PENN STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Congrats ladies!  Great to get consecutive wins.  Contributions by all.  Scoggin with career highs; Bourne indeed deserves player of the week honors; Haiby; Cain particularly with her D; Stewart had 10 big points in the 2nd.  I'm probably forgetting someone.  Defense on Cash much better.  GBR!  🌽 🏀

Edited by mwm89

One last observation....

Coley has it goin on. She has adjusted in just a few minutes/games of play. Already is up to the speed of the game. Clearly is not intimated at all.  She was barking at the ref when the ball went out of bounds near her....I had to laugh at her "pre" freshman toughness already. She was in High School a few weeks ago : ) amazing...

Hit a three and blocked a shot, no turnovers today in a few minutes of play.

The off season and fall ball will do even more to get her ready for next season.  No 40 rated is clearly evident and worthy of the rating.  I won't make any predictions about her about next year but have a guess. 

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

One last observation....

Coley has it goin on. She has adjusted in just a few minutes/games of play. Already is up to the speed of the game. Clearly is not intimated at all.  She was barking at the ref when the ball went out of bounds near her....I had to laugh at her "pre" freshman toughness already. She was in High School a few weeks ago : ) amazing...

Hit a three and blocked a shot, no turnovers today in a few minutes of play.

The off season and fall ball will do even more to get her ready for next season.  No 40 rated is clearly evident and worthy of the rating.  I won't make any predictions about her about next year but have a guess. 

She seems to be one of our better passers. She doesn't panic, and finds the open player. We might want to use her more when teams are applying full court pressure.  Handling the press is still a challenge for us.  We did handle it better than usual yesterday.  They must be working on it.  I also liked the inbound plays under our own bucket.  We didn't make them all, but the design was good.

For a brief time, late in the game, it looked like the players were instructed to run some clock. That didn't work. We're not good at it.  Penn State cut into the lead immediately.   Thank goodness, they went back to a normal pace and extended the lead.  Probably something they will work on.  

Satisfying game to watch, for sure.  Well done ladies.

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

She seems to be one of our better passers. She doesn't panic, and finds the open player. We might want to use her more when teams are applying full court pressure.  Handling the press is still a challenge for us.  We did handle it better than usual yesterday.  They must be working on it.  I also liked the inbound plays under our own bucket.  We didn't make them all, but the design was good.

For a brief time, late in the game, it looked like the players were instructed to run some clock. That didn't work. We're not good at it.  Penn State cut into the lead immediately.   Thank goodness, they went back to a normal pace and extended the lead.  Probably something they will work on.  

i'm hoping she fits in the rotation more!

35 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i'm hoping she fits in the rotation more!

And just where are those extra minutes coming from.  Won't be Sam, Kate or Issie. Scoggins is playing at a high level.  When Bella returns there goes Ruby's minutes.  We already wanted Ruby an Anni  to get as much time as possible for developement. Mi'cole is our defensive demon.  That leaves poor Whit Brown who everyone wanted to get more time just a couple of weeks ago.

imo, it will only help for the future. not even getting a mention for NCAA tourney. i'll leave it up to the coaches*, but, i'd keep building up her minutes. oh, i think she could develop into a very good defensive player.

*meant to add a smiley face in there* for whatever reasons, having trouble adding emojis they don't show up sometimes

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On 2/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, 12dozen said:

I went back to read some of the recruiting posts for Kendall Coley.

https://hailvarsity.com/womens-basketball/kendall-coleys-road-to-nebraska/

This stood out:

“I’m a pretty good facilitator,” she said. “Kind of in a point guard-ish way. I’m not really a point guard, but I can play the point. My whole life I’ve just grown up as a versatile player.”

“Kendall’s a pure shooter, I mean, she can shoot the ball with the best of ‘em, but she passes on taking shots to make sure everybody’s involved in the game,” Tylor added.

13 hours ago, redsteve said:

See her as a 2 or 3 that like it says can play about anywhere.  Haven't seen her with her back to the basket yet but.... We've only seen a taste of what she can do.

Maybe too quickly getting ahead of where she is but, Just get the ball to her...she'll light up the team.

Just hope she doesn't get injured and stays with the team. It could be a heck of a ride.

I had also forgotten about this:

Interesting to see one of her best friends is Kennedi Orr, who could very well be the top recruit coming out in 2021 to play volleyball at NE. Doesn't hurt to have one of your best friends going to the same school.
One article I said it was a big issue with Coley. They were friends for a long time (since pre-school), and agreed that it would be great if they both (Orr and Coley ) could be at the same school for college. Orr in volleyball, and Coley in basketball.

Edited by Red Don

See her as a 2 or 3 that like it says can play about anywhere.  Haven't seen her with her back to the basket yet but.... We've only seen a taste of what she can do.

Maybe too quickly getting ahead of where she is but, Just get the ball to her...she'll light up the team.

Just hope she doesn't get injured and stays with the team. It could be a heck of a ride.

does anyone have any insight regarding Trinity Brady? has she been practicing? i thought it was about a month 1/2 ago coach stated she was "day to day"---or maybe she said "close"?  wonder if she had a setback? it is so late in the season i really don't expect her to be back. would she qualify for a med r/s?

didn't she miss the last few games her freshman year because of tendonitis? 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

does anyone have any insight regarding Trinity Brady? has she been practicing? i thought it was about a month 1/2 ago coach stated she was "day to day"---or maybe she said "close"?  wonder if she had a setback? it is so late in the season i really don't expect her to be back. would she qualify for a med r/s?

didn't she miss the last few games her freshman year because of tendonitis? 

This excerpt is from a Hail Varsity article on January 12, 2021........ (haven't seen a mention since)

Trinity Brady, a sophomore guard who started NU’s first two games out on the wing (whose spot Bourne filled once she went down), has missed the last eight games with an ankle injury. She was previously in a boot but shed that in recent weeks. Williams didn’t put a timetable on anything, but intimated that she’s close. 

“She’s getting closer every day,” Williams said. “We’re hopeful that real shortly she’ll be able to return to the court.”

Brady hasn’t played since Dec. 6. In her 48 minutes to start the year, she scored 17 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, and got her hands on four steals. She’s a versatile defender Williams can deploy on the wing and lets Bourne play her more natural forward position.