nebrasketball.

Now 14-45 over the past two years.  It’s time to start putting a few W’s on the board next year.  I’m not asking for much.  I’m not saying we have to dance next year.  Heck, I’m not even saying we need to NIT next year.  But we damn well better not have another 10 or under win year.

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

I am having a difficult time being optimistic about next season.  Tired of the post season being one and done literally.  Looking forward to the day we don’t play until Friday.  But, I may not live that long.  Oh well, I can watch the women get throttled by Maryland tomorrow.

Im just ready to play on Thursday again.  I hate when seasons come to a close.  The next season always seems so far away.

45 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Hoiberg came out and said unprompted that the core of the team is coming back. Let's hope it's a couple of more pieces + experience in a hoiball offense + not playing a NBA schedule  = .500+ in the conference

Not to mention a real offseason, a normal amount of practices, and a normal non conference schedule to get ourselves in a groove before the grueling big ten.

Next year's going to be a difficult nut to crack with the possibility of a bunch of seniors returning for one reason or another especially some of the league's fringe-y draft pick talents who might think one more year might squeak them into the margins of the NBA. 

Depending on how that dynamic shakes out in the rest of the league, we may be looking at a cold replay of this season with a bunch of historically good teams stacked with talent pounding on us. 

I figure we'll lose maybe 4-5 players tops, and if Hoiberg's right that the core is returning, all we need is a little normal attrition from the league's upperclassmen to maybe sneak into 5-7 win range next season with a good offseason for our guys and the newbies contributing. 

As weird as the season was, the offseason isn't going to be all that normal, either. 

This year was an aberration in more ways than sports, so I'm simply putting it behind me and ready to move on. I am strangely optimistic about our team despite the horrible results and grateful to the coaches and players for persevering and giving me something to watch rather than political punditry, riots, and dismal pandemic reports. Perhaps I was cushioned by "waiting-until-next -year" by the Red Sox between 1953 and 2004 to win a World Series. I think Hoiberg is going to break the NCAA barrier for NU sooner rather than later and thank everyone involved in the effort this year (including HHC) for the pleasant moments provided during the year. Nebraska's basketball fortunes are bound to rise in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I missed the start of the game so if it was mentioned as to why Stevenson and Yvan (his bulk) didn't play I missed it.  Was there something else or just Fred maybe trying to show them their role going forward?

If you look at Stevenson's minutes vs Penn St you'll find that they are among the lowest he's played in conference; Yvan is the 3rd guy in a rotation that only plays if there is foul trouble and there wasn't. The only message I saw was that we were trying to win the game and playing the guys we thought would get that done.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If you look at Stevenson's minutes vs Penn St you'll find that they are among the lowest he's played in conference; Yvan is the 3rd guy in a rotation that only plays if there is foul trouble and there wasn't. The only message I saw was that we were trying to win the game and playing the guys we thought would get that done.

Wasn't saying they should have played over anyone, just seemed odd given both played vs them before is all.  I understand Fred was going with who he thought would win.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Just another disappointing end to another disappointing season of Nebrasketball.

Now 14-45 over the past two years.  It’s time to start putting a few W’s on the board next year.  I’m not asking for much.  I’m not saying we have to dance next year.  Heck, I’m not even saying we need to NIT next year.  But we damn well better not have another 10 or under win year.

This post was made, heat of the moment last night.  The years of built up frustration, the back-to-back 20 loss seasons, being known as the place where "coaches go to die."  It's just a lot, and if it's a lot for me, I know it's even more for the players and coaches.  They want to succeed here.  I believe they will.  But that doesn't make these years any more bearable.  With that being said, I still believe we need to win more than 10 games next year to show progress.  With the additional Non-Con games, the players we should keep around, and the players that we have coming in, I don't feel like that is too much of an ask.  However, there is one thing I didn't do last night and I should have.

Thor- Thank you, man.  If you want to come back next year, 99% of Husker fans want you back.  If you choose to move on, best of luck and I'll root for you always!

Kobe- Your year here was so fun to watch and it was nice to see you have some really solid games down the stretch.  Like Thor, I would welcome you back next year if you wanted.  If you move on, thank you for the year you put into the program!

To the players and coaches- Thank you all so much for just giving us a season.  I know that each year the time and effort put in is countless hours away from family.  However, this year had that extra piece of baggage.  Just giving me something to watch and root for deserves a huge thank you.  I remember what it was like to not watch ANY SPORTS for like 3 months.

As rough as the year was, it was 10000000000X better than a year without Nebrasketball!  We're all hopeful that we can come see you in person next year!

3 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Wasn't saying they should have played over anyone, just seemed odd given both played vs them before is all.  I understand Fred was going with who he thought would win.

Fred did say in his post game presser that he though Lakes gave us more than Stevenson in the matchup last night.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

FTFY...if you don't want Thor back...you aren't a Husker fan.

I 100% would love if Thor came back.  But, I know there are still some on this board that think he should move on.  It blows my mind why you wouldn't want him back, but the thought is out there.... which is why I used 99%.

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Hoiberg came out and said unprompted that the core of the team is coming back. Let's hope it's a couple of more pieces + experience in a hoiball offense + not playing a NBA schedule  = .500+ in the conference

Not playing an nba schedule in terms of the way it was laid out and in terms of the teams we play. The big ten won’t be as stacked as it is this year. That will help, too.