Coaching Carousel 2021

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

If you guys want a laugh, this is from "AmesHusker" on a ISU board...

Moos has been awfully quiet on the public support of Fred. THe idiot goes out of his way to praise Frost at every opportunity despite Frost failing worse if you consider what they had when they started. Moos was not the one doing the hiring with Fred so doubt he has any real allegiance to Fred. THe AD is an utter disaster at Nebraska which is why others had to handle the Fred hiring. I can really see why he would want out there. The criticism he has gotten is 1000% more than Frost has gotten and Frost is more of a failure. The media (outside of Mitch Sherman) in Nebraska are scared of Frost so won't dare utter one negative word but they are fine to criticize Fred to no end. Fred stepped into a roster with one P5 level player and even that is border line in Thor. Fred has made Thor into an excellent role player. Fred missed on some transfer for sure but while the media speaks patience for Scott Fraud they demand immediate results from Fred. I can see Fred wanting out and Moos wanting him out so that folks focus on a new basketball coach rather than opening their eyes to the failure of Frost.

His take on Moos is completely off base.  Moos has consistently preached patience with Hoiberg and his staff and seems to do so during every monthly AD radio show he has.  One key difference between football and basketball is that there has been utterly no improvement in football after three years so Moos likely feels the pressure that he has to go out of his way to speak more frequently about football to try and calm down the rabid football fan base.  And, if we're all being honest, football is the State's first, second, and third priority with basketball taking a big back seat.  There is also some heat being applied to Frost after his third season and some tough questions are being asked about his program.  Moos feels like he has to go out of his way to defend Frost, which I completely understand and what any good AD would do for the Coach they hired and believe in.  The basketball program is in a completely different phase of their rebuild and there is really no such heat being applied to Hoiberg, outside of maybe a few on the lunatic fringe.

Moos has been awfully quiet on the public support of Fred. THe idiot goes out of his way to praise Frost at every opportunity despite Frost failing worse if you consider what they had when they started. Moos was not the one doing the hiring with Fred so doubt he has any real allegiance to Fred. THe AD is an utter disaster at Nebraska which is why others had to handle the Fred hiring. I can really see why he would want out there. The criticism he has gotten is 1000% more than Frost has gotten and Frost is more of a failure. The media (outside of Mitch Sherman) in Nebraska are scared of Frost so won't dare utter one negative word but they are fine to criticize Fred to no end. Fred stepped into a roster with one P5 level player and even that is border line in Thor. Fred has made Thor into an excellent role player. Fred missed on some transfer for sure but while the media speaks patience for Scott Fraud they demand immediate results from Fred. I can see Fred wanting out and Moos wanting him out so that folks focus on a new basketball coach rather than opening their eyes to the failure of Frost.

I remember him during the Miles tenure on here lol

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

His take on Moos is completely off base.  Moos has consistently preached patience with Hoiberg and his staff and seems to do so during every monthly AD radio show he has.  One key difference between football and basketball is that there has been utterly no improvement in football after three years so Moos likely feels the pressure that he has to go out of his way to speak more frequently about football to try and calm down the rabid football fan base.  And, if we're all being honest, football is the State's first, second, and third priority with basketball taking a big back seat.  There is also some heat being applied to Frost after his third season and some tough questions are being asked about his program.  Moos feels like he has to go out of his way to defend Frost, which I completely understand and what any good AD would do for the Coach they hired and believe in.  The basketball program is in a completely different phase of their rebuild and there is really no such heat being applied to Hoiberg, outside of maybe a few on the lunatic fringe.

Agreed. I absolutely have seen no real pressure from Moos or the media or the fans. Maybe some grumbling. The fact this dude thinks Moos and the Media are pushing Fred out is the one dumbest things I’ve read read on the internet. Anyhoo, ISU will have a couple of reallllly solid Midwest guys as options. Devries and Craig Smith should both get a look. I think Smith would crush it there. 

4 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Delusional, bordering on a Derangement syndrome.  :nod:

Agreed. I absolutely have seen no real pressure from Moos or the media or the fans. Maybe some grumbling. The fact this dude thinks Moos and the Media are pushing Fred out is the one dumbest things I’ve read read on the internet. Anyhoo, ISU will have a couple of reallllly solid Midwest guys as options. Devries and Craig Smith should both get a look. I think Smith would crush it there. 

The problem these days is "don't believe everything you read on the internet" has went out the window.  There is always SOMEONE out there saying something and when someone sees it, they take it and run with it.  Hell, I read an article the other day about how the world is flat.  I found out that literally, my whole life, i had been lied to.  Such a crazy time we're in.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The problem these days is "don't believe everything you read on the internet" has went out the window.  There is always SOMEONE out there saying something and when someone sees it, they take it and run with it.  Hell, I read an article the other day about how the world is flat.  I found out that literally, my whole life, i had been lied to.  Such a crazy time we're in.

You mean the earth isn't flat. who would have guessed.

The reality is, Pitino is dealt with a very rough hand at the end of the season at the wrong time. Injuries are killing him and his bench is very much to be desired.

If I was a Minnesota fan, I'd probably be in the same boat that I was with the conversation on Miles. Do you truly believe you'll pick someone up better than Pitino? If so, go for it. If not, is jumping back in the coaching carousel going to do much good for you? I don't envy that decision. Sure, the fans are upset. But they went from NCAA talk to a bad February stretch. Is that really worth canning a coach? Especially when there's some future promise in the future with some of his guys?

19 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The reality is, Pitino is dealt with a very rough hand at the end of the season at the wrong time. Injuries are killing him and his bench is very much to be desired.

If I was a Minnesota fan, I'd probably be in the same boat that I was with the conversation on Miles. Do you truly believe you'll pick someone up better than Pitino? If so, go for it. If not, is jumping back in the coaching carousel going to do much good for you? I don't envy that decision. Sure, the fans are upset. But they went from NCAA talk to a bad February stretch. Is that really worth canning a coach? Especially when there's some future promise in the future with some of his guys?

Seems like there fans are upset with consistently missing out on the talent in their state. Then there’s the whole 50 games under .500 in the BIG since he got there issue. 

10 minutes ago, 49r said:
33 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Do you truly believe you'll pick someone up better than Pitino?

I think they can easily do better.

I just don't fully know the details on buyouts + COVID budget impacts. And that's a hard thing to overcome if it's an issue.

Curious on who would be better. Can't say I've been keeping up with the carousel lately. Although it's sounding like Pikiell would be a good pickup :lol:

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I just don't fully know the details on buyouts + COVID budget impacts. And that's a hard thing to overcome if it's an issue.

Curious on who would be better. Can't say I've been keeping up with the carousel lately. Although it's sounding like Pikiell would be a good pickup :lol:

Not that I think he's by any means an ideal candidate or anything, but frickin' Tim Miles would be better than Pitino.  But how about Niko Medved?  Or Craig Smith?

Or if you want to get off the Tim Miles coaching tree maybe Darian DeVries?  Or Porter Mosier (although not sure how interested he is in going high-major)

But mostly it's like @hhcmatt said, pretty much anyone who can lock down at least some of the local talent would probably do better.  It's appalling how much local talent they let get away.

Now, having said all that, I want to make it clear that I am fully in support of UofM extending Pitino's contract.

16 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems like an issue with Pitino is the river of top 100 kids just flowing out of Minnesota. 

i think historically Minnesota keeps zero percent of the premium talent in Minneapolis, which there is a ton of.  Check that....I am pretty sure Royce White was from Minnesota and went to play for the Gophers.  And then immediately transferred to play for Fred and became a superstar.

totally off topic...but I just visited the Cyclone Fanatic page....thank you for keeping this to Husker Hoops for the most part.  I just saw they have a 64 page discussion about the DC Movie Universe....they must really not have a lot to talk about....it's a sister post to a discussion about the Marvel Movie Universe.  

Again..thank you for keeping this husker connected...I mean non basketball topics do come up but not 64 pages...and they all either have a connection to directly or in a roundabout way to husker hoops. 

10 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

totally off topic...but I just visited the Cyclone Fanatic page....thank you for keeping this to Husker Hoops for the most part.  I just saw they have a 64 page discussion about the DC Movie Universe....they must really not have a lot to talk about....it's a sister post to a discussion about the Marvel Movie Universe.  

Again..thank you for keeping this husker connected...I mean non basketball topics do come up but not 64 pages...and they all either have a connection to directly or in a roundabout way to husker hoops. 

So, who do you think Iowa State should hire after they ultimately can Prohm?  😀

3 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Its not just a hoops board so.....but if you want to see some real awful threads check out the politics threads.