2021 Transfer SZN

hhcmatt

I think we’re going to like him. The consistent thing that everyone says about him is he defends and plays hard 100% of the time. We like guys who defend and play hard all the time. Sounds simple, but we’ve had more guys the last two years that don’t do those two things than I can ever remember. So I’m going to expect a taller Caleb Walker and if the scoring potential ever comes to fruition then look out. 

OK, let me put it this way: Tyon Grant-Foster is like a slightly taller version of Akol Arop. Except with good knees.

And better ball skills. And (from the sounds of things) can play defense without getting lost.

And if he was good enough for Bill Self to recruit, then who am I to question it?

Let's reel him in, I guess.

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, let me put it this way: Tyon Grant-Foster is like a slightly taller version of Akol Arop. Except with good knees.

And better ball skills. And (from the sounds of things) can play defense without getting lost.

And if he was good enough for Bill Self to recruit, then who am I to question it?

Let's reel him in, I guess.

I was just laughing to myself because over your last 5 posts I imagined you going from excited/critical whiskey sour norm to green tea with a pinch of lemon and honey norm over this kid.  😂. For the record I agree with what you’ve said, just busting your balls a bit.  

4 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

I was just laughing to myself because over your last 5 posts I imagined you going from excited/critical whiskey sour norm to green tea with a pinch of lemon and honey norm over this kid.  😂. For the record I agree with what you’ve said, just busting your balls a bit.  

That's not far off.

Perhaps a closer analogy would be going from plain cough syrup to cough syrup with a whiskey chaser. From a 3.25 on the enthusiasm meter to a good, solid 5.5.

14 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

cheerscapecad.gif

A lineup of Trey, Bryce, CJ, Tyon and Walker/Andre would be versatile, athletic and tough defensively. 

For some reason fans still like their "4" to be 6'9"+. But our 6'9"+ guys with subpar athleticism really struggle on the defensive end. 

Baylor's starting lineup:  

6-2

6-3

6-5

6-5

6-10

Gonzaga:

6-4

6-5

6-5

6-7

6-10

Michigan, Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Houston, etc. All their lineups look like this. There's no chance for Lat and Dalano to stay in front of Corey Kispert, Joe Wieskamp, Isaiah Livers, Jalen Wilson.... Tyon gives us a nice option to have a guy both long and athletic enough to stick with guys like this.  We had a top 35 defense last year, which is pretty incredible. We played very good team defense for most of the year. I think Tyon will make us even better on that end. 

2 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Michigan, Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Houston, etc. All their lineups look like this. There's no chance for Lat and Dalano to stay in front of Corey Kispert, Joe Wieskamp, Isaiah Livers, Jalen Wilson.... Tyon gives us a nice option to have a guy both long and athletic enough to stick with guys like this.  We had a top 35 defense last year, which is pretty incredible. We played very good team defense for most of the year. I think Tyon will make us even better on that end. 

And at least the potential on offense is there, hopefully our staff can unlock it. When Bill Self says this about you, you know at least he's showed some pretty impressive flashes on offense.

“[Grant-Foster] makes hard shots, gets real baskets," Self said. "He did some things that, without going into too much detail, we haven't had somebody that could go get their own [shot] like he can when he's good in a long time.”

“Yesterday, [Grant-Foster] got on a roll that we haven't had anybody get on maybe in years,” Self said during a media availability Thursday. 

39 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

A lineup of Trey, Bryce, CJ, Tyon and Walker/Andre would be versatile, athletic and tough defensively. 

For some reason fans still like their "4" to be 6'9"+. But our 6'9"+ guys with subpar athleticism really struggle on the defensive end. 

Baylor's starting lineup:  

6-2

6-3

6-5

6-5

6-10

Gonzaga:

6-4

6-5

6-5

6-7

6-10

Something else worth pointing out about Baylor (apropos to this thread) is that, of their top 6 players in terms of minutes played (the guys getting roughly 20 minutes or more), 4 of those 6 players were transfers, including the top 2 minutes/scoring guys. Auburn, UNC-Ashville, Baylor, Baylor, Presbyterian, UNLV. Those are the schools at which the national champs' top 6 players started their college careers.

And when Scott Drew went after players in the portal, he clearly prioritized guards who could shoot. Macio Teague was a ~44% career 3-pt shooter in 2 years at UNC-A. Flagler was a >38% 3-pt shooter in one season at Presbyterian and he improved that by 5% in his sophomore year at Baylor.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Something else worth pointing out about Baylor (apropos to this thread) is that, of their top 6 players in terms of minutes played (the guys getting roughly 20 minutes or more), 4 of those 6 players were transfers, including the top 2 minutes/scoring guys. Auburn, UNC-Ashville, Baylor, Baylor, Presbyterian, UNLV. Those are the schools at which the national champs' top 6 players started their college careers.

And when Scott Drew went after players in the portal, he clearly prioritized guards who could shoot. Macio Teague was a ~44% career 3-pt shooter in 2 years at UNC-A. Flagler was a >38% 3-pt shooter in one season at Presbyterian and he improved that by 5% in his sophomore year at Baylor.

Bluebloods as we knew them in the past are dead, and I'm HERE FOR IT!!

I like Nebraska's chances to ascend in the era of free agency.  We have the coach, fans, and facilities.  If the NIL thing comes to fruition, we'll also have the money.  Now the players are showing up.  

The way I look at Tyon Grant-Foster is that right now Nebraska has 2 scholarship players on the roster that won’t count against the scholarship limit, so I think Hoiberg has a little more freedom to take a chance on a player or two like Grant-Foster.

Nebraska already has a pretty solid 9-man rotation for next season and I don’t expect them to bring in anyone elite enough to knock any of these starting 5 out of the starting lineup. And Hoiberg has 2-3 scholarships available to build that up to a legit 10-man rotation.

Starting Lineup:

1- Trey McGowens (6’4”)

2- Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

3- CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

4- Lat Mayen (6’9”)

5- Derrick Walker (6’8”)

Bench:

1- Kobe Webster (6’0”)

2- Transfer (Tyon Grant-Foster (6’7”))?

3- Delano Banton (6’9”)

4- Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

5- Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

I think, at this point, Hoiberg is recruiting for depth to raise the talent level of the bench. If a guy like Grant-Foster ends up developing into a star and working his way into a major role for the 2022-2023 season, then great, but for depth, he could also end up being a much more athletic and better shooting version of Stevenson on this roster and to me that’s ok too.

I also expect another scholarship to officially open up, so I believe that if Nebraska were to bring in Grant-Foster, they will still be able to add 2 more player to the roster over this off season.

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

The way I look at Tyon Grant-Foster is that right now Nebraska has 2 scholarship players on the roster that won’t count against the scholarship limit, so I think Hoiberg has a little more freedom to take a chance on a player or two like Grant-Foster.

Nebraska already has a pretty solid 9-man rotation for next season and I don’t expect them to bring in anyone elite enough to knock any of these starting 5 out of the starting lineup. And Hoiberg has 2-3 scholarships available to build that up to a legit 10-man rotation.

Starting Lineup:

1- Trey McGowens (6’4”)

2- Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

3- CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

4- Lat Mayen (6’9”)

5- Derrick Walker (6’8”)

Bench:

1- Kobe Webster (6’0”)

2- Transfer (Tyon Grant-Foster (6’7”))?

3- Delano Banton (6’9”)

4- Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

5- Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

I think, at this point, Hoiberg is recruiting for depth to raise the talent level of the bench. If a guy like Grant-Foster ends up developing into a star and working his way into a major role for the 2022-2023 season, then great, but for depth, he could also end up being a much more athletic and better shooting version of Stevenson on this roster and to me that’s ok too.

I also expect another scholarship to officially open up, so I believe that if Nebraska were to bring in Grant-Foster, they will still be able to add 2 more player to the roster over this off season.

Sounds like Hoiberg is content with the roster now (with the addition of TGF). They're not going to add anymore players to next year's roster.  The full court presses for Traudt and Simeon begin.

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

Sounds like Hoiberg is content with the roster now (with the addition of TGF). They're not going to add anymore players to next year's roster.  The full court presses for Traudt and Simeon begin.

So even though we are in his top 4 last I checked, do you think we are out (or stop pursuing) pinson from Mizzou?  I haven’t seen anything new on him but thought we were high on his list and him high on ours.

Just now, Keenan9595 said:

So even though we are in his top 4 last I checked, do you think we are out (or stop pursuing) pinson from Mizzou?  I haven’t seen anything new on him but thought we were high on his list and him high on ours.

He's not coming here, per Washut's info. I'm not sure if we cooled on him or vice versa. 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I think we’re going to like him. The consistent thing that everyone says about him is he defends and plays hard 100% of the time. We like guys who defend and play hard all the time. Sounds simple, but we’ve had more guys the last two years that don’t do those two things than I can ever remember. So I’m going to expect a taller Caleb Walker and if the scoring potential ever comes to fruition then look out. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'm not trying to dispute anyone, but I'm having a little trouble reconciling these two Bolded comments.  I'm guessing the one is based more on the 'eye-test, ' that is, general impressions, and the other is based more on actual statistics. 

5 minutes ago, Red Don said:

I'm not trying to dispute anyone, but I'm having a little trouble reconciling these two Bolded comments.  I'm guessing the one is based more on the 'eye-test, ' that is, general impressions, and the other is based more on actual statistics. 

Bart Torvik's analytics had our defense ranked 31st in the country. KenPom had us 40th. I like Torvik's data tools a little more than KenPom's, but to each their own. 

The first comment was based on eye-test, for sure. I like to watch players off the ball on offense and defense. I can only think of 4 players over the last two years that have given consistent 100% effort on both ends of the court.

Edited by millerhusker

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjTzMDelu_vAhVBbs0KHQYVAu0Q0PADegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbadgerswire.usatoday.com%2F2021%2F04%2F05%2Fwisconsin-basketball-reaches-out-to-minnesota-transfer-gabe-kalscheur%2F&usg=AOvVaw1HRUaoP_LN_yHKJ_BitfYs

52 minutes ago, PointGuard said:

Has Nebraska shown any interest in Gabe Kalscheur? 

is he in the Portal?  There is your answer

I don't know about the portal, I read he is leaving Minnesota and that Wisconsin is trying to get him.😐