2021 Transfer SZN

hhcmatt

25 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I still don't see why we wouldn't offer a grad transfer PG senior for that final spot.  

To be fair, we have recruited several transfer point guards. None of them are coming here, for whatever reason. The staff apparently doesn’t like any of the realistic options that are left out there. I’m of the mindset that we shouldn’t take a guy just to take a guy. 

Edited by millerhusker

2 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

The way I look at Tyon Grant-Foster is that right now Nebraska has 2 scholarship players on the roster that won’t count against the scholarship limit, so I think Hoiberg has a little more freedom to take a chance on a player or two like Grant-Foster.

Nebraska already has a pretty solid 9-man rotation for next season and I don’t expect them to bring in anyone elite enough to knock any of these starting 5 out of the starting lineup. And Hoiberg has 2-3 scholarships available to build that up to a legit 10-man rotation.

Starting Lineup:

1- Trey McGowens (6’4”)

2- Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

3- CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

4- Lat Mayen (6’9”)

5- Derrick Walker (6’8”)

Bench:

1- Kobe Webster (6’0”)

2- Transfer (Tyon Grant-Foster (6’7”))?

3- Delano Banton (6’9”)

4- Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

5- Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

I think, at this point, Hoiberg is recruiting for depth to raise the talent level of the bench. If a guy like Grant-Foster ends up developing into a star and working his way into a major role for the 2022-2023 season, then great, but for depth, he could also end up being a much more athletic and better shooting version of Stevenson on this roster and to me that’s ok too.

I also expect another scholarship to officially open up, so I believe that if Nebraska were to bring in Grant-Foster, they will still be able to add 2 more player to the roster over this off season.

This is a great point. The rotation is pretty set I think, but adding another wing with some talent should help. If Wilcher beats him out, so be it. 

The ball handler situation isn't the best, but I can see 4 on the roster now (I'm pegging Bryce to handle the ball for stretches also). No TRUE PG but a bunch of guys who have the capabilities. Plus, the upside of Banton. Started off strong but fizzled out post COVID. Retract towards the middle between those at least and I think the issue is in better standing

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Bart Torvik's analytics had our defense ranked 31st in the country. KenPom had us 40th. I like Torvik's data tools a little more than KenPom's, but to each their own. 

The first comment was based on eye-test, for sure. I like to watch players off the ball on offense and defense. I can only think of 4 players over the last two years that have given consistent 100% effort on both ends of the court.

I'd chalk this up to length and Doc Sadler's scheme.

We went from KenPom #142 to #20 this last year in the Team Height category. We took away the paint at the expense of teams putting up 3s on us.  However, teams overall shot poorly from 3 against us which I'd attribute to length and luck.

Having spent hours looking at styles on KenPom i can easily discern that this was the most Sadler-esque defense that Hoiberg has ever run and also happens to be the highest rated one he's ever run. 

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Sounds like Hoiberg is content with the roster now (with the addition of TGF). They're not going to add anymore players to next year's roster.  The full court presses for Traudt and Simeon begin.

If we’re done, here’s my guess on lineups:

Trey-Banton

Bryce-Keisei-Kobe

Wilcher-Tyon

Lat-Wilhelm

Walker-Andre-Oleg

I also don’t think there’s any way Tyon stays off the court at the 3 or 4.  There might be games where he is a better 4 than Lat or Wilhelm.  Keisei is going to get thrown out there for heat checks I would have to presume.  

There are times in practice where that second group would beat the first so I expect lineups to be fluid as hell next year.  Bryce, Wilcher, Keisei, and Wilhelm give us so many more philosophy options it’s crazy.  

Tyon is more like a Miles recruit (so is Banton) but we’re going to have room in the lane for slashers with this many shooters.  

Edited by LK1

23 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Trey-Banton

Bryce-Keisei-Kobe

Wilcher-Tyon

Lat-Wilhelm

Walker-Andre-Oleg

I also don’t think there’s any way Tyon stays off the court at the 3 or 4.  There might be games where he is a better 4 than Lat or Wilhelm.  Keisei is going to get thrown out there for heat checks I would have to presume.  

There are times in practice where that second group would beat the first so I expect lineups to be fluid as hell next year.  Bryce, Wilcher, Keisei, and Wilhelm give us so many more philosophy options it’s crazy.  

Tyon is more like a Miles recruit (so is Banton) but we’re going to have room in the lane for slashers with this many shooters.  

I think Tyon will play the 2 spot and his length at 6’7” will be a great advantage for him, especially on the defensive end, as well as rebounding. In his videos, he is a really aggressive rebounder as a SG, which is something this team needs as well.

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

Trey-Banton

Bryce-Keisei-Kobe

Wilcher-Tyon

Lat-Wilhelm

Walker-Andre-Oleg

So Tyon in N?

As things are trending in that direction I am happy with the take. While a difference making point guard would have been great, getting a guy that was supposed to be a dude with Loenser to develop get him in Fred’s system and hope it takes because you can never have enough guys with size and ability. Let’s just hope he can live up to that potential he had going for him. 

8 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I think Tyon will play the 2 spot and his length at 6’7” will be a great advantage for him, especially on the defensive end, as well as rebounding. In his videos, he is a really aggressive rebounder as a SG, which is something this team needs as well.

He’s a SF.  Swing the 3-4 at KU.  I don’t think he has quite the handles or outside presence to play the 2.  Plus we’re pretty loade at that spot.  

For what it is worth, my Lawrence contact (brother) was not too impressed by Tyon's KU career. His take was : number one JUCO prospect two years ago (I thought it was Teddy, myself), a tall and skinny guy who showed very brief flashes of athleticism and was not too polished. That's all he had.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

For what it is worth, my Lawrence contact (brother) was not too impressed by Tyon's KU career. His take was : number one JUCO prospect two years ago (I thought it was Teddy, myself), a tall and skinny guy who showed very brief flashes of athleticism and was not too polished. That's all he had.

If we get him, your brother is clueless about basketball and doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

If we don't get him, whew, dodged a bullet, he wasn't that good anyway. Did you see what Jimmy's brother said?

33 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Tyon is a no-go. He was gonna commit today... then he didn't.

Here's the new guy. 

Was originally a top 25 player in the 2021 class. Reclassified to 2020 and joined Depaul for the second semester. Now he's transferring, maybe to Nebraska. 

Please make this happen, like him much more