uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 23 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I'll just go ahead and say it.  I won't be upset to see ANY of the players return next year if they want to.  We add some key pieces, but the players who could return as a super senior are great pieces who know their roles and stepped up big when we needed it tonight.

We're 1 over the scholarship level so at least one of the 13 guys with regular eligibility will need to go. Seems like Wood or Lakes fits that bill.

4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

15 - 58 in Big 10 road games, and 17 - 73 in true road games. 32 -89 away from home.

Yikes. It was interesting to see that NU is better than Pitino in B1G roadies in Richard's tenure. I know Miles had a couple great years with a bunch of road victories, but overall it's not been too good for Nebraska (as I imagined).

Notes and quotes

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska shot over 50 percent for the second time in the last three games, finishing at 54.5 percent, its highest percentage in Big Ten play this season
*-Nebraska shot a season-best 52.9 percent from 3-point range (9-of-17), the first time NU shot 50 percent of better from long range since Nov.25, 2019 against Washington State
*-The home team has won 14 of the last 15 meetings in the series dating back to 2013.  NU is now 6-0 against Minnesota in Pinnacle Bank Arena

*-Nebraska put five players in double figures for the fifth time this season.
*-Nebraska’s 19 assists ties its highest effort in Big Ten play (at Penn State on 2/14)
*-Thorir Thorbjarnarson had a season-high 10 points in tonight’s start. It was his first double-figure effort of the year. He is now the 10th Husker with a double-figure game in 2020-21
*-Derrick Walker posted career highs in points (11), rebounds (nine) and minutes (31).
*Marcus Carr’s 41-point effort tied the PBA record for most points set earlier this week by Teddy Allen. Prior to tonight, the last 40-point game for a Husker opponent was Jarrius Jackson of Texas Tech, who had 41 on Feb. 18, 2006.

Nebraska Head Coach Fred Hoiberg

On tonight’s game

“Kobe  (Webster), I thought, was rock solid out there all night long, play after play. A really good win, a fun win, for our seniors. A stressful win for me. We had some miscues there at the end. We found a way and for a team that hadn’t been in this position much, I thought we executed the foul, up 3 very well and then Thor knocked down the game-clenching free-throws. I’m really happy for the seniors, and you know you remember this game (Senior Night). It was a great win for us and especially for our seniors. They will remember this for a long time.”

On the team’s resolve through this game

“For the guys to continue to come into work, that’s the behind-the-scenes stuff that people don’t see. I think everybody appreciates the effort our players have gone out a played with, facing more adversity than any team in the country with everything that we have gone through in the middle of our season. The workman’s-like approach that I see these guys come in with day in and day out with the losses that we’ve had, I think speaks to the character of our group. That’s what I’m most proud of, seeing something like this pay off for them. To get over the hump and get a win late in the year. We continue to stress, as I said yesterday, we had the mentality going into this game 0-0 and we are going to continue to fight all the way through these last four. Hopefully get something to feel good about going into the tournament and into the off-season. I’m so proud of these guys for how they’ve continued to work through very difficult, tumultuous times and they’re going to continue to work. They’ll be in there tomorrow, get to put in another one-day prep, game plan for a very talented Rutgers team, but they’ll be in there ready to roll and put this one behind and try to go out and compete again on Monday night.”

On Dalano Banton’s game

“I thought his pace and his purpose was much better. We had a good meeting and talk getting back to that. We got to the point where he was so exhausted in the second half because of everything he was doing out there on the floor. We had to get him out for a short little stretch, but we ran a little isolation play, a little post up where they get an and-one and Minnesota had cut that to a one possession game. That was a huge play and just all the little things he did down the stretch, even defensively, I thought he made some big plays and stunts out there. I thought Trey (McGowens) played maybe one of his most efficient games of the year. It was great to see the balance of five guys in double figures. We just went out there and played the right way tonight. We had too many turnovers, no doubt about it, but I think only six in the second half, so we did a better job. Offensive rebounds as well we did a better job in the second half.

Minnesota Head Coach Richard Pitino

On Marcus Carr’s 41-point effort

“Amazing. We would have had no shot without him. I actually yelled to him in the first half. I said, ‘Go get us 40,’ and he got us 41. So, he almost willed us to victory. I'm proud of him. He showed unbelievable heart and determination.”

On Nebraska’s success at the rim

“Defensively, we’re turning people over. I don't want to use injuries, but those two guys, Gabe (Kalscheur) and Liam (Robbins), are big parts of it. They’re such a hard driving team. We would have been able to block some more shots. We were able to turn them over a little bit, but of course we're missing them.”

On the team’s biggest problem against Nebraska

“Defensively, couldn't really get a stop. I thought we missed a lot of open shots. Where we came back was when we had them in a double bonus. That's where we started chipping away and getting points.”

On what he told the team after the game

“I told them enjoy the process. Enjoy being in college. It's a weird college experience, obviously, but embrace it. Love it. Love the time that you have with your teammates. Love playing basketball. Obviously, we've dealt with a lot of adversity. The one thing I've said over and over again is nobody's ever going to feel sorry for you. That's just the reality of it. So pour your heart soul into whatever it is that you do every single day and you'll enjoy that process.”

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yikes. It was interesting to see that NU is better than Pitino in B1G roadies in Richard's tenure. I know Miles had a couple great years with a bunch of road victories, but overall it's not been too good for Nebraska (as I imagined).

Man those wins at MSU were fun.  Still watch the highlights from Petteway's year over and over!

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

Miles averaged a little over 2 wins a season.  He had 3 wins 3 x, and 4 wins 1 x.  Surprisingly, the 4 win total we were a road team in the NIT.  And 1 and 0 the other 2 seasons.

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

*-Nebraska shot over 50 percent for the second time in the last three games, finishing at 54.5 percent, its highest percentage in Big Ten play this season

TLDR;

This is one of the keys. We lose this game (and have lost some other games this season) solely because of our lack of shooting performance.

Post-COVID I have been very impressed with our team's ability to stay in games that we probably never should have been in. But that was because of our defense, coupled with some bad shooting spurts by our opponents.

If we can figure out some of the kinks in our offense, we would probably have more than double the conference wins we have now.

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yeah, maybe he hits the weight room

had this offseason and is able to play some 4 next year? He definitely can shoot just isn’t quick enough to play defense on the wing IMO

Yeah, I have noticed his D is subpar. He has a decent stroke from the land of plenty if he's given room to shoot. I could see Lakes improve enough to see some action next year, even if it's a change of pace from the starters/rotation.

37 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We're 1 over the scholarship level so at least one of the 13 guys with regular eligibility will need to go. Seems like Wood or Lakes fits that bill.

Since Lakes was eligible and played, his fourth year (senior year) was this year.  As with the other seniors who opt to come back, he should not count against the limit next year.

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Since Lakes was eligible and played, his fourth year (senior year) was this year.  As with the other seniors who opt to come back, he should not count against the limit next year.

Hadn't considered that. That would be quite the loophole if it works out.

4 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Yeah I thought I heard that if a senior comes back his “ship” wouldn’t count against the teams... but I may be misremembering.🤔