uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 22 - @ Illinois

uneblinstu

Just another opportunity for these guys to understand each other and to understand what it takes to play in the Big Ten. Hopefully we'll have enough talent and experience next year to turn a few of these losses into victories, to take a few more games down to the wire, to not get thrown around like rag dolls in the paint, to make the big plays in a clutch moments, to not wilt when the going gets tough. I saw fight tonight, but that's about it.

Just keep sawin' wood.

I don't know if we can approximate Illinois' trajectory from here, as we're starting a bit lower than they were when Underwood started, but what Underwood has built there in 4 years is impressive, considering they were 4-14 in the league his first year.

He did a good job holding the key parts of the roster together and bringing in more and more talent. When you think about how important of a player #15 was for them 2 years ago, and now he's playing far less & is no longer a focus of the offense, yet he has stuck around and seems to be happy with his role, that's pretty impressive.

Ayo came in as a 5-star, didn't really live up to it his frosh year, but stuck with it & now he's an All-American in his 3rd year.

It'd be nice to come close to mimicking what they've done.

We've had countless turnovers the past two games just dribbling the ball.  That needs to stop.  No excuse for it on the D1 level.

The grabbing by Illinois on the defensive end was atrocious.  It really affected our game.  I don't remember seeing it much in the 1st match-up, but may have a lot to do with why we struggled tonight. 

Rebounding in the 2nd half was poor.  I think Illinois didn't worry about us running and started crashing the boards.  It's kind of double edged sword.  In order to run we need to send people down the court, but that leaves no one to rebound the ball.

Atleast we are starting to see some improvement on a game by game basis from allen, mcgowens, Stevenson, Walker, and Andre. It’s only spurts and there’s still WTF moments but you can atleast see something with those 5 in my opinion.

I don’t think it happens but I’d love to see Stevenson start over Lat. Stevenson gives us more on both ends of the court and w no one consistently setting Lat up he’s basically a zero for us right now on both ends. If we coulda got Lat back in 2017 outta high school I think he really could been a weapon in miles system w Watson setting him up but on this team he’s just an odd piece. 

Cockburn probably isn’t gonna be an in demand NBA player so we likely get to face him For atleast 2 more years, isn’t that fun. 

1st, you will never convince me that 10th year senior Trent Frazier shouldn't have had 2 technicals. How one of those was a bench T is indefensible. However, with Michelle's dork nephew reffing, nothing is surprising at this point.

2nd, I can't believe how poorly we value the basketball and possessions in general. Our better players make some of the dumbest, head-scratching decisions / turnovers of any team I can think of. For having some talented players and a tremendous head coach, this is mind-boggling and very concerning. 

Lastly, I hope Shamiel continues to show improvement. Physically and athletically, there's no reason he shouldn't be one of our better players and potential starter. His decision-making is borderline atrocious often, but he can just plain and simply do things that some of our other rotation players cannot. Let's hope his improved play continues.

Illinois played physical tonight, and the officials allowed it.  We have to respond to that.  Michigan St mugged Illinois the other day and is trying to mug Ohio St tonight.  It’s the B1G. We signed up for this so we have to learn how to play tough.

I am not optimistic about beating Minnesota or Northwestern because they have consistent shooters which we lack. Gabe K. Is out for the Gophers so that might help.

Lat tied for most minutes tonight, and he took 3 shots, and was 0-1 from 3.  It's not like we aren't running actions for him, I see us trying to set him up, but teams know he's a shooter so they play tight coverage on him in part because they know he's not much of a threat to drive.  

Some shooters need only a tiny window to get a shot off, but not Lat I'm afraid.  For his shot to have a chance he needs space to set up, step into it and release.  Whenever he tries a quick pull of the trigger it misses badly.  

I love Lat and will always root for him, but I'm just not seeing him as Big Ten level talent.    :( 

11 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Since Collins took over, it really hasn't been so. NW has won 6 of the last 8 in the series. Be warned. 

I saw that they came back to beat Minny.  That has to be more on Minny though and I think Minny was down a few starters.  Either way, I feel we should be NW.  Especially with how we have, I thought, improved.

27 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I saw that they came back to beat Minny.  That has to be more on Minny though and I think Minny was down a few starters.  Either way, I feel we should be NW.  Especially with how we have, I thought, improved.

Minnesota's ripe. Can't throw it in the ocean half the time and Robbins may be hurt. That's a team Nebraska's defense is geared to frustrate. 

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Do you know how long their two guys are out?  I saw one was in a boot last night.

Kalscheur is out. Robbins, dunno. Minnesota wasn't in a position to rest the guy Thursday, so he truly couldn't go. Not sure, after the plane ride to Lincoln, etc, that it's going to be magically better.