Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

3 hours ago, Huskerone said:

I'd just like to feel like we are starting to build something.  I'm not sure I've felt that after the past 3 years.  I know what Hoiberg started with, basically Thor, so an epic build for sure, thus I've given him a pretty liberal amount of grace.  I'm sure Hoiberg hoped for more out of his first class, but was an epic bust.  Maybe now longer relationships with recruits, means more of the type of players he wants, less reaches, maybe translates into less transfers?  I just hope the foundation is finally starting to be built.  Hopefully the players that decide to stay are bricks of that foundation. 

Can't fall further than last place, so its only up from here, right?

Hoiberg hasn’t even been here 2 years yet.

There is an elite recruiting class coming in (and he isn’t done).

I don’t think <2 years and only 1 offseason is a lot of time.  

Give him a sec.  

14 hours ago, jason2486 said:

For once, it'd be nice to have an offseason with no attrition. I feel like so often in recent years, we fill spots of players who leave with one year gap fillers that also don't pan out. It'd be nice to have guys start to stay for 4-5 years and see what they could become by their senior year. Think about how well that would potentially affect team chemistry as well.

Unfortunately that's not a reality in college athletics anymore especially with the pandemic. The one good thing going into next year compared to the other 2 years is we have our first 5* player and a really damn good top 150 player too.

• 10 months later...

Bump

My post is on page 3 dated February 12, 2021:

The B1G is a grind.  So many top level teams.  What we are all learning is that to compete in the B1G, you can't have a roster full of one-dimensional players.  We have some players that our good/great athletes, but not great shooters (Banton, Trey, Shamiel).  We have others that our good shooters, but not good athletes (Webster, Lakes).  And then we have a guy like Lat who is a decent shooter and a decent athletes (but not great by any means), but otherwise lacks all basic basketball skills.  And Teddy, well, he is just Teddy (not a great athlete and really struggles with the mental game).

I love Trey, love his grit, hustle, effort, and even his gamesmanship (drawing fouls, etc).  Great athlete, but unfortunately, he is just not a naturally skilled basketball player.  He is an athlete playing basketball.  He can get incrementally better, and he definitely is a keeper, but he mostly is what he is--an inefficient grinder who will never be a great passer or shooter.  Although his 3-point percentage is good, it is on low volume, especially in conference where he has shot only 13 threes in 8 games, and you can see he is hesitant to pull the trigger, resulting in him constantly driving the lane.  So many people say all we have to do is "love the rim".  Well, I think we all saw what can happen when a bunch of players who can't shoot just "love the rim" all game.  It wasn't pretty.

Andre.  Although he hasn't done much this year, I really like Andre. He is a definite bright spot in my book.  He already has much better feel, touch and skill than either Yvonne or Walker.  And he hasn't even been playing the game that long.  Great length and very good athleticism.  Good timing.  He could eventually be the big man we need, but he needs to put on weight.  That will be the determining factor, can he bulk up enough.

As to next year, Bryce McGowens is exactly the type of player we need.  A three dimensional player, a three level scorer, passer defender.  He has the whole package.  But, he is slender and will just be a freshman. I don't think it is fair to expect him to come in as a skinny freshman and tear up the B1G. 

I hope upon hope I am wrong, but I don't see much contribution next year coming from either Keisei or Breidenbach.  I have already posted my thoughts about Breidenbach, and his lack of size and athleticism, so I won't repeat here other than to say this goes back to my initial point.  He appears to me to be a one-dimensional player--very skilled, but poor athlete.  I just don't see it working in the B1G, especially not his first couple of years (and who knows if he will last all 4 years, does anyone?).  Keisie is the same things--very skilled shooter, but lacks athleticism and size.  Yet another one-dimensional player.  I don't think he will be able to get his shot off consistently in the B1G, and he will get destroyed on the defensive end.  I recently checked his juco stats and they have only played a couple games but his numbers were very pedestrian and he didn't even start at least one of the games. 

Fred made a mistake in thinking he could bring in 2 coaches that only coach and don't recruit.  He has relied almost exclusively on Matt A. to do all the recruiting.  This simply isn't working.  Fred is going to have to make some tough decisions in the offseason and most likely have to bring in 1 or 2 more ace recruiters to up the talent.  It is that simple.  Nebraska has a talent problem.  Upgrade the talent, and upgrade the wins.  With that said, it is so disappointing seeing his complete inability to recruit the talent right here in our own state.  As someone who watched Danny Nee lock up the state at a time of great Nebraska talent, it is a shame to see player after player in our home state go to other schools when if they simply all cam together here at NU, along with Bryce, Banton, Andre and Trey, could have a great, and I mean great, team.  Danny did it.  Why can't Fred?

Edited  by NUdiehard

On 3/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Fullbacksympathy said:

Hoiberg hasn’t even been here 2 years yet.

There is an elite recruiting class coming in (and he isn’t done).

I don’t think <2 years and only 1 offseason is a lot of time.  

Give him a sec.  

Did that "elite recruiting class" transfer before the season started and we were left with the guys that are playing now? 

1 hour ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

One of them is out for the season, and we haven't had Trey.  I don't think talent is the problem.  

The coaching has been very bad this season.  

I don't know...coaching is part of the problem, but they aren't the ones shooting the ball.  They aren't out there playing hero ball. They aren't holding each other accountable. It's on the team as a whole.  Player and coach 

4 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I don't know...coaching is part of the problem, but they aren't the ones shooting the ball.  They aren't out there playing hero ball. They aren't holding each other accountable. It's on the team as a whole.  Player and coach 

Fair enough, but it's on coaches to establish a culture or send kids packing, and when the head coach silences his assistants who like to get in kids' faces and put them in their place, this is the kind of product that happens.  I'll leave it at that.  

13 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Did that "elite recruiting class" transfer before the season started and we were left with the guys that are playing now? 

And, for what it's worth, I think Ramel Lloyd is the best recruit Hoiberg will have brought in to this point next season.  He's a special kid--glue guy, plays his ass off on both ends.  I can't wait for him to get here.  

11 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

And, for what it's worth, I think Ramel Lloyd is the best recruit Hoiberg will have brought in to this point next season.  He's a special kid--glue guy, plays his ass off on both ends.  I can't wait for him to get here.  

Until he puts on a Husker uniform he's just another kid playing basketball to me. I'm honestly tired of the hype fans, press, and coaches give these kids. This current team had been hyped like crazy by everyone before this season..and they didn't produce.