uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 18 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

It will be interesting to see when the Big 10 gives Michigan their grueling stretch if they wear down like Nebraska looked like tonight.

Yeah, it's been really obvious we have no legs late in regulation the past 2 games - just no movement on offense the last several minutes. A lot of standing around and resting on that end.

Throw in Walker being unavailable, and we don't have the depth to finish strong in game 6 in 11 days.

Need a 10+ pt lead at the under 8 timeout tomorrow, or game 7 in 12 days probably won't end up any better.

Definitely showed the fatigue tonight. I still think they fought hard for the most part - just a grueling stretch for the fellas. Hopefully they can dig deep one more time and knock the Terps out of tourney contention tomorrow night!

9 minutes ago, Lohusker said:

Interesting tidbit from Fred in PC - starting next Tuesday they play every other day through the rest of the season.

I’m thinking Iowa and Minn are next week, they are both scheduled to be off all week. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a similar back-to-back series with Purdue like they're doing now with Maryland.

27 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a similar back-to-back series with Purdue like they're doing now with Maryland.

he said they have 2 days off again after Purdue, so doesn’t sound like it. 

I’m guessing, based on schedules, it ends up Min, @IA, Rut, PSU, @Ill, @PU, @NW.   Maybe they will give them Iowa or NW at home to give them a break,  but I doubt it.  

Edited by Lohusker

Notes from UNL

*-Nebraska finished with 13 steals, its highest total since the opener (16 vs. McNeese State). It marked the fifth time this season with at least 10 steals. Nebraska forced Maryland into a season-high 17 turnovers, but converted those into just four points.
*-Teddy Allen finished in double figures for the 16th time in 18 games with a team-high 18 points and also grabbed a team-best five rebounds.
*-Trey McGowens tied his season high with three steals, while freshman Eduardo Andre had the first two steals of his career. McGowens has had three steals in each of the past two games.
*-Dalano Banton finished with a pair of 3-pointers, his first game with multiple 3-pointers since Dec. 22, on his way to a 10-point night
*-Nebraska’s eight 3-pointers were its highest total since returning to action following the pause. NU has now hit seven-or-more 3-pointers in each of the last three games
*-Nebraska returns to action tomorrow for the second half of this back-to-back series. It will mark the first time since 1976 that the Huskers have played the same opponent on consecutive days.

If you watch closely, Trey isn’t particularly strong with the ball as a primary ball handler. I dare say Kobe is our best, at times Trey is close to being called for a carry or coughing it up. Banton got cleanly stripped twice while attempting dribble drives. Got to figure that’s on teams scouting reports. I somewhat wish Cam Mack had access to Derrick Walker and this years group-Cam on the court attacked but also dished a lot of nice dimes to Yvan last year, they just didn’t convert. Have to wonder why Fred went so long without a big man- seemed to hurt us rebounding and defensively. 

10 hours ago, Lohusker said:

he said they have 2 days off again after Purdue, so doesn’t sound like it. 

I’m guessing, based on schedules, it ends up Min, @IA, Rut, PSU, @Ill, @PU, @NW.   Maybe they will give them Iowa or NW at home to give them a break,  but I doubt it.  

Play as many as possible. In order to finish 13th (the most humble goal imaginable at this point), we need to beat NW and win one more. With more opportunities to pull off an upset, that goal is reachable. Of course, that's assuming Northwestern loses out. If the conference wanted to be creative, they could schedule Northwestern at Nebraska between Feb. 23-26, matching the two bottom teams against each other before the season finale in Evanston. Both teams might feel as if they're getting a nice break from the top 25 gantlet, and it would probably be a competitive game.

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

If you watch closely, Trey isn’t particularly strong with the ball as a primary ball handler. I dare say Kobe is our best, at times Trey is close to being called for a carry or coughing it up. Banton got cleanly stripped twice while attempting dribble drives. Got to figure that’s on teams scouting reports. I somewhat wish Cam Mack had access to Derrick Walker and this years group-Cam on the court attacked but also dished a lot of nice dimes to Yvan last year, they just didn’t convert. Have to wonder why Fred went so long without a big man- seemed to hurt us rebounding and defensively. 

I argued early on Banton was our best PG. I take that all back, we run so much smoother when he is NOT running the point. 

1 minute ago, colhusker said:

I argued early on Banton was our best PG. I take that all back, we run so much smoother when he is NOT running the point. 

I miss Cam.  Not the headcase/locker room problem side of him, but the dude that could show up and distribute.  That side of him sure would be nice to have around.  It's unfortunate that they were two sides of the same guy.

39 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I too fell in love with the "idea," of Banton as our PG - but in reality it has not been good. 

Banton still has quite a bit of talent at the PG position, the mentality and decision-making is definitely not there yet though. Hopefully in the future he will have pieces that will help him develop into that role, but for now, it's not looking great.

12 minutes ago, The Jazz Huddle said:

Banton still has quite a bit of talent at the PG position, the mentality and decision-making is definitely not there yet though. Hopefully in the future he will have pieces that will help him develop into that role, but for now, it's not looking great.

Imma upvote that, your first. Welcome to Misery Island.

11 minutes ago, The Jazz Huddle said:

Love your name - They've been fun to watch this year (I assume you're referring to the Utah Jazz, if not, screw me then). 

Disagree quite a bit. He plays far too tall to get by the guys who guard him, he cannot shoot the 3, and he is a miserable FT shooter. He also does not know how to simply draw two and kick (and is having a tougher and tougher time drawing two defenders cause he can't get by his initial defender). IMO - he needs to hit the weight room and become a swing 3 or 4. He needs to be guarding not as quick guys, and needs better match-ups on the defensive end. His stuff and his talent works if he's being guarded by a 4. But he's easily neutralized if he's being guarded by a 1-3. 

Yes. I think we all were enamored with the thought of a 6-9 point guard. There was even a Banton to the NBA thread for a while. This guy is a “little ways” away from being a boba fide NBA Player. His greatest attribute is that he’s long. He doesn’t strike me as overly athletic or explosive. His inability to make passes on give and go’s is worrisome- and he’s prone to getting the ball stolen while driving. This also applies to Shamiel, who has just as much of a chance to be called for a charge. I know Fred likes positionless players, but having a true distributor may need to climb up his priority for the future. 

27 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Love your name - They've been fun to watch this year (I assume you're referring to the Utah Jazz, if not, screw me then). 

Disagree quite a bit. He plays far too tall to get by the guys who guard him, he cannot shoot the 3, and he is a miserable FT shooter. He also does not know how to simply draw two and kick (and is having a tougher and tougher time drawing two defenders cause he can't get by his initial defender). IMO - he needs to hit the weight room and become a swing 3 or 4. He needs to be guarding not as quick guys, and needs better match-ups on the defensive end. His stuff and his talent works if he's being guarded by a 4. But he's easily neutralized if he's being guarded by a 1-3. 

Yes! That’s my team! My name is the same as my YouTube channel, we commentate. 

To your point, he plays way too tall, and in my opinion he’s nowhere near as explosive as he needs to be. With that being said, depending on his role next year, and you have to remember he has time, as he is a sophomore, I’m guessing they’re going to keep developing him into that point guard archetype. A lot of these things are developmental and it will take a change in his play style for him to be a reliable 1. I guess we’ll just see what he wants to do but I just don’t know what the best option for him would be.