2021 Transfer SZN

hhcmatt

On 4/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, Norm Peterson said:

His assist-to-turnover ratio was bass-ackwards. There's a reason VT played him at SG.

No idea what his turnovers look like if he has to distribute the ball. His TO% as a catch and shoot guy are good.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

No idea what his turnovers look like if he has to distribute the ball. His TO% as a catch and shoot guy are good.

Apparently, though, he doesn't want to be a 5'10" catch-and-shoot guy and VT wasn't interested in playing him at point.

So, back to what you said upthread about it being a gamble.

If you want a 5'10" shooter, this may be your guy. If you want a floor general who can initiate the offense and distribute the ball, it's anyone's guess if this is your guy.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Apparently, though, he doesn't want to be a 5'10" catch-and-shoot guy and VT wasn't interested in playing him at point.

So, back to what you said upthread about it being a gamble.

If you want a 5'10" shooter, this may be your guy. If you want a floor general who can initiate the offense and distribute the ball, it's anyone's guess if this is your guy.

I didn't see anything in his highlight video that showed him actually creating an opportunity for a teammate off the dribble. He delivered the ball to guys who were open on the perimeter, but that was it. Maybe he has the skills to be a PG, but I don't know if you want him to be learning on the fly if he doesn't. He sure can catch and shoot though. High degree of difficulty on a lot of his shots too. 

Edited by hugh42

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Devin-Askew-transfer-portal-Kentucky-basketball--163672084/

He was one of the first recruits Hoiberg offered a scholarship to after he was hired here. Wilhelm’s high school teammate. 

Washut had been hinting for awhile that the staff is interested in a high major transfer point guard that had not officially entered the portal yet. Could this be the guy? 

12 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Devin-Askew-transfer-portal-Kentucky-basketball--163672084/

He was one of the first recruits Hoiberg offered a scholarship to after he was hired here. Wilhelm’s high school teammate. 

Washut had been hinting for awhile that the staff is interested in a high major transfer point guard that had not officially entered the portal yet. Could this be the guy? 

That would be HUGE. He was rated as a 5-star by ESPN and the #26 overall player in the 2020 class, so adding him, in addition to Bryce McGowens would be adding 2 5-stars to Nebraska's roster, plus 2 4-stars in Wilhelm and Wilcher.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235628/devin-askew

Edited by Nebrasketballer

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

That would be HUGE. He was rated as a 5-star by ESPN and the #26 overall player in the 2020 class.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235628/devin-askew

If I remember right, he was a top 10 recruit in the 2021 class before he reclassified to 2020. 

21 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Interesting.

Edited by Norm Peterson

7 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

That would be HUGE. He was rated as a 5-star by ESPN and the #26 overall player in the 2020 class, so adding him, in addition to Bryce McGowens would be adding 2 5-stars to Nebraska's roster, plus 2 4-stars in Wilhelm and Wilcher.

The 6-foot-4, 200-pound point guard out from Sacramento (Calif.) would have been a senior in high school this past season had he not decided to make a jump and reclassify to the 2020 Class.

However, because of the NCAA Eligibility Relief due to Covid-19, Askew still has four years of eligibility remaining in the college ranks.

Prior to Askew’s reclassification he was considered as the No. 1 overall point guard prospect in the 2021 class and a five-star prospect. Exiting high school as a 2020 recruit, Askew ranked as the No. 32 overall prospect in the 247Sports 2020 Composite Rankings.

I'd at minimum kick the tires. Upside is there, and given how Fred likes his offense to have multiple ball handlers in it, it would fit Devin a lot. A lot of his struggles early were because he was asked to handle a big chunk of the offense early. He turned it around as the season went on, but deploying him with another ball handler (like Fred likes) makes a lot of sense. 

Plus, the Wilhelm connection. 

This Devin Askew news is really interesting.

As @49r says, there would probably be bigger-name suiters than us.

But I was just reading on Twitter from a Kentucky sports radio guy that Askew reached out to Louisville and they weren't interested.

T.J. Walker on Twitter: "UofL: Devin Askew personally texted UofL asking for a spot but we're too good for him! Also UofL: Is Rocket Watts a must get? He'd be perfect. https://t.co/097Uggaxnt" / Twitter

So, I mean, stranger things have happened. We got Bryce McGowens for goodness' sake.

And Askew has a close connection to another of our '21 recruits.

I could see this happening.

And, if it does, we'd have potentially an insane backcourt next season.

38 minutes ago, 49r said:

LOL, there's gonna be far bigger suitors for Devin Askew's services than us, I'm afraid.  I wouldn't be getting my hopes up on this one...

Not getting my hopes up, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to discuss the possibility. KU, Kentucky and North Carolina wanted Bryce, but we had a connection.

It’s interesting that the staff has apparently known about a point guard transfer whose name wasn’t in the portal yet. Since Askew went to high school with Wilhelm, it’s not crazy to think they would’ve known he was going to enter the portal before it was made public. Just trying to connect some dots. 

Edited by millerhusker

21 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Not getting my hopes up, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to discuss the possibility. KU, Kentucky and North Carolina wanted Bryce, but we had a connection.

It’s interesting that the staff has apparently known about a point guard transfer whose name wasn’t in the portal yet. Since Askew went to high school with Wilhelm, it’s not crazy to think they would’ve known he was going to enter the portal before it was made public. Just trying to connect some dots. 

That's what I'm hoping. And I'll continue to hope it until he's committed somewhere else.

7 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Don't know if this has been posted yet. He's good. 

He is very very good.  Can score at all levels and has a stroke that it is just looks like it is going to go in.  Perhaps more of a combo than a true point, but no matter what he is, he would have been our best player last year quite comfortably.  

1 hour ago, imnothipp said:

Robin W pretty much shot down the Askew possibility. Made it sound like a combo guard from a high major. 

Are you saying that Robin is insinuating that we are looking good with a CG from a high major or that is who we are focusing on?