Progress?

HuskerFever

Progress?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen enough, post-COVID break, to say we've made "progress" this season?

• Yes
    • No

20 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I don’t think we can answer the progress question until we see who all puts their name in the transfer portal. If we return 4/5 of our starters plus at least 1-2 key subs, in addition to the solid recruiting class, then yes that is progress. 

Well this comment didn't age well.  Less than 24 hours later, and we are already down 1 potential returning starter.  The silver lining is that Teddy was the one starter who was most likely to move on.  

I still think that if we can keep Walker, Lat, Banton, and Trey -- plus at least one of Kobe, Andre, and Shamiel -- that is a solid amount of returning productivity.  Add in some fresh talent from the recruiting class and I think that is clearly progress, even without retaining Teddy.

2 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I feel like for long term success Andre is a must keep 

Yeah, definitely.  Andre looks like a long-term project that will reap major benefits in Years 3 and 4.   So I agree to an extent.  For "progress" though, I just want to see a core nucleus of players return.  Like most of us, I have been slightly bamboozled by the individual 'talent upgrades' over the past couple seasons that haven't produced on-court progress.  I really think the key to becoming a mediocre team (rather than outright terrible like we currently are) is just to bring back the same group of guys for a second year.  That's the minimum bar I am looking to see reached, in order to feel like this season wasn't a complete waste.  But you are absolutely right -- for long term success, we need to retain our best freshmen long enough to see them become upperclassmen.  That's what I want to see long-term also.  In the short term though?  If I don't have to completely relearn the names and numbers on our roster, then I am happy.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, definitely.  Andre looks like a long-term project that will reap major benefits in Years 3 and 4.   So I agree to an extent.  For "progress" though, I just want to see a core nucleus of players return.  Like most of us, I have been slightly bamboozled by the individual 'talent upgrades' over the past couple seasons that haven't produced on-court progress.  I really think the key to becoming a mediocre team (rather than outright terrible like we currently are) is just to bring back the same group of guys for a second year.  That's the minimum bar I am looking to see reached, in order to feel like this season wasn't a complete waste.  But you are absolutely right -- for long term success, we need to retain our best freshmen long enough to see them become upperclassmen.  That's what I want to see long-term also.  In the short term though?  If I don't have to completely relearn the names and numbers on our roster, then I am happy.

Yup 100 percent agree w everything here. I was a teddy supporter and still am but I would guess his departure likely helps retain guys too. 

13 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I have been saying this all year, with Stevenson. And with Lat's attitude towards refs, opposing players, and teammates lately (yelling at them in front of everyone, throwing his hands up, etc...) I would say it's time for him to get bumped. Also, I'd rather see this team attacking the rim to start the game versus shooting quick ones from 3. Stevenson gives us that. 

It’s amazing how much a few hours can change things. 

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

My reverse jinx is a thing of beauty.

I do have to defend my self a bit - my issues with Lat were rarely with his play. His attitude was becoming bothersome. 

I still agree with you with the exception of if we are gonna pass the ball like the globetrotters then ya lats gonna be pretty effective. Like you said it’s not a skill issue with lat it was a pple not getting him open looks issue. 

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I still agree with you with the exception of if we are gonna pass the ball like the globetrotters then ya lats gonna be pretty effective. Like you said it’s not a skill issue with lat it was a pple not getting him open looks issue. 

Well, until last night, it was also with Lat not hitting open shots. 

His issue all year has been between his ears - I hope last night changed his confidence for good. 

49 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I’ll take the heat for what I am wrong about but I wonder if I’ll get credit for what I’ve gotten right... 

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to single anyone out, so don't take my post personally.