Why the hate

Bugeaters1

6 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Why is Teddy getting so much hate for putting 41 up last night? Social media is killing him. Just wonder what it would have been like when Pike put 42 on Oklahoma in 94 had there been social media.

Really?  I have seen a few tweets, but the majority of it has been positive on my feed.  That was one of the most efficient 41 point games that I can think of.

A. Primary answer's been given. There are an extraordinary number of dicks on the Internet. 

B. Teddy got labelled early, and I think that label stuck when he got benched as "another me-baller". So of course when some see a hot hand, others are going to see a ball-hogging show-boater. 

The irony of all this is that both can be true at the same time. You can be a ball hog and have a great game. You can also be a team player and have a great game. 

We've given Teddy plenty of grief for his on court attitude this season at quite a few points. But most of us notice a clear effort at improving, so I'm willing to let it go. But a lot of people will never let it go. All they know is hate. And I guarantee you they do this crap on every subject, every post, everywhere. They're just bad people. 

16 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Why is Teddy getting so much hate for putting 41 up last night? Social media is killing him. Just wonder what it would have been like when Pike put 42 on Oklahoma in 94 had there been social media.

It's like 1? 2? people.  Jack is a passionate over-exaggerator of the scope of things.

Define hate....? I don't "hate," Teddy Allen. I am incredibly proud of the person he seems to have become after all the trials and tribulations of his youth and early career. He's also been the one fun thing to watch about this Husker squad this year. 

However - I do not believe that a team with Teddy Allen on it, taking most of your shots, and being your "guy," can ever be good. That's not hate. That's my opinion based off of experience and observation. He's streaky, inconsistent, and plays out of the flow of the offense. If he is not making shots, you're donezo because he's gonna keep shooting. And if he is, most of them just come at random times from random places, and no one else gets in the flow (see, Penn State from two nights ago). 

32 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

However - I do not believe that a team with Teddy Allen on it, taking most of your shots, and being your "guy," can ever be good. That's not hate. That's my opinion based off of experience and observation. He's streaky, inconsistent, and plays out of the flow of the offense. If he is not making shots, you're donezo because he's gonna keep shooting. And if he is, most of them just come at random times from random places, and no one else gets in the flow (see, Penn State from two nights ago). 

If Teddy's distribution game is going to continue to evolve, adjust the offense to flow through Teddy. Everyone else figure out where they're supposed to be and when the defense sends multiple guys Teddy Dimes will find them. Illinois doesn't help much but let the man operate vs Minnesota.

29 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

...and no one else gets in the flow (see, Penn State from two nights ago). 

This is definitely true about many games this season. However, Penn St from two nights ago wasn't one of them. I watched others try to get involved that game and prompty turn the ball over which lead to quick buckets on the other end. Especially in the 1st half. Teddy passed the ball around well and tried to get his teamates involved the entire game. 

48 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I would have actually been 100% on board with your opinion until the last handful of games since Teddy returned from suspension.  He's been incredibly efficient and shooting above 50% from the field.  He really hasn't been forcing a ton of shots and the ones he have, you live with if you get him consistently shooting north of 50%.  His passing in the 2nd half of Penn. St. was phenomenal.  If this is the new Teddy and the one we get for the rest of this year and next, sign me up as I don't think this version of Teddy Allen limits the ceiling of this team one bit.

My biggest thing with Teddy the last game isn't that he scored all of those points.  It's that he scored all of those points AND realized when he needed to pass the ball off.  You know how many easy buckets we got because Teddy DIDN'T try to force the shot and instead passed it off for an easy bucket?  Like I said-- I've seen a lot of 40 point games (not just at Nebraska) and that was one of the most efficient performances I've ever seen.

57 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

This is definitely true about many games this season. However, Penn St from two nights ago wasn't one of them. I watched others try to get involved that game and prompty turn the ball over which lead to quick buckets on the other end. Especially in the 1st half. Teddy passed the ball around well and tried to get his teamates involved the entire game. 

We had 38 points in the first half, 28 of his. 

When he scored 13 in the second half, the rest of the team scored 32.