uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 16 - Illinois

uneblinstu

Full disclosure: I watched every second with my son from a hotel room in Florida on our phones. Thank God for YouTube TV. Liked our fight, liked our defensive effort, loved that we never folded.

Hated Banton’s free throw attempts 

hated Shamiel’s three costly turnovers

Regretted Trey’s end of regulation decision to stand and dribble. May as well have held the ball and handed it to the ref. 
Someday folks. Someday. 
Derrick Walker is a man. 
Great shooting by Lat

Surprise offense by Thor

I’ll probably have more when I can fully digest it but that was fun. I don’t care about the wins or losses at this point. I just want to see continuous effort and something that looks like basketball for a majority of the game - we did. Nebraska can absolutely build off of this game with a lot of positives on both ends of the floor. (The end of regulation was a disaster for sure.)

I still feel like I did after the 2 Wisconsin games, Michigan game, 2 Michigan State games, Ohio State game, etc.  It still hurts.  But, baby steps. 

We played well for the most part.  One player makes the difference, and they exploited match-ups.

Free throw shooting was decent, but 1 miss here or there cost us.  Went 17  - 25.

We need to learn how to win and that will come if we can keep this team together.

Teddy's best game of the year.  If we are guaranteed this Teddy, we need him around next year.

We are getting closer.  We hung in this stretch with 2 good teams (Wisc and Illinois), and 2 average team (MSU and Minn) in 6 days.  

Got to figure out how to stay fresh in this grueling stretch.

We play like tonight definite wins are there for the taking.

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We have gone from wondering if we will ever see Nebrasketball win a tourney game to wondering if we will ever win another Big Ten game. 

8 more chances this year. 

Yeah, the loss stings but we made strides tonight.  I don't care how many we win or lose the rest of the way, we just need to keep building and identifying the players that will be part of next years core.  Walker is really emerging, Andre has potential, and Trey, Banton and Lat look like good role players.  Fred needs time to bring in more horses and a point guard!

1 minute ago, demone said:

I’ll probably have more when I can fully digest it but that was fun. I don’t care about the wins or losses at this point. I just want to see continuous effort and something that looks like basketball for a majority of the game - we did. Nebraska can absolutely build off of this game with a lot of positives on both ends of the floor. (The end of regulation was a disaster for sure.)

I hope so too.  I just hope they dont lay an egg, which I can see happening, against Penn St.

You could argue that team we lost to tonight in an empty gym was almost as talented as the Kansas team we couldn't put away a couple of years ago.

I think we've found something with Walker and Andre stabilizing our interior and we just need to figure out to close out a close one.  If we could hang on for a win in the meantime that would be just fine too

My 4 takeaways:

1. Cockburn gets away with so much pushing, it's nauseating. His first foul comes midway through the 2nd half...Yeah,ok.

2. Ayo carries the ball worse than Banton, yet never gets called for it. 

3. Banton might be the worst FT/jump shooter/finisher for being 6'9 and a PG/SG that I've ever seen. I love the kid. He has some great skills. However, he is a huge liability in tight games late. His defense is atrocious as well when covering smaller guards.

4. Having said all that, what a great team effort. Clean up the dumb turnovers that popped up at times, make a feel more FTs, and we have ourselves a decent team.

It seems I had a different takeaway from this game than many others.

Let me preface by saying what I've said many times before. Wins/losses, going into this season none of that mattered to me. I just wanted to see progress going into next season when we see an influx in our recruiting class.

That said, this season has been a complete an utter disaster. Aside from Michigan, there was very very little progress I saw that we built on going into the season. Enter Wisconsin and Illinois, and I'm finally starting to see some progress. We need to build on this, but this loss today felt so much better than a win against McNeese, NDSU, South Dakota, and Doane combined.

Edited by HuskerFever

I have been reading this forum for years and for some reason I feel like I need to finally post. I am actually asking this question cause I feel like I have a different viewpoint than some of the other folks on here. I realize that you can make an argument that Teddy kept us in this game, made some great plays in the second half and I don't disagree with that assessment. What I am struggling with is the poor decision making around all around that good production. Driving into triple teams on two straight trips in the first half. Poor "hero ball" decisions to close out the game and overtime. Was I the only one who noticed his noticeable reaction to not getting the ball in overtime?

To me, he seems to think he needs to play the game like James Harden. Or more accurately, he thinks he CAN play the game like James Harden. I leave every game wondering if the negative just outweighed his positive. But there seems to be a contingent of folks who think Teddy is much more a net positive for this team than I do right now. So I guess what I am asking is, what am I missing? I am not saying I am right. I am completely open to thinking I am wrong. I am not opposed to Teddy. Not a hater by any means. I just struggle cause I don't seem to feel like we would miss him in the mix next year. 

Edited by Lukin10

Last play of regulation falls on Teddy I think. He brings his man in the area and just kind of stands there. Either set the pick or get moving so Trey has some space. 

Love watching Lat and Derrick. 

I know it's probably not a great idea, but I wish Thor would get some time at the point. His passes are very crisp. And he. does not just go blindly into the lane which Delano does sometimes. I like Delano, just not sure pg is his best position.

I hope Eduardo sticks around for. a while. Really want to see how he develops. 

I like John Higgins, but there was a play right in front of him where the Illinois guy pushed our guy (it was at the start of an inbounds play) and he calls nothing. I did not understand that.

16 minutes ago, Lukin10 said:

I have been reading this forum for years and for some reason I feel like I need to finally post. I am actually asking this question cause I feel like I have a different viewpoint than some of the other folks on here. I realize that you can make an argument that Teddy kept us in this game, made some great plays in the second half and I don't disagree with that assessment. What I am struggling with is the poor decision making around all around that good production. Driving into triple teams on two straight trips in the first half. Poor "hero ball" decisions to close out the game and overtime. Was I the only one who noticed his noticeable reaction to not getting the ball in overtime?

To me, he seems to think he needs to play the game like James Harden. Or more accurately, he thinks he CAN play the game like James Harden. I leave every game wondering if the negative just outweighed his positive. But there seems to be a contingent of folks who think Teddy is much more a net positive for this team than I do right now. So I guess what I am asking is, what am I missing? I am not saying I am right. I am completely open to thinking I am wrong. I am not opposed to Teddy. Not a hater by any means. I just struggle cause I don't seem to feel like we would miss him in the mix next year. 

Not a direct response to your question, but I do feel like Fred has been a lot better lately about recognizing when Teddy needs to come out and when to leave him in.  What used to be 5-7 mistakes and drives into traffic has turned into 1-2 and a trip to the bench.  He seems to come back much more level headed after taking the trip to the bench too.