Coach McDermott

Bugeaters1

10 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

No, it was completely Cancel Culture.  And, if I have to stand against thought police like you, I'm more than happy to enlist in that war.  The only reason people were talking about his job security is because snowflakes get their panties in a wad.  Greg is reinstated.  Are your panties straight?  Or should he be beheaded?

I can see by all your Fox News buzz words you are part of the problem. Have fun in your make believe war.

13 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I can see by all your Fox News buzz words you are part of the problem. Have fun in your make believe war.

Fox News buzz words?  That's all you have? Pathetic. Our educational system has completely failed not only you, but our nation as a whole.  So tell me, were your panties in a wad less than a year ago over this Creighton University story?  I bet not.  

Creighton professor regrets tweet calling police rally a 'white supremacist' event | Education | omaha.com

1 minute ago, cipsucks said:

Fox News buzz words?  That's all you have? Pathetic. Our educational system has completely failed not only you, but our nation as a whole.  So tell me, were your panties in a wad less than a year ago over this Creighton University story?  I bet not.  

Creighton professor regrets tweet calling police rally a 'white supremacist' event | Education | omaha.com

😂 Sure buddy. Like I said...part of the problem.

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

Does it help that we're located in a city named after the Great Emancipator?

Well...sort of named after him. The origin story is deeper than that.

Glad Journal Star had a write-up on this, because I was worried it would take some real digging to find the true origin story:

https://journalstar.com/the-story-behind-lincolns-namesake/article_9d71b406-82d0-51ba-a0f2-92f588abf402.html

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Glad Journal Star had a write-up on this, because I was worried it would take some real digging to find the true origin story:

https://journalstar.com/the-story-behind-lincolns-namesake/article_9d71b406-82d0-51ba-a0f2-92f588abf402.html

I went incognito and read it. A former slaveholder in Nebraska City. Probably still has some relatives in Auburn, I'm guessing.

Edited by jayschool

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:
5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Expand  

Got a one-paragraph summary. I'm not a subscriber.

The story behind Lincoln's namesake

By JORDAN PASCALE / Lincoln Journal Star Apr 10, 2011 Updated Jan 5, 2016 

At least three dozen counties, towns and cities are named after the man who brought the nation back together.

And while most places were named to honor one of the country's most revered presidents, Lincoln, Neb., had a more backhanded way of "honoring" him.

In fact, some politicians attempted to use Lincoln's name as a way to dissuade constituents from moving the capital from Omaha, which had been the territorial government seat since 1854.

The story has been chronicled on the Nebraska State Historical Society's website and in books by historian Jim McKee, including his latest, "Visions of Lincoln: Nebraska's Capital City in the Present, Past and Future."

Territorial Gov. Thomas Cuming hailed from Council Bluffs, Iowa, across the Missouri River from Omaha, and was a strong proponent of keeping the capital in Omaha.

But nearly twice the number of people lived south of the Platte River and thought the capital should be closer to the center of the population.

Tempers flared as residents south of the Platte felt they weren't fairly treated and lacked proper representation in the Legislature.

For nearly 13 years, a fierce struggle raged over the location of the capital, and by 1867 a group launched an initiative to move it.

During the last territorial legislature, the battles flared so hotly that at one point fists and guns were brandished and south Platters talked of seceding and joining Kansas.

When the issue came to a vote, there was little protest for removal from northerners -- except for one Omaha senator.

Sen. J.N.H. Patrick made a last-ditch attempt to keep the capital in his city by proposing a different name for the new seat of government.

Legislators had planned to call the new capital "Capital City." But citing the name as "inexplicably clumsy and ugly," Patrick proposed it be changed to "Lincoln" after the deceased president.

He thought the promoter of the bill for a new capital -- Sen. Mills Reeves of Nebraska City, a former slaveholder and vocal opponent of Lincoln -- would be rattled by this change and oppose his own bill.

Reeves was said to have "disliked the name of Lincoln more than Satan himself," according to first-hand accounts.

Surprisingly, Reeves not only took no offense but even seconded Patrick's motion and the bill passed.

The village of Lancaster, founded in 1856, was chosen out of three potential locations for the new capital and was renamed Lincoln.

"It's definitely a unique situation," says McKee. "Everyone assumes it was a great honor, but it was a political trick that backfired.

"If you asked 1,000 people, they'd all say it's in honor of Lincoln -- but that's only half the truth."

Just now, HuskerFever said:

The story behind Lincoln's namesake

By JORDAN PASCALE / Lincoln Journal Star Apr 10, 2011 Updated Jan 5, 2016 

At least three dozen counties, towns and cities are named after the man who brought the nation back together.

And while most places were named to honor one of the country's most revered presidents, Lincoln, Neb., had a more backhanded way of "honoring" him.

In fact, some politicians attempted to use Lincoln's name as a way to dissuade constituents from moving the capital from Omaha, which had been the territorial government seat since 1854.

The story has been chronicled on the Nebraska State Historical Society's website and in books by historian Jim McKee, including his latest, "Visions of Lincoln: Nebraska's Capital City in the Present, Past and Future."

Territorial Gov. Thomas Cuming hailed from Council Bluffs, Iowa, across the Missouri River from Omaha, and was a strong proponent of keeping the capital in Omaha.

But nearly twice the number of people lived south of the Platte River and thought the capital should be closer to the center of the population.

Tempers flared as residents south of the Platte felt they weren't fairly treated and lacked proper representation in the Legislature.

For nearly 13 years, a fierce struggle raged over the location of the capital, and by 1867 a group launched an initiative to move it.

During the last territorial legislature, the battles flared so hotly that at one point fists and guns were brandished and south Platters talked of seceding and joining Kansas.

When the issue came to a vote, there was little protest for removal from northerners -- except for one Omaha senator.

Sen. J.N.H. Patrick made a last-ditch attempt to keep the capital in his city by proposing a different name for the new seat of government.

Legislators had planned to call the new capital "Capital City." But citing the name as "inexplicably clumsy and ugly," Patrick proposed it be changed to "Lincoln" after the deceased president.

He thought the promoter of the bill for a new capital -- Sen. Mills Reeves of Nebraska City, a former slaveholder and vocal opponent of Lincoln -- would be rattled by this change and oppose his own bill.

Reeves was said to have "disliked the name of Lincoln more than Satan himself," according to first-hand accounts.

Surprisingly, Reeves not only took no offense but even seconded Patrick's motion and the bill passed.

The village of Lancaster, founded in 1856, was chosen out of three potential locations for the new capital and was renamed Lincoln.

"It's definitely a unique situation," says McKee. "Everyone assumes it was a great honor, but it was a political trick that backfired.

"If you asked 1,000 people, they'd all say it's in honor of Lincoln -- but that's only half the truth."

I spent my first 22+ years in Lincoln, dutifully took Nebraska history, and am still proud to say that's where I'm "from." Never heard of the story behind "honoring" Lincoln. Thanks.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Not exactly shocking to learn that the city from inception has taken gruff from someone bitter in Omaha