IOWA GAME DAY THREAD PART 2

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (11-10, 9-9 Big Ten) at Iowa Hawkeyes (14-8, 10-8 Big Ten)
March 6, 2021, 7 p.m. (CT)
Carver-Hawkeye Arena - Iowa City, Iowa
Live Video: B1G Network+
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (6:45 p.m.) Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst) Lincoln (1400 AM KLIN), Omaha (CD 105.9 FM), Huskers.com, Huskers App

Looking at the (non-shooting) stats and I don't see how they could be much more evenly matched. Even the shooting stats even out when you look at the number of made shots. Stand-outs are the number of fouls (and FTS); i.e. Twice the # of fouls (and less than half the # fts), and points in the paint. It was a hard-fought very, very close game. The Husker Ladies proved-up to their 'Grit; No Quit' reputation. Iowa is a Very Good Team, but they can be beaten (11-8 conf record in a very strong conference). I think the way you beat Iowa is to beat Caitlin Clark; the way you beat Clark is to keep guarding her, she detests being guarded.

image.png

Edited by Red Don

hate iowa or really hate iowa.....this is pretty remarkable:

Clark ranks fourth for most points during a freshman campaign (631 points), playing seven fewer games than anyone on the list. Texas A&M’s Chennedy Carter holds the record for most freshman points (816), playing 13 more games than the Hawkeyes have this season and averaging 22.6 points per game.

she broke Jamie Printy's freshman scoring record at iowa...actually smashed it. i tried to look up how many games Printy played in to get the record but couldn't find the stats. 

11 games of 30+ points. if her defense improves...🤕

I thought the team played one of their better  offensive games of the season with relatively good player movement and less standing around.  As reflected above we finished close to the Iowa stats and shot likely a season best 49% from the field but Iowa shot 54%.  Our players guarding Clark tried to keep up with her but when she makes 3's from 8 or more feet from the three point line it is frustrating.  She has one of the better step back shots from anywhere on the court.  Perhaps if someone like Coley who is taller could be a good defender on her.  Anyone who guards her has to have the quicks and be able to fight through screens to keep up and other players need to ready for her as well.  Our interior defense was someone better.  I did not help when one of their other players made a bunch of threes.  NE team defense needs to improve as well to help win games.  Perhaps with 15 or more players on board  next year, with some being quicker, that periodic full court pressure and some traps might be used as well.

18 minutes ago, Redhac said:

I thought the team played one of their better  offensive games of the season with relatively good player movement and less standing around.  As reflected above we finished close to the Iowa stats and shot likely a season best 49% from the field but Iowa shot 54%.  Our players guarding Clark tried to keep up with her but when she makes 3's from 8 or more feet from the three point line it is frustrating.  She has one of the better step back shots from anywhere on the court.  Perhaps if someone like Coley who is taller could be a good defender on her.  Anyone who guards her has to have the quicks and be able to fight through screens to keep up and other players need to ready for her as well.  Our interior defense was someone better.  I did not help when one of their other players made a bunch of threes.  NE team defense needs to improve as well to help win games.  Perhaps with 15 or more players on board  next year, with some being quicker, that periodic full court pressure and some traps might be used as well.

thinkin' TLaudermilk 😉

sure looks like huskers are going to have some pretty good depth. at practically every position. one thing i would like to see is a more consistent threat from 3. nice trio coming in next season. going to be interesting who might lose some minutes. i have a guess...but we'll see.

no info at all, but, wonder if Brady returns? i'd like to see Cain back, however, if she moves on more power to her. i thought she had one of her better years as a husker (albeit, condensed). i would think she announces her decision very soon.

From what I've seen there's at least one newbie that should be inserted in the line starting up. Will be a freshman that can compete  in the B1G. Don't want to offend, but hopefully we've learned a lesson about who should get prime playing time.  Or at least better management of it.

The other new freshman coming in will of course, may need some time to adapt to the college game. How quickly those others adapt will be up to them.  But they all  look to have real potential. If we have a large squad, may have more role playing develop as a team? 

Could see more transfers leaving? Possibly, but no idea who or why. This day and age of transferring is crazy. Cain doesn't seem to have given many hints what she will do, but she's finished in the class room apparently.  WNBA possibly, or simply use her degrees and go to work. Yep, she's had her best year this time around.