uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 19 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Yeah he's basically Darryl Morsell without being able to finish at the rim.  It almost always looks like he's making some sort of difficult acrobatic shot when driving which on one hand is impressive that he can do but on the other hand explains why he isn't finishing. Not sure if he needs to try and draw more or less contact. 

To me it looks like he’s more concerned about trying to deceive the refs into calling a foul than he is putting the ball in the basket. More often than not those acrobatics aren’t necessary. 

It felt like Teddy has been passing more though when I look at his numbers it's not entirely shocking to discover that his career high in a game is 3.  However, that modest career high has come in two of the last three games. With defenses likely to key on him I think we could see him hit 5 sooner than later as his offense game develops over the season.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It felt like Teddy has been passing more though when I look at his numbers it's not entirely shocking to discover that his career high in a game is 3.  However, that modest career high has come in two of the last three games. With defenses likely to key on him I think we could see him hit 5 sooner than later as his offense game develops over the season.

He definitely has been a different player since his "sit-down."  You can tell he is really trying to be more of a team player by quite often driving and dishing the ball out.  You can also tell he's not totally comfortable with that style of play, but I give him credit for trying.  I think it will pay dividends if he can continue on this trajectory.

The big problem is, he is terrible at passing the ball because everything he does is akin to "street ball," i.e., making the 'fancy' pass instead of the 'good' pass.  Quite frankly, this is a problem with the entire team and is the major contributor to high turnover numbers.  I don't think I've seen a team make so many lazy passes, one-handed passes, weak lob passes and just poor decision-making passes in my life.  A good defensive team will eat those alive every time, as we witnessed twice against Maryland, and which is a staple for many B1G teams.  Regardless of poor shooting which has plagued Nebrastketball for eons, Hoiberg really needs to find a way to clean up the lackadaisical ball handling and passing, or the program will never improve to where we would like to see it.