Man, where do you start?

Huskerpapa

9 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I would say that the B1G, collectively throughout major male sport, has basically thrown our idea of being "zig when everyone zags," out the window. 

This is absolutely something the football program is working through. (Purdue is too.) The defensive coaching, talent and toughness is probably too high, at this point, to play UCF/WKU football in the Big Ten unless you have Ohio State talent. Michigan made a move toward a spread, tempo offense in 2019 and got worse. Maryland sort of runs it, and is very hit and miss with it.

I think the Hoiberg tempo/3s approach is working in the Big Ten at Iowa. Creighton and Alabama would be top 5 teams in the Big Ten, I think. Of Creighton's starting 5, one guy - Ballock - was a top 100 player. Nebraska starts 2 Top 100 guys. The difference is time playing together and shotmaking. The first may well inform the latter, eventually. 

11 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Regression?!!

We had a month-long no-practice hiatus in the middle of the season.

Walker didn't get to play in the first half of the season, then played one game before getting Covid.

A few other players also got Covid.

Now, I know that every one of us geniuses on this board would unaffected in the slightest by a Covid infection.

But for a young fella like Walker and other players in that same Covid boat . . . it shouldn't affect their performance or stamina in the slightest, especially when they are playing an actual game like only every other day.

They played well for three-fourths of the game against Purdue--were even ahead around that mark.

I don't care what anyone's glass is like, an intolerance for difficulties in such circumstances is . . . kinda weird.  

In life you either move forward or backward.  Regress or progress.  Yes we have had issues; a lot of them.  But, so too has most every other program in the country.  Our program has not progressed since last year.  Has it?  Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself or something.

It hasn't been great, but it could always be worse. It's been a bit of a hot mess, and that's no joke. I'm just thankful that NU could come back after a 27-day break mid-season. I hope they can knock off a few more teams yet in 2020-21. The past two seasons under Freddy have left much to be desired. Lately I have noticed glimpses of the "Hoiberg Hoops" I had originally hoped for when he was hired nearly 2 years ago. I have a lot of faith in the long-term prognosis for Fred & Co. Let's see the product next season with the full PBA experience once again.

Keep the faith, Husker football is a much bigger funk than Nebrasketball. More is expected of NU on the gridiron than on the court. Frankly I wish both 'back' like in the 90s, it was great fun back then. But, alas, "now" is far cry from those days in Lincoln. Maybe one day these top 2 Husker men's programs can get going on a positive trajectory with Frost & Hoiberg. Whether that happens or not, I'll still be a fan.

14 hours ago, swmckewon said:

This is absolutely something the football program is working through. (Purdue is too.) The defensive coaching, talent and toughness is probably too high, at this point, to play UCF/WKU football in the Big Ten unless you have Ohio State talent. Michigan made a move toward a spread, tempo offense in 2019 and got worse. Maryland sort of runs it, and is very hit and miss with it.

I think the Hoiberg tempo/3s approach is working in the Big Ten at Iowa. Creighton and Alabama would be top 5 teams in the Big Ten, I think. Of Creighton's starting 5, one guy - Ballock - was a top 100 player. Nebraska starts 2 Top 100 guys. The difference is time playing together and shotmaking. The first may well inform the latter, eventually. 

Agree in football for sure.  In basketball, Beilein's 5-out was dominating the B1G before he left for the league.  Iowa does it as well, though they typically don't recruit great defenders and sort of live with that identity.  Their defense is atrocious this year but their offense is remarkable.  Shotmaking is a huge deal, but our defense has more potential than most teams with Doc at the helm.  

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

Agree in football for sure.  In basketball, Beilein's 5-out was dominating the B1G before he left for the league.  Iowa does it as well, though they typically don't recruit great defenders and sort of live with that identity.  Their defense is atrocious this year but their offense is remarkable.  Shotmaking is a huge deal, but our defense has more potential than most teams with Doc at the helm.  

Have to disagree on potential with Doc running the defense.  He loves to double team all the time and it's easy to see if coming.  Good teams and players just expose that and get wide open looks.  Our guys are chasing all the time to get back and defend the 3 point line.  Good shooting teams will light us up every night with Doc's defense.

I can remember when Nee won 10 games in 89/90 & we thought the sky was falling. I also don’t see this roster making a 13 to 4 jump in the Conference like a couple of Miles’s teams did. I’ve only got so many “wait til next year”s left in me, things need to get FUN around here again in a hurry...

5 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Have to disagree on potential with Doc running the defense.  He loves to double team all the time and it's easy to see if coming.  Good teams and players just expose that and get wide open looks.  Our guys are chasing all the time to get back and defend the 3 point line.  Good shooting teams will light us up every night with Doc's defense.

Depends who is guarding the post and who the opposing bigs are.  It’s pretty tough not to double the post with dominant bigs in the B1G.  I don’t think Doc does it just to do it.  We just never seem to have a 5 who can handle one on one post defense.   

21 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

It hasn't been great, but it could always be worse. It's been a bit of a hot mess, and that's no joke. I'm just thankful that NU could come back after a 27-day break mid-season. I hope they can knock off a few more teams yet in 2020-21. The past two seasons under Freddy have left much to be desired. Lately I have noticed glimpses of the "Hoiberg Hoops" I had originally hoped for when he was hired nearly 2 years ago. I have a lot of faith in the long-term prognosis for Fred & Co. Let's see the product next season with the full PBA experience once again.

Keep the faith, Husker football is a much bigger funk than Nebrasketball. More is expected of NU on the gridiron than on the court. Frankly I wish both 'back' like in the 90s, it was great fun back then. But, alas, "now" is far cry from those days in Lincoln. Maybe one day these top 2 Husker men's programs can get going on a positive trajectory with Frost & Hoiberg. Whether that happens or not, I'll still be a fan.

Can it get worse?  Less then 15 wins in 2 years.  Doc and Barry accomplished more.  Im starting to worry.  You cant keep overhauling the roster but this team lacks shooters.  If you are gonna continue to play the way Fred wants you better get talent or adapt to the conference.  I get Covid and how good the conference is but like fb, its the stupid things that are frustrating. 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:03 PM, swmckewon said:

Make sure you quote and reference me in your next article. Thanks. Send payment to......... jk jk

On 2/22/2021 at 8:03 PM, swmckewon said:

Iowa works because it revolves around a generational talent, behemoth. 

One could argue a little bit of "chicken and the egg" with Creighton. Creighton, now, could definitely be in our top 5 for sure. But do they develop this way if they have to go through the same process we do (i.e., trying to play this style before you're good)? 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Make sure you quote and reference me in your next article. Thanks. Send payment to......... jk jk

Iowa works because it revolves around a generational talent, behemoth. 

One could argue a little bit of "chicken and the egg" with Creighton. Creighton, now, could definitely be in our top 5 for sure. But do they develop this way if they have to go through the same process we do (i.e., trying to play this style before you're good)? 

Iowa was going to NCAA Tournaments under Fran before Garza was around.

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Iowa was going to NCAA Tournaments under Fran before Garza was around.

Sort of splitting hairs, but I don't feel going to the NCAA tournament is some marker of serious success. 

I wouldn't exactly say this is a shining recored also. Obviously, I'd take it in a heart beat, but it took until year 5 to be better than .500 in conference. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.59.12 AM.png

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Sort of splitting hairs, but I don't feel going to the NCAA tournament is some marker of serious success. 

I wouldn't exactly say this is a shining recored also. Obviously, I'd take it in a heart beat, but it took until year 5 to be better than .500 in conference. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.59.12 AM.png

Really? Postseason in 7 of 9 years?  4 NCAA Tournaments, wins in 3 of them and they were poised for a decent seed last year. He's made it work at a pretty high level for quite a long time now. Garza maybe takes it to another level, but they were winning pre-Garza, too.

30 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Really? Postseason in 7 of 9 years?  4 NCAA Tournaments, wins in 3 of them and they were poised for a decent seed last year. He's made it work at a pretty high level for quite a long time now. Garza maybe takes it to another level, but they were winning pre-Garza, too.

I said I'd take their record/recent history in a heartbeat.

Still took until year 5 to be above .500 in conference. 

Also....... going back to my original point.... They had behemoth Adam Woodbury their two best years of that run. 

Also 6'9" Aaron White and 6'9" Jarrod Uthoff. 

In other words, if you want to play the fast tempo way in the Big 10, you still need some skilled and tough bigs.

Edited by basketballjones

18 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I said I'd take their record/recent history in a heartbeat.

Still took until year 5 to be above .500 in conference. 

Also....... going back to my original point.... They had behemoth Adam Woodbury their two best years of that run. 

Also 6'9" Aaron White and 6'9" Jarrod Uthoff. 

In other words, if you want to play the fast tempo way in the Big 10, you still need some skilled and tough bigs.

Sure. Maybe that helps adjust our expectations for how long this thing should take to build. As for the bigs, I think Walker fits that bill. Andre will, too, I expect. Breidenbach is supposed to be that, too. And then that JUCO that just committed. We're getting there on that end.

13 hours ago, coughunter said:

Can it get worse?  Less then 15 wins in 2 years.  Doc and Barry accomplished more.  Im starting to worry.  You cant keep overhauling the roster but this team lacks shooters.  If you are gonna continue to play the way Fred wants you better get talent or adapt to the conference.  I get Covid and how good the conference is but like fb, its the stupid things that are frustrating. 

NU could be not playing at all... or losing by 30 in every game. Sure, it can always be worse. That was my most optimistic view of this season.

15 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Start getting Yvan to granny his FT shots.  He's 4-23 in conference play, personally lowering our average in these games from 65.0% to 60.6%. Actively rooting for him to not be fouled these days.

I... did not know this.  4-23???  4-23!?!?!?  How is that even possible?  That's 17%.  I'd expect our guys to have a similar percentage shooting half court shots.