Nebraska (5-16)(1-13) vs. Illinois (16-6)(12-4) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

You see how ready-made Cockburn was for the Big Ten, and now watching Hunter Dickinson, and I yearn for someone who can just come in as a freshman and be physically ready and skilled enough to compete against these guys. We have Eduardo Andre, and he has great upside, but it's a project. For Nebrasketball, it's always a project.

You know the officiating is bad when there's a whistle on a drive 20 feet from the hoop and at least 2 guys on each team look over with their hands up - "I didn't do it." Nobody on the floor knows what's a foul tonight.

Have to say watching Illinois get miffed about how physical the game is always makes me laugh. No one grabs, pushes & bumps on defense in the league more than Illinois ... and they've even toned it down quite a bit from a few years ago.  But when you can get away with it, you might as well do it.

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

You know the officiating is bad when there's a whistle on a drive 20 feet from the hoop and at least 2 guys on each team look over with their hands up - "I didn't do it." Nobody on the floor knows what's a foul tonight.

Have to say watching Illinois get miffed about how physical the game is always makes me laugh. No one grabs, pushes & bumps on defense in the league more than Illinois ... and they've even toned it down quite a bit from a few years ago.  But when you can get away with it, you might as well do it.

Lakes actually was grabbed by # 4 while cutting. 

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

You see how ready-made Cockburn was for the Big Ten, and now watching Hunter Dickinson, and I yearn for someone who can just come in as a freshman and be physically ready and skilled enough to compete against these guys. We have Eduardo Andre, and he has great upside, but it's a project. For Nebrasketball, it's always a project.

Andre compares favorably with Mikki Moore, in fact he's 25 lbs bigger than Mikki was as a freshman and has had a better freshman year.  (Mikki flashed some talent his freshman year in the Kansas game but rarely played.)  Keita, I would say, compares favorably to Derrick Chandler.  And they'll be in the same class.

But they're not the Royce White - Georges Niang type of players, so it's a bit of a surprise.

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Lat back on the struggle train. So much inconsistency.

To be fair, Illinois did a great job of taking Teddy & Lat completely out of the game ... especially Frazier. They had us scouted perfectly.

Now it is possible that even B1G football refs would've thrown a few holding flags on Illinois tonight for the action away from the ball, but again, if you can get away with it...

Good: We shot almost 70% from FT line. 

Bad: Outscored 16-2 in transition - our transition defense is killing us. With as good as we are in 1/2 court defense, we have to find a way to fix the transition defense. It's not like we're poor in transition defense because we're crashing the offensive glass either.

Need to cut down on the live ball turnovers & figure out how to stop the ball much, much better.

We gave up 28 pts combined in transition and in 2nd chances tonight, and it's the same number we gave up to Penn St Tuesday - that's a crazy high number. Our 1/2 court defense vs the first shot is good enough to give us a chance to win most nights, even as much as we struggle on offense. 

Again, Illinois had us scouted well here - they pushed the ball regularly, even when it wasn't really there, knowing how bad we have been lately in transition defense, and it worked.

Edited by throwback

Bardo is a dog shit announcer. In sure he played a lot of post defense in his time as PG at Illinois but I’d love to hear how he would suggest defending cockburn when your giving up 70 pounds and he’s allowed to lead w his elbow every time he catches it in the post. 

Is there a worst call in all of sports than the double tech? It’s just a weak bail out call refs use when they don’t see what happened. 

https://twi

tter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1365126776029130752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1365126776029130752%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_ur

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/statuhttps://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1365127837246779396?s=20s/1365127837246779396?s=20https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1365127837246779396?s=20