2018 SG Au'Diese Toney -> Pitt -> Arkansas

• Nebrasketballer changed the title to 2018 SG Au'Diese Toney - Transfer from Pitt
3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . if we have a choice between having Thor and Kobe back for another season or taking two other transfers, which is the best option?

This isn't a 'this or that' proposition.

If Thor and/or Kobe come back, it does nothing to our scholarships.

If we add two other transfers, even if those two other transfers are also guys using their extra year, we would have to lose two players that aren't Thor or Kobe.

6 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I thought you were in favor of adding Johnson?

I'm more along the lines of poking fun at Nebraska calling every single guy that hits the transfer portal.  If Steve Pederson can go to Pittsburgh and make it work, maybe all of these guys can come to Nebraska and make it work. 🙃

Jokes aside we do need a PG; Johnson is obviously talented. I don't think we should normally solicit input from player about who we bring in but I'd be very curious as to what McGowens and Sham actually thought about playing with Johnson.

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm more along the lines of poking fun at Nebraska calling every single guy that hits the transfer portal.  If Steve Pederson can go to Pittsburgh and make it work, maybe all of these guys can come to Nebraska and make it work. 🙃

Jokes aside we do need a PG; Johnson is obviously talented. I don't think we should normally solicit input from player about who we bring in but I'd be very curious as to what McGowens and Sham actually thought about playing with Johnson.

I guess I looked at Toney as a transfer that McGowens could potentially give Nebraska a connection with (similar to the way that McGowens gave Nebraska a connection to Bryce that the Huskers wouldn't have had otherwise). To me, it doesn't have anything to do with Pitt as a school specifically, the school is just a coincidence. To me it's a function of the connection to McGowens that makes it interesting to me.

Obviously, I don't know if McGowens had a good relationship or a bad relationship with Toney, so I have no idea what Trey's thoughts on him would be. I just think it's an interesting dynamic.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I thought that might be the case. 🙂

I agree we need a point guard as well, but I don't think Johnson would be a good fit. Toney however is intriguing. If we had room and he wanted to come here...🤔

The real question is what's up with programs under Jeff Capel? He did the same thing at Oklahoma.

54 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This isn't a 'this or that' proposition.

If Thor and/or Kobe come back, it does nothing to our scholarships.

If we add two other transfers, even if those two other transfers are also guys using their extra year, we would have to lose two players that aren't Thor or Kobe.

So . . . if Thor and Kobe return, we get 15 scholarship players?  That would be cool.

Edited by Swan88

9 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I thought that might be the case. 🙂

I agree we need a point guard as well, but I don't think Johnson would be a good fit. Toney however is intriguing. If we had room and he wanted to come here...🤔

The real question is what's up with programs under Jeff Capel? He did the same thing at Oklahoma.

Yeah, I think you're right about Capel. His results without Blake Griffen playing for him have been pretty mixed.

I guess Toney and McGowens were AAU teammates.  I think if we want to pull the trigger on Toney, we'll be at the front of the line.

Is Toney a good fit?  He's versatile, the kind of guy who can guard multiple positions. Looks like he's got a nose for rebounding.  No rim protection.  Outside shot is shaky at best. Can get to the FT line. Has to sit a year to play one. Does that fill a need for us?  Does he fill our biggest need with our available scholarship? Can he fit into Hoiberg's offense?  

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Yeah, I think you're right about Capel. His results without Blake Griffen playing for him have been pretty mixed.

I guess Toney and McGowens were AAU teammates.  I think if we want to pull the trigger on Toney, we'll be at the front of the line.

Is Toney a good fit?  He's versatile, the kind of guy who can guard multiple positions. Looks like he's got a nose for rebounding.  No rim protection.  Outside shot is shaky at best. Can get to the FT line. Has to sit a year to play one. Does that fill a need for us?  Does he fill our biggest need with our available scholarship? Can he fit into Hoiberg's offense?  

Didn't realize he was a junior. That's not ideal, but it essentially would be the same as taking a grad transfer except he would have a year to get acclimated to the team/system. Whether he is a good fit, I don't know.

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Yeah, I think you're right about Toney not filling Nebraska's biggest need for 1 available scholarship. I guess I just assume that there will be more scholarships that open up. There are 1-2 more players that I think will end up leaving after this season. So I would guess that Nebraska adds a PG, in addition to another 1-2 players. Also, do we know for sure that he would have to sit out a year? I guess I haven't heard what the official ruling is on the transfer rule is for sitting out this next season. 

On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, 49r said:

16 because Walker I think.

15.  Walker counts against the limit.  The NCAA's COVID rules for '20-'21 season are:

-Anyone who plays this year won't have the season count toward their four year eligibility clock.  It is essentially an extra year of eligibility for players opting in for the year, and not penalizing players who opted out due to COVID risks.

-Anyone who uses that extra year of eligibility in the '21-'22 season won't count against the team's scholarship limit.

In other words, guys who are out of eligibility this year can come back as an extra player next year.  Guys who still would have had a year of eligibility anyways (like Walker) could in theory come back for an extra year in '22-'23, but will count toward the scholarship limit if they do so. 

It creates a scholarship numbers crunch in '22-'23 but is a freebie for '21-'22.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see that Matt had already answered the question succinctly.  Consider this a longwinded supplement.

Edited by aphilso1