Coaching Carousel 2021

hhcmatt

6 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Interesting twist. 

Miles would really like the Minnesota job, so he might push for that

According to the Lobos experts, Miles should probably only look for schools that are isolated by 3+ hours from any professional team, a school that puts resources into the basketball program, has a history of a chip on its shoulder, and has fan support.

Maybe Miles should try to get a job in Lincoln? Sounds much better than a place like Albuquerque.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

According to the Lobos experts, Miles should probably only look for schools that are isolated by 3+ hours from any professional team, a school that puts resources into the basketball program, has a history of a chip on its shoulder, and has fan support.

Maybe Miles should try to get a job in Lincoln? Sounds much better than a place like Albuquerque.

I lived in that area for a year in HS and I'm really shocked that the lobo fans are like this after reading what y'all are saying. 

You're in the mountain west. Get off your high horse. Miles has had success in that league and y'all would be lucky to have him 

44 minutes ago, 49r said:

They seem to be awful high on Richard Pitino over there, they much prefer him to Miles.  But they don't mention (or aren't aware) that Tim Miles was 6-3 in games against Pitino.

Also must not be aware that Minnesota fans have been trying to get rid of pitino for years lol. A couple guys over there even highlighted his recruiting abilities and that seemed like one of the things Minnesota fans had the biggest issues with. 

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

This can't be a legit Twitter account, can it?

If your only concern is winning basketball I'd think most of us would pick Pitino over Miles. Miles is also a harder sell at New Mexico because his skill is program building; New Mexico fancies itself as a has-been, not a never-was.

I don't blame New Mexico fans for having high standards. They've been in the NCAA 15 times and have won 8 times.

They were the top team in the Mountain West when Alford was there. Tim Miles had a 28-50 MW record during that time, and got to the NCAA once with an 8-6 conference record. So imagine for  our next football hire if we offered the job to Dan McCarney.

I think people in Nebraska have a much higher opinion of Miles than the rest of the country does. I seriously doubt he gets a power conference job, unless it's a lower-tier school that doesn't have the big bucks for a splash hire. Tim's a personable guy, but his record just isn't going to excite anybody. 

33 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I don't blame New Mexico fans for having high standards. They've been in the NCAA 15 times and have won 8 times.

They were the top team in the Mountain West when Alford was there. Tim Miles had a 28-50 MW record during that time, and got to the NCAA once with an 8-6 conference record. So imagine for  our next football hire if we offered the job to Dan McCarney.

I think people in Nebraska have a much higher opinion of Miles than the rest of the country does. I seriously doubt he gets a power conference job, unless it's a lower-tier school that doesn't have the big bucks for a splash hire. Tim's a personable guy, but his record just isn't going to excite anybody. 

That's a reasonable take, but given the choice between Miles and Pitino I'm taking Miles all day every day.  I think the only reason they prefer Pitino is because of his last name.  I think they'll be in for a rude awakening when they find out he's nowhere near his old man as a coach.

38 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

This seems to me to be a pretty accurate take.  I think Tim Miles was an essential interim step to building the program we all hope to have.  He was responsible for bringing a lot of talent to Lincoln to look us over, especially in his first couple of years, but just didn't have the cred to sign.  While the cupboard he inherited was not bare (Ubel, Gallegos, Talley, Shavon, Benzo) it was much less than half-full.  Nevertheless, Tim Miles did attract a surprising amount of talent to Lincoln during his tenure and gave us a lot of good basketball.   He just couldn't attract enough of it to get us 'over the hump.'

Perennially predicted to end up at, or next to, the bottom of the Big Ten, he seemed to manage to pretty much wind up somewhere in the middle of the conference every year after his first couple years.  Who can forget the excitement of those earlier Miles years;  'No Sit Sunday' (Frank Kaminsky was quoted as saying it was one of the most exciting games he had ever been in "and we Lost that one" he said) and Miles did seem to have Izzo's number.  All this proved a real "Shot in the Arm" for the Husker Program and Fan Base.  Before this, I don't believe the Huskers had any chance to hire a high-profile Head Coach (not even a Rick Patino  - had we wanted him).

20 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If we're matching up Pitino vs. Miles, Miles would be a better option in the minds of most basketball fans and AD's

Miles in the Big 10, 40.6 % conference winning percentage after taking over a team who was coming off a 4-14 season. 1 NCAA tournament team, going 0 - 1 (I truly believe if we were invited to the tournament in 2017-18, or Copeland doesn't go down in 2018-19, we have a tournament win)

Pitino in the Big 10, 36.0% conference winning percentage after taking over an NCAA tournament team. 2 NCAA tournament teams going 1 - 2

On 3/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, hhcmatt said:

If your only concern is winning basketball I'd think most of us would pick Pitino over Miles. Miles is also a harder sell at New Mexico because his skill is program building; New Mexico fancies itself as a has-been, not a never-was.

Sorry, I thought this meant Rick Pitino.  lol if it is Richard Pitino