Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

18 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Any chance we see Banton move to the 3 spot next season, now that Allen will be gone? Banton just doesn't seem like the best fit for PG in the Big Ten, but with his length and skill set, I think he could be better at the 3 spot. Maybe a starting lineup like this?

1- McGowens

2-McGowens

3- Banton

4- Mayen

5- Walker

No.  Banton isn't a great spot up shooter like you would want at the 3.  The reason he works at PG is that he is a match-up nightmare as usually has someone 4 - 6" shorter guarding him.  If you move him to the 3, you loose that advantage and thus making him less effective on the floor.

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

When we shoot well, this whole thing works.  Ball movement has been crazy good the last two games.  

I’m guessing Keisei, Wilhelm, and Lakes all help us situationally next season.  Remember Bryce can really shoot it too, and he’s a better athlete than Teddy, we should be able to coach up his 6’6” frame on defense.  Having him and Lat will be nice for spacing offensively.  

Agree with the starting lineup above, but I think the two deep will be:

Bryce—Wood (Kobe?)... btw, I like Wood moving forward. 

Trey—Tominaga

Banton—Shamiel (Thor?)

Mayen—Wilhelm—Lakes

Walker—Andre—Yvan

I’m guessing Yvan will be gone.  I think we need a stud transfer PG.  Beyond that, color me intrigued by what we can do with situational basketball.  If I was Kobe, I’d be back.  I’m guessing Thor is on the fence.  If he plays like he has been lately, he gets starter’s minutes next year.  

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Nebraska would be much better off with Trey starting at the PG spot and Bryce starting at the 2 spot.

I think it would be very beneficial for Nebraska to have Trey at the PG spot. With his multiple years of college experience in both the ACC and the Big Ten, I like the idea of having him facilitate the offense. I think his experience is especially valuable in the Big Ten conference. I think Nebraska is on the cusp of being a really solid team and I think running the offense through an upperclassmen will help efficiency and help to limit momentum killing turnovers/decisions (ie "freshmen mistakes") And with his ability to be aggressive with the basketball, I like having him running the offense and setting the tone in terms of intensity.

I also think that Bryce is a better shooter from 3PT than Trey, so I think, for next year at least, he might me more valuable finding open spots on the 3PT line to get some open shots, along with Lat, in order to help stretch the defense, rather than having Bryce focused on facilitating.

As far as Wood, I like his potential and I would think Nebraska will try to keep him around, since he is good friends with Trey and Bryce.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

5 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Safe to say Yvan gone as well? 0 minutes the last two games.  6 minutes in last 4 games.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  A lot of overseas players end up sticking it out at their original school, especially if their first time in America was when they arrived for college.  Which makes sense.  If you are two years into a degree at an American university, but unhappy with your playing time, what do you do?  In theory you could transfer to another school, but it is really tough to completely upend your life in a country where the only people you know are at your current college.  Often times the decision comes down to heading back to Europe to play professionally or just toughing it out and getting your degree at your current school.

16 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Ya I hope wood stays around too essentially because at some point we need to keep these guys and develop atleast some of them into upperclassman. His size plus supposed shooting ability should find minutes eventually to if he’s committed.  I will say his body language after the big dunk last night is a bit concerning to me. 

To be frank, his body language has been concerning most every time he has entered a game. Looks disinterested and his effort hasn't been great either. Having said this, he does look engaged on the bench and is often cheering on his teammates. I think he has potential to contribute down the road. Question is whether he's patient enough to stick around.

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  A lot of overseas players end up sticking it out at their original school, especially if their first time in America was when they arrived for college.  Which makes sense.  If you are two years into a degree at an American university, but unhappy with your playing time, what do you do?  In theory you could transfer to another school, but it is really tough to completely upend your life in a country where the only people you know are at your current college.  Often times the decision comes down to heading back to Europe to play professionally or just toughing it out and getting your degree at your current school.

Other thing I consider is having 3 bigs to throw around in big ten play is important. Yvan is clearly third on that list right now and Wilhelm might mix into that rotation (I think he'll backup lat personally with some spot minutes at the 5). 

I wouldn't be surprised either way, but there must be something there, especially if he didn't get in after the bench clearing yesterday. 

1 minute ago, kldm64 said:

No.  Banton isn't a great spot up shooter like you would want at the 3.  The reason he works at PG is that he is a match-up nightmare as usually has someone 4 - 6" shorter guarding him.  If you move him to the 3, you loose that advantage and thus making him less effective on the floor.

Except I think it's a pretty big stretch to say that Banton works at PG with his propensity for lack of focus turnovers that kill Nebraska's momentum. I think his skill set is fine for the 3 spot. Similar to the way that Shavon Shields worked well as a 3 that attacked the rim. I think this offense has looked much better having Trey at the PG spot and having Banton play off the ball more. I think you will get the boost of 3PT shooting from Bryce in the lineup and I hope to see him start at the 2 spot. 

5 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I think Nebraska would be much better off with Trey starting at the PG spot and Bryce starting at the 2 spot.

I think it would be very beneficial for Nebraska to have Trey at the PG spot. With his multiple years of college experience in both the ACC and the Big Ten, I like the idea of having him facilitate the offense. I think his experience is especially valuable in the Big Ten conference. I think Nebraska is on the cusp of being a really solid team and I think running the offense through an upperclassmen will help efficiency and help to limit momentum killing turnovers/decisions (ie "freshmen" mistakes) And with his ability to be aggressive with the basketball, I like having him running the offense and setting the tone in terms of intensity.

I also think that Bryce is a better shooter from 3PT than Trey, so I think, for next year at least, he might me more valuable finding open spots on the 3PT line to get some open shots, along with Lat, in order to help stretch the defense, rather than having Bryce focused on facilitating.

As far as Wood, I like his potential and I would think Nebraska will try to keep him around, since he is good friends with Trey and Bryce.

There are clearly some things to like about Trey running the show, namely, his intelligence and leadership.  But I don't think we have any chance to be good if he is the starting PG next year.  His passing and ball handling are acceptable for an off-ball guard, but really below average if you are comparing him to B1G-level point guards.  Intangibles are nice, but I want a point guard that can handle the rock and dish it out.

Purely hypothetically -- can you imagine a player with Cam Mack's ball handling and Trey's brain?  That would be awesome.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

There are clearly some things to like about Trey running the show, namely, his intelligence and leadership.  But I don't think we have any chance to be good if he is the starting PG next year.  His passing and ball handling are acceptable for an off-ball guard, but really below average if you are comparing him to B1G-level point guards.  Intangibles are nice, but I want a point guard that can handle the rock and dish it out.

Purely hypothetically -- can you imagine a player with Cam Mack's ball handling and Trey's brain?  That would be awesome.

I guess I'm not saying that I think Trey is the best possible PG, but I think that based on what we have on the roster and the 3 incoming freshmen, I like the idea, especially in the Big Ten, of a senior facilitating the offense, rather than a true freshman. I also like the idea of Trey facilitating, since he has experience in Hoiberg's system and since he already has a season of experience/chemistry with guys like Walker, Lat, Banton, etc... On paper, he may not be the ideal PG, but based on the roster, I think he would be the best option we have.

(Obviously, this could change, if Nebraska is able to land a transfer PG that could be a starter next season)

17 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I guess I'm not saying that I think Trey is the best possible PG, but I think that based on what we have on the roster and the 3 incoming freshmen, I like the idea, especially in the Big Ten, of a senior facilitating the offense, rather than a true freshman. I also like the idea of Trey facilitating, since he has experience in Hoiberg's system and since he already has a season of experience/chemistry with guys like Walker, Lat, Banton, etc... On paper, he may not be the ideal PG, but based on the roster, I think he would be the best option we have.

(Obviously, this could change, if Nebraska is able to land a transfer PG that could be a starter next season)

Gotcha.  So the age old question of dealing with the highs and lows of a talented frosh, vs the stability and lower ceiling of a senior playing out of position.  I think a Senior PG Trey would look a lot like Senior PG Dylan Talley, just for a point of comparison.  

14 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

This is interesting and bodes well for the future.  Our offensive sets and philosophy clearly don't seem like they have been the issue this year.  Hopefully we have some more horses next year to better execute the easy shots this offense generates!

That is a super interesting graph.  Definitely shows that HCFH is getting our guys into a position to be successful, but the shots just haven't gone in.

Edited by aphilso1

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Right now it seems like Yvan's spot in the rotation is 'come in if Derrick or Andre are in foul trouble'.  The last two games they haven't been in foul trouble.

Next year at this time you have

Walker-  SR

Andre - Soph

Yvan - Jr

The year after that you have

Andre - Jr

Yvan - Sr

Keita - Soph

If Yvan is ok with being a backup I think that works for us; he's a negative on offense but he's a brick wall in the paint defensively.  If he's not ok sitting, he's replaceable. 

What is the rule regarding loss (or lack thereof) of a year of eligibility for players for this season.  I thought ALL players would NOT lose any year of eligibility from this season.  In other words, Andre would still be a freshman next year, Yvan would still be a soph, Walker would still be a junior, etc. 

or is this not correct?  Is it only current seniors that don't lose a year?  If so, what about a player like Walker who is in his fourth (senior) year of school, but is considered a junior for eligibility because of his redshirt year?

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Gotcha.  So the age old question of dealing with the highs and lows of a talented frosh, vs the stability and lower ceiling of a senior playing out of position.  I think a Senior PG Trey would look a lot like Senior PG Dylan Talley, just for a point of comparison.  

Yeah, I also think it would be beneficial for Bryce as he transitions to college ball to be able to focus on spotting up and building confidence in his 3PT shot and getting acclimated to the speed and physicality of D1 basketball, especially the Big Ten.

3 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I think it would be very beneficial for Nebraska to have Trey at the PG spot. With his multiple years of college experience in both the ACC and the Big Ten, I like the idea of having him facilitate the offense. I think his experience is especially valuable in the Big Ten conference. I think Nebraska is on the cusp of being a really solid team and I think running the offense through an upperclassmen will help efficiency and help to limit momentum killing turnovers/decisions (ie "freshmen" mistakes) And with his ability to be aggressive with the basketball, I like having him running the offense and setting the tone in terms of intensity.

Good points.  I think the 1-3 with Bryce/Trey/Banton will be completely interchangeable as to who initiates the offense, and that's a huge advantage for us.  

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

This is interesting and bodes well for the future.  Our offensive sets and philosophy clearly don't seem like they have been the issue this year.  Hopefully we have some more horses next year to better execute the easy shots this offense generates!

This is really interesting.  The top of the key is normally the easiest 3 pt shot to make.  Baselines 3's are the hardest shots.   We are a strange shooting team.  Maybe it has to do with what personnel is ending up in those spots. 

1 minute ago, REDitus said:

This is really interesting.  The top of the key is normally the easiest 3 pt shot to make.  Baselines 3's are the hardest shots.   We are a strange shooting team.  Maybe it has to do with what personnel is ending up in those spots. 

Agreed and what seems equally as telling is how bad of a shooting team we are inside the paint.  50.2% has got to rank near the bottom 20% of all NCAA teams.  I think a lot of that is isolation penetration where we are putting up tough contested shots.  Contrast that what we saw last night with the slashing and easy layups and I suspect this percentage normalizes in a hurry with the proper offensive flow and ball movement.

27 minutes ago, REDitus said:

The corner three is the most accurate 3 in both college and the NBA.

https://kenpom.com/blog/three-point-accuracy-by-shot-angle/

"As it turns out, the corner three is also the most accurate three-point shot in the college game. And the shot from the wing is least accurate. Obviously, you have to take the data with a degree of skepticism. On any individual shot there’s plenty of inaccuracy in recording shot location. But over the course of thousands of shots, the influence of those errors should be minimized."

Edited by atskooc

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

The corner three is the most accurate 3 in both college and the NBA.

https://kenpom.com/blog/three-point-accuracy-by-shot-angle/

"As it turns out, the corner three is also the most accurate three-point shot in the college game. And the shot from the wing is least accurate. Obviously, you have to take the data with a degree of skepticism. On any individual shot there’s plenty of inaccuracy in recording shot location. But over the course of thousands of shots, the influence of those errors should be minimized."

Interesting.  I bet the corner 3 % is benefiting from the fact that they cannot be to far back otherwise they would be out of bounds where deeper shots are counted at the other spots which skews the stats.   It's the only thing that makes sense to me.   

36 minutes ago, REDitus said:

Interesting.  I bet the corner 3 % is benefiting from the fact that they cannot be to far back otherwise they would be out of bounds where deeper shots are counted at the other spots which skews the stats.   It's the only thing that makes sense to me.   

Yeah it's a closer shot and typically the most open/in rhythm in terms of drive and kick.