Coaching Carousel 2021

hhcmatt

Suspect he'd rather podcast than be an assistant.
Seems like he could get that San Jose St job in the MWC if he wanted to.

Tim miles was seriously considered last time Minnesota needed a head coach. He had only been at Nebraska for 2 years but I know he spoke to MN but I believe he passed and they hired Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of gopher fans not thrilled w the hire but a few are sure hopeful miles will come be an assistant. Johnson getting a 2 million dollar salary having never been a coach and being known as an okay recruiter has to be due to him being alumni right? 

He has ties to MN and one big concern was inability to keep local kids.

The other issue was their AD has hired like 18 white people in a row and a lot thought he was feeling the pressure to hire a minority.

Most MN fans don’t like the hire. The media is asking a lot of questions as well.

If BEN can relate to local kids and keep the second tier kids home, I think he will have the talent.

Media not real gung ho about the Woodson hire but the addition of Matta adds some oomph. Also being reported that Woodson has reached out to 80 year old Larry Brown to be part of the staff. Not sure how to respond with that.   

6 hours ago, LK1 said:

Woodson is a hell of a coach.  I don't know how much is left in the energy tank but he and Matta are two very good minds.  I think this is a very underrated hire.  

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Thad Matta is the "Associate AD". Although this seems to be a "make it what you want it to be", I'm assuming that doesn't come with any sort of in-game duties.

It can't. I think the position might be roughly equivalent to what Bobby Lutz was doing

On 3/27/2021 at 12:47 PM, Minnesota_Husker said:

He has ties to MN and one big concern was inability to keep local kids.

The other issue was their AD has hired like 18 white people in a row and a lot thought he was feeling the pressure to hire a minority.

Most MN fans don’t like the hire. The media is asking a lot of questions as well.

If BEN can relate to local kids and keep the second tier kids home, I think he will have the talent.

Just listening to Common & Rosie on KFAN that Johnson hire has been met with a resounding thud...

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Just listening to Common & Rosie on KFAN that Johnson hire has been met with a resounding thud...

Let's just say that over at Gopher Hole... they are fighting about whether "All In" is a meaningless phrase or not.  Not exactly the kind of message board material you'd want to see after hiring a coach two weeks ago.  HAHA!

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:
12 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Let's just say that over at Gopher Hole... they are fighting about whether "All In" is a meaningless phrase or not.  Not exactly the kind of message board material you'd want to see after hiring a coach two weeks ago.  HAHA!

And meanwhile on the Utah State message board, all their time and energy is trying to justify that maybe they were on the decline with Craig Smith, or that Utah is such a worse job than Utah State, or that they're going to root for BYU over Utah.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And meanwhile on the Utah State message board, all their time and energy is trying to justify that maybe they were on the decline with Craig Smith, or that Utah is such a worse job than Utah State, or that they're going to root for BYU over Utah.

Their declines and our declines look a lot different if so!

51 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Thad Matta is the "Associate AD". Although this seems to be a "make it what you want it to be", I'm assuming that doesn't come with any sort of in-game duties.

Doesn't hurt to have a successful coach in his former league to seek advice. 

11 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Whoever they hire is likely going to be fired in 3-4 years because they can't win like Smith did.

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I live halfway between Utah State's and Utah's campuses, just under an hour to either one.  Then BYU is another 30-45 minutes past U of Utah.  It's kind of a weird sports scene out here.  You get a lot of casual BYU fans who never attended the school, but will pay a little attention to the team due to the religious connection.  So even though they are the furthest campus away I feel like I see more BYU hats and t-shirts than the others.  Then the Utes are kind of bizarre.  A bit of a hippy school, at least by Utah standards.  Kind of like a really palatable, mild version of the U of Colorado.  I'm sure there are rabid Ute fans but I just don't come across any of them.  Seems they are too busy hiking, biking, and snowboarding to pay attention to sports.  And then surprisingly, there are quite a few massive Utah State fans that I run across.  Definitely seems like the school where alumnae have the most school pride and a serious case of little brother-itis.  USU is an ag school tucked away in the northeast corner of the state, away from the major population corridor of the Wasatch Front.  Feels kind of like UNK if the Lopers were a Division 1 team with an actual fanbase and athletic funding.  And then on top of all that, the Utah Jazz and Real Salt Lake both are pretty popular.

So anyway, it's kind of an abrupt change of pace from Nebraska where everything revolves around the Huskers.  Two pro sports teams, a PAC-12 team, and two teams in smaller D1 conferences but with seemingly more invested fanbases than their PAC-12 rival.  Not surprising at all that the USU message boards are getting worked up.