uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 14 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

• Teddy not starting was problematic, but I was encouraged to see how he interacted with his teammates. Especially during the timeouts. He was the first one off the bench to meet them on the floor.
  • I'll be interested to know why Lakes got the start and not Thor or Stevenson or Webster. 
  • They didn't look very good the first 8 minutes of the game or so, at least not offensively. Lots of out of control darts thrown at the rim in the paint. You'll be surprised to know they didn't score many points off of those attempts.
  • Stevenson really coming into his own. This is more of what I expected to see from him this year. 
  • Teddy's absence really hurt.
  • Lat had a nice little second half.
  • Thought Andre flashed some good things, too.
  • Huskers can dig in defensively a times. Need to do it more consistently.
  • NU had a chance in this one. They have one completely inept stretch where they can't get out of their own way. That has been the difference in these games. This game it came early.
  • Banton seems to travel a lot.
  • I liked that Walker tried to take on Robbins when he was in foul trouble. Didn't always work, but I liked seeing recognition. That seems to not happen as often as it should.

Andre is an interesting prospect. Going to be interesting to see what he looks like with a offseason in the weight room.  He and Walker need to receive the bulk of the minutes down low going forward. Drago at this point is what he is. If you are lucky to hit the rim on a bunny you should not be playing. 

Just now, unl said:

So two things. 

Why Lakes?? 

And why the poor shooting for two years? This is Fred’s bread and butter-shooting/scoring. 

Fred probably thought Trevor would go off playing in front of relatives? Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes!

I'll see myself out and don't forget to tip your server.

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Nothing new to be said that hasn't been said already.  We're 0 for our last year+ in the Big 10.  Let that sink in.

There you go cherry picking stats.  Ok, so we haven't technically won a game in the Big in over a year.  However, I would like to point out that we did not lose a big 10 game during the following months: April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November.  If you take away the other four more months, we've honestly held our own in conference.

Lakes starting was either a 'we're going to start a guy who is doing the right things off the court because we're missing a guy who isn't' or a 'let's see if what happens' sort of deal.  Feels like Lakes is trying to be a role player which to him involves not shooting unless wide open and never does the one thing he was brought here to do.

If the following isn't Nebrasketball in a nutshell, then I don't know what is:

Our opponent shoots 38% overall, 22% from 3, go 1-20 during a stretch in which we are ONLY able to cut it to 9 or 7, miss a wide open dunk in that stretch, and then somehow proceed to lose by 18.

One day this nightmare will end, but my God this has been a brutal year and a half. Here's to hoping we can get some more positive moments that eventually bring us a W.

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Lakes starting was either a 'we're going to start a guy who is doing the right things off the court because we're missing a guy who isn't' or a 'let's see if what happens' sort of deal.  Feels like Lakes is trying to be a role player which to him involves not shooting unless wide open and never does the one thing he was brought here to do.

Probably because the older guys told him if he shoots they will take his lunch money...

We ended up somewhere between being in this game and losing by 30+ if Carr and Robbins aren't in foul trouble the entire game.

Encouraging play and energy from Andre there. Him moving around on offense for the purpose of trying to get other people looks was unexpected.

Is Stevenson this decade's Toney McCray?

We've had 3 games the entire season where we made less than 7 threes:  The Ohio St game and the two games back from the break. Doesn't look like a lot of guys shooting with confidence out there from outside.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I just find it very telling that a team going 1-5 in their last 6 games, wins by 18, and the takeaway is "Well, there's many lessons to be learned about this. But at least we walked away with a win."

they didn't play well, and I'm sure Baby Pitino knows had they played anyone with a pulse, they lose another one tonight. 

Fortunately they play the one near-guaranteed win in the conference.