Thor = Glue

Thor has always had an unorthodox-looking game, but he's an effective passer when he's locked in. His defensive rotations have been improving, and he has a calming effect on his teammates.

The B1G moment never seems too big for The Hammer. His Senior "highlight" photo that accompanied his framed jersey was the sweet block by Thor on Jordan Bohannan to seal the ballgame when Nebraska beat Iowa 93-91 on Senior Night two years ago. Love it.

Thor is a dude.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I can probably count to about 12 how many times he happened to be in the right place tonight.  If you do it that many, it probably cannot be considered lucky.  Anyone heard anything on him possibly being back again next year?  We have clearly been a better club the last three years when he is on the court than off of it.  

We've done this the last three years. I remember people being down on Thor early last year, then being pleasantly surprised as he became one of our more valuable players. I believe the perception that Thor is playing better has more to do with his teammates being in their correct spots and playing with more purpose. Thor is Thor - unathletic, but plays as fast as anyone. He's got an excellent feel for the game and almost always makes the right decision. 

Someone last night commented on the game thread wondering where Thor had been all year.  Another poster chimed in and said that he had been on the bench.  The explanation is not that simple.  A few games ago I was listening to the pregame radio broadcast and Kent asked Fred what had changed with Thor.  Fred said that he had a long talk with Thor recently and pulled out a lot of 2019-2020 film and they studied his shot release, movement, etc.  It seems like that conversation flipped the switch with Thor.  Confidence is also a very funny thing and one of those intangibles you can't measure.  You can be the most talented player but when you play with little confidence, you look lost and out of sorts.  Thor is not the most talented player and was not gifted with raw athletic ability like others on this team.  However, he has a skill set that few on this team has.  He has vision and a feel for the game that most on this team lack.  He does the little things that often go unnoticed (i.e. being in the right spot and spacing the floor for his teammates to cut through the lane to receive an easy pass for a layup.  As @Huskerpapasaid, he is really the glue that brings this thing together.  Thor has confidence now and this team has confidence now.  It's not surprising they are playing their best basketball.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

He was clearly in a funk/rut with his shot early in the season. While he's been a reliable guy you can put on the court he's really something when he has that swagger back.

He definitely was. But he's not exactly shooting the lights out at this point either. He was 0-4 from three last night, 1-5 from the field and everyone is raving about his performance. Again, I think this has to do with his teammates improvement. Thor made some great passes last night that resulted in buckets. If Derrick doesn't finish a couple of those layups and Lat doesn't knock down a couple of those threes, people would be looking at the box score and again asking why Thor gets any playing time. I don't think Thor's game has changed one bit. He's always had that vision and feel. But the purposeful movement has not always been there with the rest of the team. I hope Thor comes back. He's not a guy who can carry a team, but he can be a key player on a very good team. 

Edited by millerhusker

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

He definitely was. But he's not exactly shooting the lights out at this point either. He was 0-4 from three last night, 1-5 from the field and everyone is raving about his performance. Again, I think this has to do with his teammates improvement. Thor made some great passes last night that resulted in buckets. He's always had that vision and feel. But the purposeful movement has not always been there with the rest of the team. I hope Thor comes back. He's not a guy who can carry a team, but he can be a key player on a very good team. 

But he did have a heck of a night everywhere else...5 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals.  Shots aren't always going to drop; the difference between Thor the last couple of weeks and Thor mid-season is the confidence to take those shots.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

But he did have a heck of a night everywhere else...5 assists, 7 rebounds, 4 steals.  Shots aren't always going to drop; the difference between Thor the last couple of weeks and Thor mid-season is the confidence to take those shots.

Players shooting good shots create good things, make or miss. A player missing a good shot, as the philosopher Dr. Kenneth Sadler, PhD. said about shot clock violations, "is like a great punt." 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Players shooting good shots create good things, make or miss. A player missing a good shot, as the philosopher Dr. Kenneth Sadler, PhD. said about shot clock violations, "is like a great punt." 

Yup, which is why I don't like when TV or radio guys call every possession that doesn't end in points "empty."

I think if a possession doesn't end up with a good shot it's empty. Doesn't have to score to be a good possession.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The 5 assists, 7 rebounds, and 4 steals were all a career high performance for Thor, and all happened last night. So, yeah, he had a good game. Shooting isn't everything for Thor, yet his passing and court awareness are everything to his game.

15 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Everyone should want Thor back, if only for the chance that Thor would make the winning play in Nebraska's first ever NCAA Tournament win, Kent's radio call would rank among the all time great moments in sports broadcasting.

Thor would make the winning play... but it'd probably be a winning assist that no one remembers because he passed it to a wide open Lat or Bryce for the win.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, hskr4life said:

Thor would make the winning play... but it'd probably be a winning assist that no one remembers because he passed it to a wide open Lat or Bryce for the win.

Or a blocked shot

(insert video Thor blocking Bohanan's shot to seal the win)

Edited by Red Rum