uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 23 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

Seems like for the first time since Aleks maric that the center position may be a true strength of ours next season and that’s not even factoring in  any contributions from Wilhelm. 

It seems like it would be very beneficial to both Banton and us for him to add around 20 pounds this offseason so he could play the 4 more often. Already one of our better rebounders and his length really shows on defense, matching up against other 4s on offense seems like it’s a win/win scenario for both party’s 

Just now, HuskerFever said:

...maybe even both.

Eeek, in all seriousness it sounds like Miles may be the front runner for the Lobos job. I’d like to see him get back in the game and that would be a good job for him. 

Back to the Skers...the season is a success if we win in Iowa City next week. 

3 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Yeah but he looks like a kid that would struggle to put on 5. A problem I wish I had.

Yeah im Sure the coaching staff is aware he would be more of a mismatch at the 4 too. 

his 247 profile shows he’s gained about 30 pounds since his high school senior year but he was listed at 195 in 2019 at WKU.  Guessing he either can’t or doesn’t want to put more weight on if he’s gained only ten pounds in 2 years. Had a heck of an efficient game today though 

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yeah im Sure the coaching staff is aware he would be more of a mismatch at the 4 too. 

his 247 profile shows he’s gained about 30 pounds since his high school senior year but he was listed at 195 in 2019 at WKU.  Guessing he either can’t or doesn’t want to put more weight on if he’s gained only ten pounds in 2 years. Had a heck of an efficient game today though 

To be clear though I would love for him to be able to put on 20lbs and move to the 4.

7 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Yeah but he looks like a kid that would struggle to put on 5. A problem I wish I had.

If Banton could get up to 220 and become a legit 30-33% shooter from 3, he would end up making, what, 5-10 times as much money the next 10 years than he otherwise will?  That seems like it should be motivation.

13 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Eeek, in all seriousness it sounds like Miles may be the front runner for the Lobos job. I’d like to see him get back in the game and that would be a good job for him. 

Back to the Skers...the season is a success if we win in Iowa City next week. 

I think New Mexico is a much better fit, also.  He's more of a coach to take a 4 - 14 conference team to a constant bubble team, than a constant bubble team to a constant tournament team.

5 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Banton could get up to 220 and become a legit 30-33% shooter from 3, he would end up making, what, 5-10 times as much money the next 10 years than he otherwise will?  That seems like it should be motivation.

Ya that’s kinda what I was getting at. 6’9” 205 likely won’t play in the nba. 6’9” 225 has a much better shot at atleast being a bench wing in the NBA I think. It wouldn’t even have to be 20 pounds of muscle necessarily 

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Honestly...that statement in and of itself makes me so hopeful and excited. This tells me that Walker (and hopefully the rest of the team) believe in the process and have bought into the mission.

Now if Webster and Thor come back that would be great.

Don’t get me wrong we still have some holes in our game (turnovers/free throws to name a few) but I truly feel like the last month of basketball from this team is showing the talent we were hearing about all season.  It’s starting to click and guys are getting out of funks finally, it’s also amazing how much better we play when we pass the ball around and move, I know teddy didn’t score today but he had at least 3-4 great dishes that set up easy dunks.  We add some more talent next year and shoot the ball better and we can be a thorn in this conferences paw.  

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Now if Webster and Thor come back that would be great.

Yeah, I personally haven't been vocal one way or another about this one. But I could see "it would be great to have a player with such good work ethic and IQ on the roster" or "it's time to move on for Thor, best wishes". But I'm content either way. The fact it doesn't impact scholarship size makes it even moreso "you wanna stay and travel around the US during the summer? Stick around and we'll support you".

Edited by HuskerFever