uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 26 - @ Northwestern

I can’t really see putting the game on hoiberg and staff although I question playing lat 28 minutes when he wasn’t hitting his shots and was frankly bad in the first half. Stevenson playing only 4 minutes when he was actually affective on those 4 minutes is a head scratcher too. 

I will say what the staff has done with the team when it comes free throw shooting is very impressive and promising going forward. 

Thought lakes held his own in the minutes he played and saw some promising things from Andre once again. 

3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I can’t really see putting the game on hoiberg and staff although I question playing lat 28 minutes when he wasn’t hitting his shots and was frankly bad in the first half. Stevenson playing only 4 minutes when he was actually affective on those 4 minutes is a head scratcher too. 

I will say what the staff has done with the team when it comes free throw shooting is very impressive and promising going forward. 

Thought lakes held his own in the minutes he played and saw some promising things from Andre once again. 

One thing going against Stevenson is when he drives and misses it almost always becomes a run out and a 5 on 4 for the opponent.

6 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

One thing going against Stevenson is when he drives and misses it almost always becomes a run out and a 5 on 4 for the opponent.

I agree but at the time he was playing he was the only one attacking the rim while everyone else was duckin around on the perimeter.  And the refs were giving him calls on those rim attacks.  Hopefully one or both of Stevenson and mayen expand their games for next year if they are still here 

14 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Maybe wouldn't have ended up mattering with the way he shot, but Lat how do you not shoot that open 3 at the end there?? 

It might have burned 3 more seconds off the clock which would have been the difference.  

The coaches had a good play, and Lat couldn't pull the trigger.  Absolutely had to whether it went in or not.

15 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I agree but at the time he was playing he was the only one attacking the rim while everyone else was duckin around on the perimeter.  And the refs were giving him calls on those rim attacks.  Hopefully one or both of Stevenson and mayen expand their games for next year if they are still here 

Shamiel gives good effort when the ball is in his hands on offense and when his man has the ball on defense. Watch him off the ball on both ends. It’s the exact opposite of what Fred and Doc want. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Shamiel gives good effort when the ball is in his hands on offense and when his man has the ball on defense. Watch him off the ball on both ends. It’s the exact opposite of what Fred and Doc want. 

He's the poster child for 'will this guy be a fit?' because yeah you're absolutely right.  The guy has talent it's just not a great fit here.

I really hope we keep Shamiel.  I think he'll be deadly going to the rim when we have a couple more shooters to space the floor.  I thought he really helped us when he was on the court yesterday.  

Loved the fight from the team.  I sincerely thought the refs were the difference at the end.  I rarely say such a thing.

These two halves were also reminders of what happens when we shoot well.  You just have to have guys that can fill it up.  If you do, you're basically Iowa overnight in Fred's system.  

I think what we're desperately missing for next season is a 3 who can shoot.  If Thor comes back, I like him there.  In a game like this one, we're a much different team with a lineup like Bryce, Tominaga, Thor, Lat, Breidenbach on the court.  Even having Thor/Lat/Breidenbach with Bryce and Trey would be deadly for those two guards to get to the rim.  It's just too clogged right now for the 5 out to make sense.  Defenses go under every screen.  They'll have to hedge hard with Bryce, which will change a lot.  If Trey or Banton or Shamiel can have room to drive, that will change a lot as well.

Personnel wise, we're very, very close if not there next year.  If we pick up a true stopgap PG and a pure shooter at the 3, we're there.  Love our bigs and wings.  

13 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He’s a below average shooter this year and not a scorer in general.  For all the positive things he does he doesn’t give us much in those respects 

End of season Thor has been more of what we expected all year.  I'd welcome him back if we get that dude.  He shoots it pretty well.

As for the rest of the season?  I'm with you.  Yikes.  

24 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

and not a scorer in general. 

Here is my thing, we have enough of these, and will only add more next year.  We need a guy who is smart, can score when needed, not selfish, does the little things right, and provides a leadership presence.  Thor checks all of those boxes which is why I think he'll be valuable next year.

Postgame Notes via UNL
*-Kobe Webster finished with a season-high 23 points, including a career-best seven 3-pointers. It marked his second 20-point effort of 2020-21 (also vs. Georgia Tech) and 26th of his career.
*-Nebraska’s 14 3-pointers was a season-high (previous high 13). It’s the sixth time NU has had at least 10 3-pointers in a game, and today marks just the second time this season the Huskers have had 10+ 3-pointers in consecutive games (also at Creighton, vs. Doane)
*-Thorir Thorbjarnarson dished out a career-high six assists, marking the third straight game with a season or career high in assists
*-Nebraska finished with 21 assists, its highest total against a Division I opponent this year. NU has had 19 or more assists in three of the last four games
*-The last three Nebraska-Northwestern games have all been decided by five points or less