uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 21 - vs. Penn St.

uneblinstu

Just now, Fastbreaker said:

Being that all of Fort's shot were from beyond the arc, I would guess 55 or so.  How many career points would he have had, if he had the arc and played varsity his freshman year?

I modeled my jump shot after Jerry's behind-the-head form (with a little Keith Wilkes thrown in). Unfortunately, it came off more like Elmer Fudd.

33 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I remember thinking harrar would turn into a pretty good big man a few years ago when I watched penn st and sure enough he has. Wonder if we could see similar growth for Ivan if he stays.

similar sentiment on Blanton vs Webster minutes but I just watch the game from my couch

Seriously, with the names?  At this point of the season, multiple references on this thread alone to "Blanton", and now "Ivan ".   Your way of trolling?

4 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Asked elsewhere, are we the worst offensive rebounding team in the country?

And we're No. 188 in offensive boards per game at 9.7.

On edit:

Teams with fewer offensive rebounds per game include:

• Maryland
  • Northwestern
  • Creighton
  • Wisconsin
  • Indiana
  • Michigan

Most of those teams shoot pretty well.

Edited by jayschool

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

Dang much better than I would have figured, we just seem to be one and one every dang trip.

Yvan is the clear leader in offensive boards with 40 total in limited minutes, so with Yvan riding pine these last 10 games or so, we don't have a lot of offensive rebounding power on the court. Teddy has 26 and Banton has 23.

On edit: Andre is getting an offensive board every 26 minutes — 4 in 103 minutes played.

Edited by jayschool

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

Yvan is the clear leader in offensive boards with 40 total in limited minutes, so with Yvan riding pine these last 10 games or so, we don't have a lot of offensive rebounding power on the court. Teddy has 26 and Banton has 23.

For example, Yvan gets an offensive board once for every eight minutes on the court. Derrick Walker has 12 in 193 minutes, or one offensive rebound every 16 minutes on the court. In other words, Derrick may be more effective offensively overall, but his ability to grab offensive rebounds is about half as good as Yvan's.

Teddy gets an offensive board once every 22 minutes, while Banton gets one every 26 minutes, Shamiel every 25 minutes, and Lat every 31 minutes.

23 minutes ago, HB said:

Seriously, with the names?  At this point of the season, multiple references on this thread alone to "Blanton", and now "Ivan ".   Your way of trolling?

Yeah this stuff drives me nuts.  When people are clearly mis-spelling our players' names wrong on purpose.

38 minutes ago, 49r said:
1 hour ago, HB said:

Yeah this stuff drives me nuts.  When people are clearly mis-spelling our players' names wrong on purpose.

...it probably doesn't help that we have a coach who mispronounces his players as well. Looking at you, Sack.

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Asked elsewhere, are we the worst offensive rebounding team in the country?

Philosophically I think we value getting back and set on defense vs trying to crash the boards. Given our roster makeup this seems like the right course of action, no?  To me the problem with Penn St out rebounding us on the offensive boards is their 16, not our 2. Harrar was getting rebounds last night that he had no business getting.

1 hour ago, HB said:

Auto-correct sorry my dads name is Ivan and I’m not sure why it goes to Blanton. I will make sure if I have any more post that I look through them more closely before posting 

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Philosophically I think we value getting back and set on defense vs trying to crash the boards. Given our roster makeup this seems like the right course of action, no?  To me the problem with Penn St out rebounding us on the offensive boards is their 16, not our 2. Harrar was getting rebounds last night that he had no business getting.

Understand getting back on defense 100%, but other teams seem to see the value in second chances and send at least a few to the boards on the offensive end.

5 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Understand getting back on defense 100%, but other teams seem to see the value in second chances and send at least a few to the boards on the offensive end.

I don't disagree with you as it's a bit of the cornerstone of what Penn State does in order to add enough possessions in order to offset their lack of shooting.  We can send more bodies at the boards but given how poorly we rebound on the defensive end I think that any benefit we'd add from extra possessions would be offset in the amount of transition baskets we give up. A caveat on that might be teams determined to play slowly....so when we playing Maryland and they were walking the ball up the court on most possessions I think we could have crashed the boards more than normal. 

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

Dang much better than I would have figured, we just seem to be one and one every dang trip.

we shoot poorly enough to always avoid the real bottom on a stat like this. Teams that get a lot of these by definition miss a lot of shots. I'm kind of a "get it right the first time" guy myself. 

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

I modeled my jump shot after Jerry's behind-the-head form (with a little Keith Wilkes thrown in). Unfortunately, it came off more like Elmer Fudd.

Keith won the ‘75 NBA Finals with the Golden St. Warriors, something Husker greats Hoppen, Farmer & Moore we’re unable to accomplish...

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Keith won the ‘75 NBA Finals with the Golden St. Warriors, something Husker greats Hoppen, Farmer & Moore we’re unable to accomplish...

Thought you were old enough to have a set shot😁😁.  We had a kid at Hstings High in 76, 77 that had a set shot. coach always gave him grief, but he was deadly with it.

7 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Being that all of Fort's shot were from beyond the arc, I would guess 55 or so.  How many career points would he have had, if he had the arc and played varsity his freshman year?

Hate to correct you, but: he did play his freshman year.

And how is it that, from his recruiting class, he wasn't the one that played in the NBA?

image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Marsh