uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 20 - vs. Purdue

uneblinstu

13 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Then throw in the 3 "pick 6's" we throw early. That's another 6 points. 

This is a really good point - lazy passes that lead to live ball turnovers have killed us quite frequently. When you think about how good our 1/2 court defense has been, giving up these turnover/dunks is a killer.

It feels like Fred is pulling guys after they make these lazy passes a little more frequently lately ... but I also may just be seeing what I want to see.

3 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

For our sakes I hope not. He’s not a bad player he’s just not a PG and not a big ten athlete IMO

He seems like a team player and a positive influence. If you can have a dude like that riding your pine without taking up a scholarship who can come in and score when you need that, seems like a no-lose proposition.

We're trying to crater towards the bottom of the FT% barrel again as our 3 centers are shooting 41% on the year. However even if you took away those numbers it would be a below average 66.8% instead of 62.4%.  Maybe Hoiberg needs to pull a George Costanza and do the opposite of what he's been doing with FTs.

4233dd784f4dfd5d62f4001526d10465.jpg

Post game notes from UNL

*-Nebraska got 37 points from its bench, its highest total in Big Ten play (previous high 26 at Minnesota) and its second-highest total against a Division I opponent this year (39 vs. McNeese State in the opener).
*-Thorir Thorbjararson finished with a season-high nine points including a season-best three 3-pointers. He had eight points four other times, most recently against Illinoi on Feb. 12. He also tied his career high with two blocked shots set two other times.
*- Shamiel Stevenson recorded his fourth double-figure scoring performance of the season with 10 points, his first double-figure effort since Feb. 8.
*-Nebraska hit nine 3-pointers against Purdue and have now hit 20 3-pointers in the last two games.
*-Nebraska had 14 assists and 11 turnovers, the third straight game with 11 or fewer turnovers.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Post game notes from UNL

*-Nebraska got 37 points from its bench, its highest total in Big Ten play (previous high 26 at Minnesota) and its second-highest total against a Division I opponent this year (39 vs. McNeese State in the opener).
*-Thorir Thorbjararson finished with a season-high nine points including a season-best three 3-pointers. He had eight points four other times, most recently against Illinoi on Feb. 12. He also tied his career high with two blocked shots set two other times.
*- Shamiel Stevenson recorded his fourth double-figure scoring performance of the season with 10 points, his first double-figure effort since Feb. 8.
*-Nebraska hit nine 3-pointers against Purdue and have now hit 20 3-pointers in the last two games.
*-Nebraska had 14 assists and 11 turnovers, the third straight game with 11 or fewer turnovers.

For all the bitching we (I) do about turnovers, that's not terrible.

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

For all the bitching we (I) do about turnovers, that's not terrible.

Well, two things happened.

We started playing a little less sloppy and we played 3 games in a row against a team not trying to turn us over (Maryland, Maryland, Purdue)  Compare that vs Wisconsin who runs a similar type of non-pressure defense where we turned it over 17 times.

We had 16 turnovers last time out vs a Penn St team that wins by out-possessioning you. If we can make it through that game with 25 or less total turnovers and offensive rebounds allowed we have a pretty good chance of sweeping those guys.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, hhcmatt said:

Stevenson is going to dribble into a tunnel painted on a brick wall by a roadrunner at times but he's starting to grow on me.  He's part of the lineup that Fred throws out now when he wants to get stops.

Shamiel in 8 games since the return to play: 7.0 PPG, 48.8% FG (30% 3FG), 61.9% FT, 3.6 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.1 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 2.1 TPG, 16.6 MPG.

Expand that to 30 MPG (for comparison's sake) and that's 12.6 PTS, 6.5 RPG, 0.9 APG, 2.0 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 3.8 TPG. That's pretty much on par with Dalano's season averages (minus the playmaking).

18 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Shamiel in 8 games since the return to play: 7.0 PPG, 48.8% FG (30% 3FG), 61.9% FT, 3.6 RPG, 0.5 APG, 1.1 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 2.1 TPG, 16.6 MPG.

Expand that to 30 MPG (for comparison's sake) and that's 12.6 PTS, 6.5 RPG, 0.9 APG, 2.0 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 3.8 TPG. That's pretty much on par with Dalano's season averages (minus the playmaking).

Feels like he's figured out how to exist in our offense and while there are still WTF plays he makes it seems like he's been making better decisions. He's an elite finisher so it's really about how he ends up in the paint with the ball; bulldozing from the 3pt line ends with mixed results. Anyone know how much we pick and roll with Sham?

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like he's figured out how to exist in our offense and while there are still WTF plays he makes it seems like he's been making better decisions. He's an elite finisher so it's really about how he ends up in the paint with the ball; bulldozing from the 3pt line ends with mixed results. Anyone know how much we pick and roll with Sham?

Per Synergy, he has 13 shooting possessions as the pick-and-roll ball-handler. It hasn't gone well: 7 points, 2-7 FG, 1 foul, 5 turnovers. Tack on his passing possessions (six of them) and you don't get any more points, just 0-5 FG and another turnover. 

2 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Per Synergy, he has 13 shooting possessions as the pick-and-roll ball-handler. It hasn't gone well: 7 points, 2-7 FG, 1 foul, 5 turnovers. Tack on his passing possessions (six of them) and you don't get any more points, just 0-5 FG and another turnover. 

Yeah I see him as a very good iso player who is too quick for most bigs and too strong for most guards.  The problem is our offense outside of Lat has only iso players, even though all of them (Banton/Trey/Teddy/Shamiel) are pretty good in one on one situations.  I feel like any of these guys will be more effective with guys like Bryce, Tominaga, and Wilhelm on the court to spread things out.  At least, that's my hope.  The fact Shamiel has decent numbers of late is even more remarkable considering there is constantly someone guarding the paint and sagging off everyone besides Lat.