Teddy Allen no Longer with the Program

hhcmatt

Per Nebraska Basketball Coach Fred Hoiberg, Teddy Allen is no longer with the team.

Teddy Allen

“I would like to thank Coach Hoiberg and his coaching staff for allowing me to come back to Nebraska and have the opportunity to play basketball in the best conference in the country. I appreciate the support I’ve received from everyone in the program. I am thankful for the love I have received from my teammates and the relationships we have built over the last year. I also want to give a special thank you to the Husker fans for their encouragement and support."

“After a lot of thought over the last few days, I have made the decision to focus on getting fully healthy in preparation for the next step in my basketball journey. I will continue to stay at Nebraska for the spring semester and work toward graduation. I am looking forward to what the future holds, as I explore my options.”

HC Fred Hoiberg

“I enjoyed the opportunity to coach Teddy over the past year, we will support him as he finishes the spring semester and wish him nothing but the best going forward.”

It's often been speculated here that Teddy might decide to go pro after a year and this announcement certain points towards that possibility.  Allen had been dealing with a wrist injury over the last couple of weeks that possibly factored into the decision to shut it down early.  Allen played in 22 games for the Huskers this season, averaging 16.5 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. He had 20 or more points eight times, including a career-high 41-point performance against Penn State on Feb. 23.

View full article

13 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Not too surprising, he would get benched, while others would do similar things and not.  Wasn't sure if he was going to try professional after this year anyways.

Do tell.

Banton was playing poorly and got sat down a couple times. Stevenson has played poorly and sat.  So it must be something else you're referring too?

11 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Do tell.

Banton was playing poorly and got sat down a couple times. Stevenson has played poorly and sat.  So it must be something else you're referring too?

Referring specifically to Saturday, Teddy shoots the 3 in transition and Fred immediately yanks him and never goes back in.  I think you need to live with your best 3 point shooter doing that occasionally.  Shamiel back to back possessions drives and throws up something in traffic and he was back in at the end of the game.  Not having Teddy in at end of game for free throws didn't make sense unless his wrist was hurt more than is being let on which could be or Fred was sending a message to Teddy that has been received.

16 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Referring specifically to Saturday, Teddy shoots the 3 in transition and Fred immediately yanks him and never goes back in.  I think you need to live with your best 3 point shooter doing that occasionally.  Shamiel back to back possessions drives and throws up something in traffic and he was back in at the end of the game.  Not having Teddy in at end of game for free throws didn't make sense unless his wrist was hurt more than is being let on which could be or Fred was sending a message to Teddy that has been received.

Wonder what Teddy said about getting pulled that got him benched for the rest of the game?

I didn't get to see the game so I am not sure about time&score which is huge deal. 

A couple of negatives that I personally fell about transitions 3's... I like it when jump shots are taken when you have rebounders in play, 2nd chance points.

Driving into traffic is not so good but at least you have a chance of drawing a foul.  Time&score matters here as well.

And finally I think jacking up a lot of 3's in transition can be frustrating to teammates as it's a lot of running for nothing.   If you do it to often it leads to standing around.  I have no idea if that's what is happening here, it's just my opinion of when to take 3's.   

11 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

If he's told Teddy that, then I would hope he's told Shamiel to stop going 1 on 3 because that doesn't end well either.

not saying you're wrong, I have no inside information but maybe Fred did tell Shamiel to stop and he did.  I really hope Teddy finds what he is looking for and finds happiness in what sounds like a dreadful life for a good part of his youth.  I hope he gets to live out his dream playing basketball at the next level. That said, the team showed Saturday night and several times this year we can be okay with out him.

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

He has, and they've worked on that and emphasized that. He's been pretty clear about that. Also, Shamiel doesn't start and gets yanked often. 

Played 7 minutes vs Penn St.

It seems more like we're changing our rotations at all points based on what is working or what isn't working.  Shamiel can pull some Shamiel plays if he's generally locked in or providing us good defense.  What happens after Teddy might come in and jack up a 3 was completely dependent on the situation. 

Its about recruiting to the system. Gonna land, gonna miss. The key is to never stray from the system. We took a chance on a kid early in Fred’s tenure and it didnt pan out. The great thing is we have a core of players that do fit, and three coming in that all add something to the current roster. We will be fine.