Coaching Carousel 2021

hhcmatt

On 4/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I have heard that there may be another announcement by Creighton in the next few days.  But with the hiring of new assistants, it must not be a tree shaker.

They hired the uncle of their top 100 recruit who was verbally committed but had not signed his LOI. He's now signed.

I'm sure that was just a coincidence.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

They hired the uncle of their top 100 recruit who was verbally committed but had not signed his LOI. He's now signed.

I'm sure that was just a coincidence.

Well, I guess that qualifies as a good job for a family member. Since he signed, I'm guessing the six-figure check must have cleared too. Good to see things back to normal at the plantation.

7 minutes ago, throwback said:

Well, I guess that qualifies as a good job for a family member. Since he signed, I'm guessing the six-figure check must have cleared too. Good to see things back to normal at the plantation.

7 minutes ago, throwback said:

The real question is who will get paid more?

So . . .
     (I) a justification we’ve all heard for the bribery thing is that everyone cheats, and

(II) a justification for hiring a recruit’s close relative is that Nebrasketball would do it too, given the right opportunity?

Am I understanding this correctly?

27 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I swear I remember Nebraska doing this exact thing before. Someones Uncle I think. 

21 minutes ago, 49r said:

Danny hired Gary Bargen and his son, Jed, played on the team.  I don't remember if he was a walk on or not though.

I think Jamel White's uncle is the guy being referenced.  

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Danny hired Gary Bargen and his son, Jed, played on the team.  I don't remember if he was a walk on or not though.

Walk-on.  Gary's younger son Mike was the better player, and went to Marquette on scholarship.   Was a decent player there. 

11 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Since we are on the topic of relatives-hired-to-recruit players, one of the greatest examples, Danny Manning was just hired as an assistant to Mark Turgeon. 

I wonder if Danny Manning ever thought that he'd better be nice to that little walk-on, since he might be working for him some day.

Regarding father/son deals here, Danny Nee hired Arden Reid as director of basketball operations his first year (and then fired him a few years later).

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I think Jamel White's uncle is the guy being referenced.  

If that's what's being referenced, it'd would be a pretty stupid comparison by whomever is making it (not you, obviously) because Jamel White was ALREADY ON THE TEAM when we hired his uncle.

The only reason Barry hired Jamel's uncle was because nobody else would come work for him. All the credible candidates had turned him down. They all figured he'd be fired as soon as Steve Pederson had a chance and nobody wanted to go down with that sinking ship. Except a completely not-qualified guy who wasn't otherwise busy at the time. And who just happened to have a nephew on the team.

Less than 4 months later, Collier quit and his staff went with him. There was no quid pro Miller involved in that situation.

So, the situations are not even remotely comparable

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If that's what's being referenced, it'd would be a pretty stupid comparison by whomever is making it (not you, obviously) because Jamel White was ALREADY ON THE TEAM when we hired his uncle.

The only reason Barry hired Jamel's uncle was because nobody else would come work for him. All the credible candidates had turned him down. They all figured he'd be fired as soon as Steve Pederson had a chance and nobody wanted to go down with that sinking ship. Except a completely not-qualified guy who wasn't otherwise busy at the time. And who just happened to have a nephew on the team.

Less than 4 months later, Collier quit and his staff went with him. There was no quid pro Miller involved in that situation.

So, the situations are not even remotely comparable

Man, I could be totally wrong but the way I remember Jamel was ready to jump ship and to get him to stay his uncle was hired. But, any info I would have got is from this message board so it is what it is. 

7 hours ago, Swan88 said:

So . . .
     (I) a justification we’ve all heard for the bribery thing is that everyone cheats, and

(II) a justification for hiring a recruit’s close relative is that Nebrasketball would do it too, given the right opportunity?

Am I understanding this correctly?

My understanding is that it isn’t actually against the rules. It looks a little weird, maybe, but I’m ok with that. 

I'm sure there must be some sort of "egregious" clause to the rules to prevent a player's Grandma, for example, being hired as an assistant. (actually I just wanted to use egregious in a sentence this morning). I think most schools simply comply to the old unwritten rule "It's not breaking the rules unless you get caught". (Actually, some guy in Kentucky ran for county sheriff and won using the phrase " its not against the law unless you get caught".)