Coaching Carousel 2021

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Texas has been trying to do this for a few years no. Beard's buyout dropped down to around $4M on April 1. I'm very certain this announcement today was very much timed to that buyout deadline.

Hate to see Beard leave Tech for Texas.  He will likely make more than Sarkisian is making for football.

58 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Texas has been trying to do this for a few years no. Beard's buyout dropped down to around $4M on April 1. I'm very certain this announcement today was very much timed to that buyout deadline.

Yup, the buyout was $5mil yesterday.  It was specifically written bigger for the conference.  I think it would have only been $2mil today for North Carolina to buy him out.

Beard graduated from Texas and started there as a Graduate Assistant out of college.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:
4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Yup, the buyout was $5mil yesterday.  It was specifically written bigger for the conference.  I think it would have only been $2mil today for North Carolina to buy him out.

Beard graduated from Texas and started there as a Graduate Assistant out of college.

Fun fact of the day. As far as I can tell, the only modern day P6 coaches who have left one school for another within the conference in consecutive seasons are:

• Chris Beard (2021): Texas Tech to Texas (Big 12)
  • Tubby Smith (1997): Georgia to Kentucky (SEC)
  • Eddie Fogler (1993): Vanderbilt to South Carolina (SEC)

Bruce Pearl had a break between Tennessee and Auburn; Ernie Kent had a break between Oregon and Washington State.

Assistant coaches have made some intra-conference moves:

• Micah Shrewberry (2021): Purdue asst. to Penn State HC
  • Jeff Capal (2018): Duke asst. to Pittsburgh HC
  • Jay John (2002): Arizona asst. to Oregon State

Russ Pennell (Arizona State asst. to Arizona interim HC) had a break between; Jim Saia (UCLA asst. to USC HC) had a break between as well.

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:
9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Expand  

Worth adding this point to the conversation. Again, can't recall the exact number right off, but Beard's buyout just a couple seasons ago was around $18M just about 2 seasons ago. Timing is everything for Texas here.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Hard to feel too sorry for Texas Tech, a school that hired Beard a month after he took the job at UNLV

The fact that he jumped ship so quickly at UNLV should have been a big heads up that he would do it again if given the chance and he did. So yeah, I don't feel sorry for Texas Tech's AD.

4 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

The fact that he jumped ship so quickly at UNLV should have been a big heads up that he would do it again if given the chance and he did. So yeah, I don't feel sorry for Texas Tech's AD.

Yep.  Plus they got a Big 12 championship and national runner-up outta the deal.  Sounds pretty good to me.