2021 Transfer SZN

hhcmatt

25 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Sounds like he is a very poor team chemistry guy. Was basically told to leave ISU and ultimately got chambers fired at PSU. Not sure if we wanna try a guy like this for the third straight offseason 

Do you mind being a bit more specific if you are going to throw this stuff around on a message board?  I don't doubt you at all, would just like to know more since you are speaking as though they are facts.  

Edited by royalfan

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

Do you mind being a bit more specific if you are going to throw this stuff around on a message board?  I don't doubt you at all, would just like to know more since you are speaking as though they are facts.  

Probably referring to this incident:

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

Just going by penn st fans essentially blaming him for chambers firing when the rest of the team wanted him kept then Iowa st fans on Reddit were claiming he wanted to stay at Iowa state but got “voted off the island” by the team.  If two fan bases have bad things to say about him it would seem like a situation we don’t want to get involved IMO. 

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Just going by penn st fans essentially blaming him for chambers firing when the rest of the team wanted him kept then Iowa st fans on Reddit were claiming he wanted to stay at Iowa state but got “voted off the island” by the team.  If two fan bases have bad things to say about him it would seem like a situation we don’t want to get involved IMO. 

To play devil's advocate... that's making it sound like a Lebron situation, where one player says "you either fire this coach or I'm leaving," even though the other players on the team liked the coach. But, Bolton transferred, then Chambers was fired. So that doesn't line up.   Bolton left, everyone in the program wanted Chambers to stay, yet he still got fired. Why wasn't the problem solved by Bolton leaving? Sounds to me like the AD was looking for a reason to fire a coach that won 33% of conference games in 9 years.

I spent some time perusing Iowa State message boards. There's definitely not a consensus that he was a bad culture guy. In fact, most of their fans are sad to see him go and label him as a "good kid". Sounds like they'd rather have just about every other player on their team besides Bolton transfer. Not only was he all-conference as a player, but he was also academic all-conference.  He led their team in points, rebounds, assists and steals.  Shot 46% from the field and 84% from the line. He's a better basketball player than anyone we've had under Hoiberg to this point. 

Edited by millerhusker

6 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

To play devil's advocate... that's making it sound like a Lebron situation, where one player says "you either fire this coach or I'm leaving," even though the other players on the team liked the coach. But, Bolton transferred, then Chambers was fired. So that doesn't line up.   Bolton left, everyone in the program wanted Chambers to stay, yet he still got fired. Why wasn't the problem solved by Bolton leaving? Sounds to me like the AD was looking for a reason to fire a coach that won 33% of conference games in 9 years.

I spent some time perusing Iowa State message boards. There's definitely not a consensus that he was a bad culture guy. In fact, most of there fans are sad to see him go and label him as a "good kid". Sounds like they'd rather have just about every other player on their team besides Bolton transfer. Not only was he all-conference as a player, but he was also academic all-conference.  He led their team in points, rebounds, assists and steals.  Shot 46% from the field and 84% from the line. He's a better basketball player than anyone we've had under Hoiberg to this point. 

I’m not saying he’s a bad kid and his stats(on bad teams) point to him being a good player.  What I’m saying is do we want to get into another possible Mack or teddy situation for the third year in a row. 

1A7B05BC-6CB5-4A15-AA0D-D690D7AE0E2A.png

3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I’m not saying he’s a bad kid and his stats(on bad teams) point to him being a good player.  What I’m saying is do we want to get into another possible Mack or teddy situation for the third year in a row. 

1A7B05BC-6CB5-4A15-AA0D-D690D7AE0E2A.png

Thanks for the screenshot. To be honest, if I’m a Cyclone fan, I’m kinda pissed that a bunch of mediocre players on a very bad team got to decide the fate of the only legit player on the team (if this is all true). Especially if that good player is also a good person and student. Maybe Bolton demanded more of his teammates and they didn’t like it? Who knows. Big 12 coaches respected him - he got the 12th most votes of any Big 12 player on the coaches all-conference teams. That’s in a conference that was pretty stocked full of talent this year. Players on bad teams almost never receive that many votes. He also complemented Tyrese Haliburton the prior year very well. 

I don’t see this as a Teddy or Cam situation. I don’t think any of us were surprised, or disappointed, when they announced they were leaving. The majority of Cyclone fans seem to be both surprised and disappointed with this one. 

I have no inside information and mostly just reading all the stuff you have said in Bolton but here are my thoughts:

Where there is smoke there is fire. My guess is Bolton might not have been liked at PSU if the guys liked Chambers but that isn’t Bolton’s fault that Chambers said something inappropriate to him and he decided not to be around that.

The post above me about being forced out to make room for a top 50 Recruit also makes sense.

I don’t think we should pass on guys who maybe need to grow up a bit. We took a flyer with Kobe King— it didn’t workout but shows we will.

Also took a shot with Teddy.

My hope is these kids realize they won’t get many more chances and will straighten up or that we have a strong foundation to help kids know the expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.png

I had a post up but I pulled it after reading through this thread

To me he's leaving because as talented as Bolton is offensively when he's the leader on your team he's not good enough to be that guy at this level. If you look at the W-L records in just the vacuum of whether or not Bolton is on your team, it's pretty damning. There is probably a team or situation out there where the team thrives because Bolton is on it; after the last two years that seems like an extremely risky proposition with this team.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

image.png

I had a post up but I pulled it after reading through this thread

To me he's leaving because as talented as Bolton is offensively when he's the leader on your team he's not good enough to be that guy at this level. If you look at the W-L records in just the vacuum of whether or not Bolton is on your team, it's pretty damning. There is probably a team or situation out there where the team thrives because Bolton is on it; after the last two years that seems like an extremely risky proposition with this team.

Reminds me of the discussion you had with @basketballjones about Teddy Allen.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Reminds me of the discussion you had with @basketballjones about Teddy Allen.

If he thought we couldn't win with Teddy Allen as our best player, he was absolutely right. How many more wins do we have if Teddy tears his ACL to start the season? I can't imagine that it's many more.

The question with Teddy ultimately for next year though would be how might he operate if he wasn't our best player.  Just looking at the stats of Teddy and Trey playing together vs just one of them on the court I'd say that it's in our favor that we won't have to find out.

12 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Welp, apparently our mystery player is not Bolton, or anyone else we've talked about. And Washut says this player is indeed already in the transfer portal. My next guess was going to Caleb Grill, but I wouldn't consider the Mountain West to be a high major conference. I got nothin'. 

THANKS A LOT EVERYONE FOR TALKING ABOUT DEVIN ASKEW

Robin gave some more clues on who this would be.

He is in the transfer portal already and should make his decision by Friday (possibly). He also said it was no one that was mentioned in the thread that he was responding to. That eliminates Bolton. 

Robin also said it could be a high impact guy, if things break his way. 

12 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

Robin gave some more clues on who this would be.

He is in the transfer portal already and should make his decision by Friday (possibly). He also said it was no one that was mentioned in the thread that he was responding to. That eliminates Bolton. 

Robin also said it could be a high impact guy, if things break his way. 

So, based on that, are we thinking maybe Xavier Pinson or Greg Williams Jr?

3 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Don't think so. They have both been mentioned on that board.

Couple more clues. Not a former Big Ten player and will be a 2 or 3 here, not a point guard. 

Thank God. I was atarting to think Rocket Watts made too much sense 

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

Don't think so. They have both been mentioned on that board.

Couple more clues. Not a former Big Ten player and will be a 2 or 3 here, not a point guard. 

Oh, I guess I was thinking that Pinson would play the 2 in this system, especially with both Trey and Kobe coming back. Also, one thing that made me think it could be Pinson is that his final 4 is Nebraska and 3 SEC schools, but for some reason I was thinking that the SEC has some rule about transferring from one SEC school to another school in the conference.