uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 21 - vs. Penn St.

uneblinstu

That was just a fun basketball game!

Teddy got all the buckets! 

Andre continues to show flashes of his potential.

Trey hit some big shots, but finally got caught with his hand in the cookie jar on that attempt at drawing that foul.

Walker does so many little things.

Thor hit some big shots coming back from that 10 point deficit.

Webster's giving some big minutes, too.

but...

Nebraskebtall happened. 

Penn St. played harder and smarter at some key stretches. 

NU had some sloppy, lazy turnovers at back breaking moments. 

Giving fouls at the wrong time.

and then...

They kept battling.

I liked that they didn't try to force a 3 at the end

but couldn't quite get the final shot to fall...

Man, that would have been fun to win. 

Shame to waste that effort from Teddy.

Man-- what a wasted game for Teddy.  That stinks for the boys.  Another missed opportunity.  

We are starting to play and compete better.  Happy about that.

Trey man-- I hope he cuts the "step into someone" out after today.  Outside of that-- he had a pretty good overall game.  His turnovers late were "ugh" but his shooting was good tonight!

Thor- really important night for him and his role.  

Teddy- with one of the more efficient high scoring games that I think I've seen.  Good for him!

Banton- Think we can start planning on him being around next year.  He's got quite a bit of game to work on for the next level.  But he can get there.

I thought we'd see more games like tonight this year.  This is what I wanted us to be.  Competitive.  Even if it didn't always result in a W.  We are finally starting to get there.

Hoiberg isn't afraid to feed the hot hand and isn't afraid to play the guys playing well.  Banton is in a funk so until he figures it out, he's going to see his minutes decrease.  That probably hurt us on the boards tonight because he's the guy on the team who seems to pull down the tougher rebounds.

I guess my only knock on Hoiberg so far has been the playing hard then. It doesnt happen all the time but I remember that injury depleted NIT team playing its heart out. I remember some of those doc teams where it seemed like most of the time we played the other team was more talented but we would steal games off grit alone. 

I think that changes next year when weve had some guys who've played together for more than a few months. 

This is some company for Teddy

UNL Postgame Notes
*-Teddy Allen finished with a career-high 41 points, the second-highest single-game total in school history and just the fifth 40-point game ever at Nebraska. His 41 points ties the school record for most points in a home game (41 by Aleks Maric) and breaks the PBA record (35 by three players). The top five single-game totals are below.

No.     Name, Opponent Date                                         Points
1.        Eric Piatkowski vs. Oklahoma (3/11/94)               42

2.        Aleks Maric Kansas State (2/13/07)                      41
           Teddy Allen, Penn State (2/23/21)                        41             

3.        Rich King Northern Illinois (2/18/91)                    40
           Jerry Fort Missouri (2/22/75)                                40

*-Allen finished with 41 points, eight rebounds and six assists, setting career highs in points (41), field goals (16), 3-pointers (six) and assists (six). He is just the fourth power conference player in the last decade to have at least 40 points, eight rebounds and six assists in a game per CBB Reference.

Power Conference Players Since 2011 with 40+ points, 8+ rebounds and 6+ assists in a game (per CBB Reference)

Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (at Kansas, 1/4/2016)
Ben Simmons, LSU (vs. North Florida, 12/2/2015
Trae Young, Oklahoma (vs. TCU, 1/13/2018)
Teddy Allen, Nebraska (vs. Penn State, 2/23/2021)

*-Allen also tied school marks for field goals in a game, matching the school mark by Marvin Stewart against Nevada on Dec. 14, 1970. Both players went 16-of-24 from the field.
*-Allen’s 41 points was the second 40-point game in the Big Ten this season (Luka Garza, Iowa vs. Southern, 11/27/20)
*-Allen’s 41 points and 16 field goals were the most ever allowed by Penn State to a conference opponent
*-Allen’s 28 first-half points is the most by a Husker in a half in school history. The previous record was 27 by James Palmer Jr. against Rutgers at the 2019 Big Ten Tournament
*-It marked Allen’s eighth 20-point game of the season and 11th of his career. His previous career high was 26 against Creighton on Dec. 11.

Banton had three big turnovers that led to easy transition baskets in the first half. He drives and gets it stolen pretty easily. He even got it stolen while he was just holding the ball over his head looking to make a pass. Not sure I’ve seen that very often in all my years of watching basketball. 
I want Banton to be the NBA prospect Banton. Right now, he’s in a major funk. It’s like the 1-7 FT game case Illinois is still haunting him and hurting his confidence. 
Hoiberg did address the lack of his playing time by saying he’s going to put the guys on the floor that he feels gives them the best opportunity to win. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

UNL Postgame Notes
*-Teddy Allen finished with a career-high 41 points, the second-highest single-game total in school history and just the fifth 40-point game ever at Nebraska. His 41 points ties the school record for most points in a home game (41 by Aleks Maric) and breaks the PBA record (35 by three players). The top five single-game totals are below.

*-Allen finished with 41 points, eight rebounds and six assists, setting career highs in points (41), field goals (16), 3-pointers (six) and assists (six). He is just the fourth power conference player in the last decade to have at least 40 points, eight rebounds and six assists in a game per CBB Reference.

Power Conference Players Since 2011 with 40+ points, 8+ rebounds and 6+ assists in a game (per CBB Reference)

Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (at Kansas, 1/4/2016)
Ben Simmons, LSU (vs. North Florida, 12/2/2015
Trae Young, Oklahoma (vs. TCU, 1/13/2018)
Teddy Allen, Nebraska (vs. Penn State, 2/23/2021)

*-Allen also tied school marks for field goals in a game, matching the school mark by Marvin Stewart against Nevada on Dec. 14, 1970. Both players went 16-of-24 from the field.
*-Allen’s 41 points was the second 40-point game in the Big Ten this season (Luka Garza, Iowa vs. Southern, 11/27/20)
*-Allen’s 41 points and 16 field goals were the most ever allowed by Penn State to a conference opponent
*-Allen’s 28 first-half points is the most by a Husker in a half in school history. The previous record was 27 by James Palmer Jr. against Rutgers at the 2019 Big Ten Tournament
*-It marked Allen’s eighth 20-point game of the season and 11th of his career. His previous career high was 26 against Creighton on Dec. 11.

I remember seeing Anthony Peeler drop 44 on us in a Mizzou win, & Harold Miner scoring 42 I believe in a 15 point USC loss...

If nothing else, that was an entertaining game to watch and a glimpse of what the Hoiberg offense is supposed to look like when shots are going in.  I did unfortunately lie to my kid last night.  When Teddy had 20 points ten minutes into the game, he pronounced that Teddy was going to go for 40.  I told him that if he did that, there's no way Nebraska loses.  He reminded me of that fact after that game and I told him I could have swore I said 45 points.  Ok, I lied to him twice 😀

That was a JUCO Teddy game.  Nice to see it can happen in D1.  

PSU had a very good game plan offensively.  They fed their underrated big (who was destroying us all night with his strength) and actually making their threes.  Most possessions felt like we were picking our poison.  

Gotta figure out what to do with Banton but I really don’t like Kobe taking his minutes.  

Great game by Teddy, he has really turned it on over the past couple weeks and even more importantly seems more engaged with the team. He needs some help though, he would be even better if he didn’t have to do it all on the offensive end. 

That was Banton’s worst game of his Husker career and it came at a bad time. Even an average game out of him and we win. 

33 minutes ago, LK1 said:

That was a JUCO Teddy game.  Nice to see it can happen in D1.  

PSU had a very good game plan offensively.  They fed their underrated big (who was destroying us all night with his strength) and actually making their threes.  Most possessions felt like we were picking our poison.  

Gotta figure out what to do with Banton but I really don’t like Kobe taking his minutes.  

I remember thinking harrar would turn into a pretty good big man a few years ago when I watched penn st and sure enough he has. Wonder if we could see similar growth for Ivan if he stays.

similar sentiment on Blanton vs Webster minutes but I just watch the game from my couch

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

UNL Postgame Notes

How many does Jerry score if there were a 3-point line in 1975?