Coach McDermott

Bugeaters1

33 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I hate Creighton as much as anyone on this board.  Suspending Doug for his comments?  You should be suspended from this forum for saying he "bought the farm".  There are many black and hispanic farmers.  This stupid woke shit has to stop!

Look, you can be mad about the current environment we live, but it is the current environment.

You make a comment like that and you stepped in it. You just can't make that comment. 

And if you can't understand why comments like that can't be made...well I don't know what tell you.

All that matters is if his players will play for him.  It was an insensitive remark but all of us are guilty of that at one time or another. Extracting a pound of flesh doesn’t solve the problem.  None of us have knowledge of how he treats players. Let’s leave the judgement to the Creighton Administration. 

20 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Look, you can be mad about the current environment we live, but it is the current environment.

You make a comment like that and you stepped in it. You just can't make that comment. 

And if you can't understand why comments like that can't be made...well I don't know what tell you.

I'm not mad at all about the current environment.  I'm really sad that most people won't stand up and say the cancel culture is wrong.  I'm guessing you haven't, but I could be wrong.  I hope you never say the wrong thing, whatever the woke mob deems that to be.  When that happens and there is no one to defend you, well, I don't know what to tell you.   

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

I'm not mad at all about the current environment.  I'm really sad that most people won't stand up and say the cancel culture is wrong.  I'm guessing you haven't, but I could be wrong.  I hope you never say the wrong thing, whatever the woke mob deems that to be.  When that happens and there is no one to defend you, well, I don't know what to tell 

If you want to try and defend his word choice...be my guest. There are certain things you can't say. Its not that hard. 

I'm not even talking about his intent. It does't matter. It is a boneheaded choice of words you just can not use.  

Woke mob? Really? If you think what he said is o.k. you're part of the problem man.

As far as "Cancel Culture" whatever. He did something stupid that his boss now has to answer for. At a time when the focus should be on a successful year. This was entirely avoidable situation he caused. Thats why anyone is even talking about his job. Not some cancel culture B.S.

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Once CU couldn't win the B.E., hmmm.... interesting timing.

LOL - yeah, suspend him for an utterly meaningless game several days later, rather than for the game immediately after it happened - can't imagine why they would do that. CU should either take it seriously or not - but a one game suspension after allowing him to coach in the game that decides the conf title is disingenuous pandering.

Almost as disingenuous as having Greggie have a team meeting to decide whether he resigns - show of hands, guys, who wants me to resign? - no peer pressure or fear of retribution there. How about the highly paid adults in the room - the supposed leaders of the program - decide what should happen, with input from the players? 

On 3/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, Cazzie22 said:

The National Media will make this explode.  If the players on the team can play for McDermott, that’s all that matters.  If they don’t want to play,  then there is an issue.  Players would not keep choosing to attend Creighton if it was systemic.  Iowa keeps getting players for Football.  Creighton needs to make the decision, not outside sources.

It seems to me Creighton bowed to outside pressure.  McDermott met with each player and offered to resign and he acknowledged his poor choice of words.  That should be adequate.

31 minutes ago, throwback said:

LOL - yeah, suspend him for an utterly meaningless game several days later, rather than for the game immediately after it happened - can't imagine why they would do that. CU should either take it seriously or not - but a one game suspension after allowing him to coach in the game that decides the conf title is disingenuous pandering.

Almost as disingenuous as having Greggie have a team meeting to decide whether he resigns - show of hands, guys, who wants me to resign? - no peer pressure or fear of retribution there. How about the highly paid adults in the room - the supposed leaders of the program - decide what should happen, with input from the players? 

I thought he met one on one with the players but I understand your point about possible intimidation.  But he did offer to resign.  

39 minutes ago, throwback said:

Yeah that was ridiculous.  If you feel so bad about it, resign.  Don't put that kind of pressure on the Black players you already shit on.  It's just bizarre how tone deaf the guy appears to be in this situation, and CU has handled it atrociously.  

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

It seems to me Creighton bowed to outside pressure.  McDermott met with each player and offered to resign and he acknowledged his poor choice of words.  That should be adequate.

This wasn't just response to outside pressure. This is largely influenced by conversations of the administration with multiple players once the team returned back to Omaha, which didn't happen until after the Villanova game. It doesn't sound like he will be fired, just suspended. There are consequences for actions.

By no means am I a Creighton Blue Jay fan, and the suspension timing, and resignation offer can certainly be debated.  With that said, this cancel culture thing has gone off the rails.  He made a mistake, and has apologized.  Why not use it as a learning opportunity to grow and become better.  If done right, both he and his players can grow from this.  Isn't that what college is all about?  Maybe instead of offering to resign, have one on one meetings with his black players and ask them how the comment effected them, let them know what he's learned from it, and committing to continue to support them in their lives going forward.  Sounds like a better outcome to me than, "wrong" speak, you're fired!  My two cents for what they are worth anyway.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, cornfed24-7 said:

If you want to try and defend his word choice...be my guest. There are certain things you can't say. Its not that hard. 

I'm not even talking about his intent. It does't matter. It is a boneheaded choice of words you just can not use.  

Woke mob? Really? If you think what he said is o.k. you're part of the problem man.

As far as "Cancel Culture" whatever. He did something stupid that his boss now has to answer for. At a time when the focus should be on a successful year. This was entirely avoidable situation he caused. Thats why anyone is even talking about his job. Not some cancel culture B.S.

No, it was completely Cancel Culture.  And, if I have to stand against thought police like you, I'm more than happy to enlist in that war.  The only reason people were talking about his job security is because snowflakes get their panties in a wad.  Greg is reinstated.  Are your panties straight?  Or should he be beheaded?

Edited by cipsucks