IOWA GAME THREAD 2 11 21

redsteve

Well, not much to say except that we continued to battle and finally hit some shots on that 13-0? run that made it a close game.  Having a player that is as talented as Clark is is a difference maker for any team (no kidding).  You better have a hand up against her wherever she is on the court!  And, finally, losing to Iowa ALWAYS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  Games like these reminds you that the coaches need to keep battling on the recruiting front to get more quality players.  GBR!!

I need to amend this to say that I'm not suggesting that we don't have quality players, but that we need more of them, and a few of those to be at a higher level.

Edited by mwm89

It seems like it is really hard to win when you are out-shot on FGs (45.5% > 50.8); Treys (26.9% > 50.0) & FTS (73.7% > 80.0)  with almost the same number of shots by each team.  

Thinking about it, how in the world did a team out-shot like this come back from a 17 point deficit to close within 4 pts in the final two minutes, losing by only seven when we were forced to give them FTs to extend the game?   I think we all Underestimate the Scrappiness, Teamwork, and yes, Quality of the players, despite everyone's trepidation's regarding the roster turnover between seasons.   Of the one's who left, I'm not sure I'd rather have any one of them back over the newcomers, who have really surprised.  Of the two, Haiby and Brown, we've kept the better of the two.  Without a doubt, Sam Haiby is the Spark-plug of the team that makes it go.

The other statistics seem pretty even.  Stand-outs are Turnovers (IA - 16 vs NE -10); Points on Turnovers (IA - 15; NE - 21) & Points in the Paint (IA -34; NE - 38).  It must be the 3-pt shooting that got us.  Listening to Matt & Jeff, it seems that there were a lot of traveling calls that weren't made; who know how that might have disrupted IA offense if called?

I've had some doubts about the coaching, but I think we are on the right track.  Team performance like this just doesn't come without good coaching; and did I mention the incoming recruiting class!

While I think we had good numbers yesterday, we just do not have a reliable outside shooter this year. One thing I would like to see is players working on their weaknesses once they get into the off season. If they are going to take a step forward as a team, then we need to be able to make those threes when open, make our foul shots (was thinking Bourne was better from the line than she really is), and make the crisp pass. Really the difference mostly can be traced to 3 point shooting. Clark hitting the three from about 35 was a back breaker.  Kind of takes me back to the Creighton game.  I think Matt and Jeff say a lot of things, and granted they have seen a lot of basketball but some of traveling just does not get called much anymore. Part of how the game has changed. 

5 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

Fastbreaker - That was Brown's first game back in about 5 weeks. She was out on CV19 protocol before Michigan paused all sports for two weeks. I have seen a few of Brown's games and she has improved her defense. Clark is not on the court for her defense. I would take her in a micro second for NE.

Here is the big unknown at this stage that we may never figure out.  Why is our chemistry so much better this year than last.  I have my suspicions but not being part of the program each day I will keep them to my self.  Whatever, this year it's infinitely better.  Besides I like Bourne at the 3 with Cravens starting.  Bourne is one of the most improved players in the league and Cravens is one of the best transfers.

Part of our chemistry can be due to CV19. They are in a bubble as much as they can be so if you think about it having to lean on each other more than you normally would can be a factor. Plus in any group, you have some who work together better than others. I would think all of us here on the forum have from time to time had to work with someone we tolerate because we have to. That is no different for the BB team. Personalities can clash in one case and mesh in another. It does not say they are a bad person it just did not work. I would think all of the girls that have left the team from last year or this year are happy where they have chosen to finish their college days.