Coach McDermott

Bugeaters1

6 minutes ago, tcp said:

It was stupid and insensitive, obviously, but a smack on the wrist is more than enough. hopefully the speech cops will write him his ticket, let him pay the fine, and move on to the next moron. 

No way would any CU professor get away with the same thing in class.  There are certain things no one should ever say to students of color, regardless of intent.  

I’m not for cancel culture by any means, but he just told a room of black kids that they are on CU’s plantation.  That’s him speaking as a representative of the university.  Good luck playing that one down, Jays. 

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

No way would any CU professor get away with the same thing in class.  There are certain things no one should ever say to students of color, regardless of intent.  

I’m not for cancel culture by any means, but he just told a room of black kids that they are on CU’s plantation.  That’s him speaking as a representative of the university.  Good luck playing that one down, Jays. 

No one's saying he should say it. He already knows he shouldn't have. And there was to me an intention beyond racializing the comparison that would've "worked" had he said "I need everyone to stay on the reservation". Same point, different outgroup. 

As for what a professor could or couldn't say, I've been out of university teaching for  nearly 20 years now, so I can only imagine how trigger happy crap is now. But I'm certainly not expecting a basketball coach to be as linguistically savvy as, say, a sociologist when addressing students. Although I've heard more than a few of them say stupid crap, too. 

Anyway, I'm ust hoping this doesn't turn into a "Fire Greg McDermott" because we think it's a funny thing to do to a rival. But I understand your position here, I do. I'm just not willing to scorch this dude's life over this incident unless he had a history of it. That's all. 

Just now, tcp said:

No one's saying he should say it. He already knows he shouldn't have. And there was to me an intention beyond racializing the comparison that would've "worked" had he said "I need everyone to stay on the reservation". Same point, different outgroup. 

As for what a professor could or couldn't say, I've been out of university teaching for  nearly 20 years now, so I can only imagine how trigger happy crap is now. But I'm certainly not expecting a basketball coach to be as linguistically savvy as, say, a sociologist when addressing students. Although I've heard more than a few of them say stupid crap, too. 

Anyway, I'm ust hoping this doesn't turn into a "Fire Greg McDermott" because we think it's a funny thing to do to a rival. But I understand your position here, I do. I'm just not willing to scorch this dude's life over this incident unless he had a history of it. That's all. 

I understand your point.  I’m a college professor dealing with today’s political climate, so I very much agree that lives shouldn’t be ruined and that free speech is vital in academic settings.  I strongly oppose intellectual safe spaces.  

This error, however, is not a free speech issue.  It’s an issue of quality control.  

I genuinely find this analogy beyond reproach for black students in 2021.  That could very well be a generational difference between you and I, but it is an egregious error that has just made many innocent administrators’ jobs hell if he isn’t fired.  It won’t be forgotten by the media, students, or faculty.  No chance.  

Right or wrong, I cannot judge his intent, but that’s also part of the problem in this case.  He said it four days ago.  This is a forced, top down apology.  When it proves to be not enough, I imagine he’ll be suspended at the least but most likely shown the door.  

I would guess that Greg will soon join Chris Harrison and Dr. Seuss on the rubbish heap of history which already holds any Southern Civil War general, Chris Columbus, Washington and Lincoln...etc. His mistake was making a thoughtless comment of this sort in this Cancel Culture age. Eventually he will be back coaching somewhere else. Meanwhile all of the trolls can lean back on their basement couches and pat themselves on their backs for another job well done. I wonder who ratted him out?

10 minutes ago, Ashfan said:

It's amazing how the imposing of consequences for improper conduct has become cancel culture. 

agree. I am pretty confident in saying Mac isnt racist. He's an incredibly nice guy and I've never heard a character criticism from former players or coaches. His comment was a slip of the tongue, I am certain, but it was also a sign of systemic racism. And that may deter players from choosing to play basketball at Creighton. Tough decision to make here. I hope its made with a 'business-first' mindset, because again, I don't believe Mac is a racist and you could think of this as a 'first-strike' conduct violation.

30 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I would guess that Greg will soon join Chris Harrison and Dr. Seuss on the rubbish heap of history which already holds any Southern Civil War general, Chris Columbus, Washington and Lincoln...etc. His mistake was making a thoughtless comment of this sort in this Cancel Culture age. Eventually he will be back coaching somewhere else. Meanwhile all of the trolls can lean back on their basement couches and pat themselves on their backs for another job well done. I wonder who ratted him out?

This happened in their locker room. It came out because it didn't fly there. One way to look at this is that's overblown. The other way to look at it is how the Joe Paterno era ended at Penn State. Somewhere in-between is where Creighton, where men's basketball is their flagship, gets to navigate here.

Not being an NU graduate, I'm not seeking any schadenfreude from the situation but I sense the sharks beginning to circle here. The only mitigating factor may be that Creighton is a private institution. I think it would be much more difficult to retain the coach of a public-funded institution who would make such a bone-headed comment in today's society.

The National Media will make this explode.  If the players on the team can play for McDermott, that’s all that matters.  If they don’t want to play,  then there is an issue.  Players would not keep choosing to attend Creighton if it was systemic.  Iowa keeps getting players for Football.  Creighton needs to make the decision, not outside sources.

Dougie really stepped in it this time. I’m sure most are aware of the comments he made to his players on Saturday. It’s one thing to be tone deaf, misspeak, or not read your audience. His “plantation” comment does all of that & SO much more. I’ll leave it to those On the Hill to say whether it’s fireable or not, but a suspension is certainly forthcoming. This is the LAST thing Creighton wants to be talking about with the tournament around the corner, but you get what you deserve...

16 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Dougie really stepped in it this time. I’m sure most are aware of the comments he made to his players on Saturday. It’s one thing to be tone deaf, misspeak, or not read your audience. His “plantation” comment does all of that & SO much more. I’ll leave it to those On the Hill to say whether it’s fireable or not, but a suspension is certainly forthcoming. This is the LAST thing Creighton wants to be talking about with the tournament around the corner, but you get what you deserve...

42 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I hate Creighton as much as anyone on this board.  Suspending Doug for his comments?  You should be suspended from this forum for saying he "bought the farm".  There are many black and hispanic farmers.  This stupid woke shit has to stop!