Progress?

HuskerFever

Progress?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen enough, post-COVID break, to say we've made "progress" this season?

• Yes
    • No

DISCLAIMER: FORGET PRE-COVID BREAK (11/25/20 to 1/24/21).

Post-COVID break, would you say that you've seen enough to say that we've made some progress season-over-season under Hoiberg? Or have we regressed?

(I'm not saying "are we good" or "are we bad".)

Curious to hear the Board's thoughts. I have to take some time to think about this myself.

The only reason this comes up is because at the start of the season, I was adamant and vocal about having only one expectation. Not wins and losses, but "just make progress going into next season " (which should be our best roster in quite some time (ever)?). That "anything less than progress would be a waste of such an opportunity next season".

Curious to hear your thoughts. As said, In going to take some time to determine this myself.

Has any team in the history of college basketball had to play the kind of schedule we have played since we've returned from the pause due to covid? In arguably the toughest conference from top to bottom to boot. In what has to have been a physical and mental grind for the players, they have continued to compete hard every time they've stepped on the court. That alone gets a yes vote from me. Also, when you win a conference game with your leading scorer going scoreless and only playing 10 minutes due to 'Coach's Decision' shows progress.

To me, our success this season was going to be determined by how quickly the team jelled together. Throw in the Walker suspension and then the pause for covid, it's no wonder we've seen the struggles we have. Having said this, we have been our own worst enemy at times with silly turnovers and decision making in general. Clean this up, and we make even more progress heading into next season. We appear to be getting better as a team overall, even though we have had several key players that have experienced up and down seasons. It was good to see Banton reappear last night, now we Teddy back again.

As Hugh noted, Walk being suspended sucked for this team. We're completely different with him in the lineup - and he didn't even get a non-con to ramp up and gel with the guys in live games. I know this isn't the first time I've said this, but I'm excited for next year. There is gonna be a lot of pieces. 

Are we playing better than when we were pre-“shutdown” absolutely. Are there reasons to be hopeful, certainly. You are what your record says you are though & another 2-3 win Conference record can’t be considered progress. BUT, the addition of Bryce, Wilhelm & a 5th year Thor already puts us firmly on the Bubble...

I've seen some progress in very promising areas and some inconsistencies along the way also.

For example, I have been extremely impressed with how the defense has looked with Walker in the lineup. That is something that can 100% carry over into next year.

Turnovers are very inconsistent right now however. It's extremely frustrating at times. 

I've seen enough to say we've made SOME progress, it's just not consistent right now. 

I don’t think we can answer the progress question until we see who all puts their name in the transfer portal. If we return 4/5 of our starters plus at least 1-2 key subs, in addition to the solid recruiting class, then yes that is progress. 

I went with yes, in part because I'm feeling unusually optimistic today. 

On the other hand, it's kind of a loaded question given how low the starting bar was, isn't it? It would've been hard *not* to improve at least somewhere. And we've done that. 

It's tough to ignore pre-covid break.  We lost to Nevada and didn't really look competitive much at all in most games that meant something.  Now, with that being said, if I am strictly answering the question, I would say that post-covid is what I expected this whole year.  Competitive games, winning a few, better offensive flow (for the most part... we still have our stretches).  I didn't expect to dance or make any type of post season this year.  I did expect us to win 5-7 conference games though.  5-15, I didn't feel, was too much to ask.

So yes, I would say post covid, we are showing progress.

Edited by hskr4life

To me the one thing that could propel this team to the next level is a true PG.  Like a Glynn Watson type player.  Taking care of the ball has to get much better if we are going to make a big move.  Hopefully some of that will happen with the team being more familiar with each other next year.  This really has been a second “year 1” for the program.  

11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Are we playing better than when we were pre-“shutdown” absolutely. Are there reasons to be hopeful, certainly. You are what your record says you are though & another 2-3 win Conference record can’t be considered progress. BUT, the addition of Bryce, Wilhelm & a 5th year Thor already puts us firmly on the Bubble...

I like the optimism and think Wihelm will be a damn good player but traditionally it takes bigs a year or 2 to develop. Especially in this league. 

34 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

I like the optimism and think Wihelm will be a damn good player but traditionally it takes bigs a year or 2 to develop. Especially in this league. 

With Walker and the progress of Andre I think Wilhelm will be a great backup to them and Mayen for next year. 

11 hours ago, busticket said:

To me the one thing that could propel this team to the next level is a true PG.  Like a Glynn Watson type player.  Taking care of the ball has to get much better if we are going to make a big move.  Hopefully some of that will happen with the team being more familiar with each other next year.  This really has been a second “year 1” for the program.  

Second year zero, IMO.

33 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Stevenson or banton starting at the 4 is the way my friend 

I have been saying this all year, with Stevenson. And with Lat's attitude towards refs, opposing players, and teammates lately (yelling at them in front of everyone, throwing his hands up, etc...) I would say it's time for him to get bumped. Also, I'd rather see this team attacking the rim to start the game versus shooting quick ones from 3. Stevenson gives us that. 

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

How much did Trey bring the ball up the court last game?  I noticed it but didn't necessarily track.

Seemed like a lot more than previous games but I’m not sure. I will say I don’t recall him having any WTF turnovers like banton has as PG although I think trey had 3 or 4 TOs for the game. 

40 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I have been saying this all year, with Stevenson. And with Lat's attitude towards refs, opposing players, and teammates lately (yelling at them in front of everyone, throwing his hands up, etc...) I would say it's time for him to get bumped. Also, I'd rather see this team attacking the rim to start the game versus shooting quick ones from 3. Stevenson gives us that. 

I don’t dislike Lat as a player we just don’t have the PG/playmaker on offense to consistently get him looks and he’s kinda a zero on defense it seems like. Stevenson has his flaws(driving to the hoop w his head down like a middle schooler) he brings a better skill set on offense for our current group and is a better defender IMO

Feels like an important pivot late in the season was the start of the second half of the Purdue game where we came out with the guys playing well to start instead of the game starters. Maybe it's just coincidental but it seems like from that point on we've been sticking with rotations per game that work for us. 

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like an important pivot late in the season was the start of the second half of the Purdue game where we came out with the guys playing well to start instead of the game starters. Maybe it's just coincidental but it seems like from that point on we've been sticking with rotations per game that work for us. 

I believe the lineup was Trey, kobe, Thor, Shamiel, and Walker? Might've been andre in the middle.

But overall, I agree. You can point to the other night with Thor playing the chunk of the wing minutes since he was on his game. And so on so forth

I think Aphilso pointed out the biggest point for me.   We need most of our players to come back so that the program can grow off of the B1G experience  as a unit.  Grow as a core unit  and then supplement with our new recruits.  

I thought the experience from year 1 would carry over more, but it was too much of a reset.   

Edited by REDitus