2022 C Blaise Keita - LOI

PointGuard

11 hours ago, throwback said:

It's certainly possible he could change his mind, but he did commit to Fred & Co without ever meeting them in person. He clearly trusts them. Being that team that identified his talent early on & believed in him immediately should certainly help too.

Once he has a chance to visit Lincoln hopefully this summer/early fall & see the facilities, plus get a chance to meet the other players & coaches in person, that hopefully will help to solidify his choice. In this case, it's probably a benefit that he wasn't able to take an official clear back last fall, because now it'll be much fresher in his mind on signing day after he does get to visit this summer or fall.

I'm pretty sure his coach said some schools have been asking about him regularly since he committed to NU, so the extra attention shouldn't be new for him either. (The  quality of schools providing the attention may change, though.)

None of that guarantees he still signs with us, but I'd rather have the verbal at this point and be in the lead than trying to play catch-up like everyone else is doing.

My sense is that guys who grew up here and watched NCAA tournaments when they were little kids tend to be more swayed by the name on the front of the jersey.

Guys who grew up overseas and came to the US to play a year or two of prep school or juco ball before landing a D1 college scholarship tend to be less swayed by the basketball reputation of the school because they tend to be less familiar with those reputations. For them, it tends to be more about their relationship with the coach and general comfort level with the school. Therefore, they tend to be less likely to switch after they commit when a blueblood program makes a push.

The first guy I can remember thinking that about was Aleks Maric. The way I remember it, he started getting some serious recruiting push from some more blueblood type programs and, notwithstanding that push, he 1) committed to us, and 2) remained committed to us.

As I understand it Blaise must Graduate from JC first; so it would depend on Coffeeville.  I saw some discussion whether he could graduate early but (sorry, I don't remember the details) it would be virtually impossible given the caseload he'd have to take.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Vinny said:

If we actually have the shooters on the roster that we think we have, it’s gonna seem real easy for Blaise in our offense without two extra defenders collapsing on him all the time. 

Well, the flip side will also be true. He could force double teams that free up shooters. As long as he's a capable passer out of the post, it could be the other team hustling all over to make their defensive rotations and close out shooters and just not quite getting there soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 C Blaise Keita - VC
  • 2 weeks later...