uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 18 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

19 minutes ago, The Jazz Huddle said:

Yes! That’s my team! My name is the same as my YouTube channel, we commentate. 

To your point, he plays way too tall, and in my opinion he’s nowhere near as explosive as he needs to be. With that being said, depending on his role next year, and you have to remember he has time, as he is a sophomore, I’m guessing they’re going to keep developing him into that point guard archetype. A lot of these things are developmental and it will take a change in his play style for him to be a reliable 1. I guess we’ll just see what he wants to do but I just don’t know what the best option for him would be.

We run so poorly in missed-bucket transition, and I think the answer for him being effective is for him to get rebounds and immediately push it. If we would run lanes better and harder, he would have easier drive lanes or easier kick outs. To me that is the answer for him to being a better distributer and attacker. But in the half court, someone else probably needs to initiate the offense. 

57 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Therein lies the dilemma...who is the PG if it's not Banton and is it any better? 

On this roster?  We don't have a PG.  Kobe seems like he could be, just based on the eyeball test of being able to dribble under pressure.  But he really doesn't seem like a great passer to me, so you're losing out on those handful of great passes that Banton makes.  After that we have a bunch of guys that are good ball handlers, but not good enough to be a floor general.  And no one else that seems to have even average vision for setting up teammates.

40 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

On this roster?  We don't have a PG.  Kobe seems like he could be, just based on the eyeball test of being able to dribble under pressure.  But he really doesn't seem like a great passer to me, so you're losing out on those handful of great passes that Banton makes.  After that we have a bunch of guys that are good ball handlers, but not good enough to be a floor general.  And no one else that seems to have even average vision for setting up teammates.

Losing Carter Whitt to Wake Forest stings a bit more now.

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

While I'm sure he'll get better his numbers make Banton look like Magic Johnson

I caught a little of their game against Florida State last weekend. He looked pretty in control of himself down the stretch in a big game for a true freshman. We often look like we’ve lost ourselves for long periods of time.

Looks like he turns it over (3.3/game) but he shoots well from deep (39%) and has good scoring (4.9) and assist (2.7) numbers for 12 mins a game. I’d be happy if he was coming off the bench and getting us back on track offensively.

42 minutes ago, Vinny said:

I caught a little of their game against Florida State last weekend. He looked pretty in control of himself down the stretch in a big game for a true freshman. We often look like we’ve lost ourselves for long periods of time.

Looks like he turns it over (3.3/game) but he shoots well from deep (39%) and has good scoring (4.9) and assist (2.7) numbers for 12 mins a game. I’d be happy if he was coming off the bench and getting us back on track offensively.

Florida State?😃

Edited by Bugeaters1

Crazy part is as poorly as it felt like we played, it was still tied with 8 to go on the road against a team that has NCAA tourney plans, and we easily could've had a decent lead.

• 2 defensive rebounds we should've had in the first half, got caught standing and watching, and UM turned both second chances into 3s
  • Missed goal tending call on Banton's layup late first half
  • Had a 1 pt lead with 1 minute left, perfect chance at 2-for-1 possessions to end the half, yet somehow we end up getting outscored 5-0 (even worse, I think we took a timeout before starting the 2-for-1 and still botched it)
  • Poor goal tend call on Andre's block early second half

And that doesn't even count the 4-6 relatively open missed layups in the first 32 minutes where we just looked like we short-armed it (probably a sign of tired legs). 

Hopefully UM playing its 3rd game in 4 days tonight evens the tired legs playing field a bit.

Edited by throwback