Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, 49r said:

I will never understand this type of thinking.  There are few people anywhere as invested in the fortunes of the Husker hoops program as Thor.  We need more guys on the team like him, not less, IMO.

10 hours ago, 49r said:

Exactly.  He's a high BBIQ guy that the coaches like, he has stuck with the program through highs and lows and a coaching change, so you know he is a loyal Husker, AND he doesn't count against our scholarship limit?

I would argue that not only do we *want* Thor to return for an extra year...we almost *need* him to.  Same goes for Kobe really.

I'm gonna just drop these right here.  I forgot to add Derrick above, but I guess that just a given that we need him back next year.

If you want to get pumped about next year (and beyond), on Friday "Greg from Myrtle Beach" who periodically calls in to Early Break w/ Sip & Jake gave a pretty optimistic assessment of Nebraska Basketball going forward.  I still haven't figure out exactly what he does but it seems he's some sort of talent evaluator / scout for high school players(?)

Skip to 21:30 --

https://theticketfm.com/?powerpress_pinw=132939-podcast

1 hour ago, hal9000 said:

If you want to get pumped about next year (and beyond), on Friday "Greg from Myrtle Beach" who periodically calls in to Early Break w/ Sip & Jake gave a pretty optimistic assessment of Nebraska Basketball going forward.  I still haven't figure out exactly what he does but it seems he's some sort of talent evaluator / scout for high school players(?)

This guy is, if anything, never boring.  He certainly wasn't a Miles fan at all.

I like how he starts crapping on 'relationships' and then start touting 'family' by describing building a relationship with Traudt by treating him like family.

1 hour ago, hal9000 said:

Love that review of keita, hopefully Andre takes over for Walker and keita takes over the Andre roll in two years. We could have a 3-4 year span where post play is actually a strength

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Is Lakes going to get in the rotation for the last 4+ games? Do we need to see something from him or is he going to decide he wants to play somewhere where he'll get more PT?

I have been wondering this also..  Him and Tominaga seem like basically the same player.  Do we really wanna tie up 2 scholarships with these 2.  I guess I will leave that up to Fred to decide but I did think he would see more minutes than what he has.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I have been wondering this also..  Him and Tominaga seem like basically the same player.  Do we really wanna tie up 2 scholarships with these 2.  I guess I will leave that up to Fred to decide but I did think he would see more minutes than what he has.

Besides them both being good at making 3s they're quite different. We're trying to make Lakes into a Mayen-esque stretch 4 fill-in.  Tominaga is more like Kobe Webster where he can handle the ball/get his own shot and we hope that it's enough to overcome his lack of size.

Any chance we see Banton move to the 3 spot next season, now that Allen will be gone? Banton just doesn't seem like the best fit for PG in the Big Ten, but with his length and skill set, I think he could be better at the 3 spot. Maybe a starting lineup like this?

1- McGowens

2-McGowens

3- Banton

4- Mayen

5- Walker

Edited by Nebrasketballer

Fred said a week or 2 ago that he was going to play Lakes and then hasn't.  With Teddy no longer on team maybe Shamiel gets more minutes at the 3 and Lakes takes minutes at 4.  On a team that doesn't shoot the 3 well (and now the best one statistically is gone), you wonder how Lakes hasn't got more minutes so hopefully he will.

4 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Fred said a week or 2 ago that he was going to play Lakes and then hasn't.  With Teddy no longer on team maybe Shamiel gets more minutes at the 3 and Lakes takes minutes at 4.  On a team that doesn't shoot the 3 well (and now the best one statistically is gone), you wonder how Lakes hasn't got more minutes so hopefully he will.

The thing is they have been shooting the 3 better lately.  Kobe, Bantonn Lat, and Trey have been shooting well.  As far as Lakes he wasnt even going to play this year so if he wants to I dont see why he wouldnt come back although he would have limited mins.

19 minutes ago, coughunter said:

The thing is they have been shooting the 3 better lately.

Shot 53% from 3 despite Teddy going 0-1 from deep on Saturday.  Yes, team 3 point shooting has definitely been on the uptick over the past few games.

1 hour ago, bigred4 said:

Fred saying Lakes is getting more minutes then not really doing that is reminiscent of last year and Samari Curtis. Feel like the same thing happened. Maybe that says something about Lakes future. Or maybe I’m overthinking it. 

1 hour ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Fred saying Lakes is getting more minutes then not really doing that is reminiscent of last year and Samari Curtis. Feel like the same thing happened. Maybe that says something about Lakes future. Or maybe I’m overthinking it. 

If I recall correctly, Curtis left shortly after Fred said that so who knows what would have happened to his playing time. Seems like he already had his mind made up.

4 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Safe to say Yvan gone as well? 0 minutes the last two games.  6 minutes in last 4 games.

Right now it seems like Yvan's spot in the rotation is 'come in if Derrick or Andre are in foul trouble'.  The last two games they haven't been in foul trouble.

Next year at this time you have

Walker-  SR

Andre - Soph

Yvan - Jr

The year after that you have

Andre - Jr

Yvan - Sr

Keita - Soph

If Yvan is ok with being a backup I think that works for us; he's a negative on offense but he's a brick wall in the paint defensively.  If he's not ok sitting, he's replaceable. 

When we shoot well, this whole thing works.  Ball movement has been crazy good the last two games.  

I’m guessing Keisei, Wilhelm, and Lakes all help us situationally next season.  Remember Bryce can really shoot it too, and he’s a better athlete than Teddy, we should be able to coach up his 6’6” frame on defense.  Having him and Lat will be nice for spacing offensively.  

Agree with the starting lineup above, but I think the two deep will be:

Bryce—Wood (Kobe?)... btw, I like Wood moving forward. 

Trey—Tominaga

Banton—Shamiel (Thor?)

Mayen—Wilhelm—Lakes

Walker—Andre—Yvan

I’m guessing Yvan will be gone.  I think we need a stud transfer PG.  Beyond that, color me intrigued by what we can do with situational basketball.  If I was Kobe, I’d be back.  I’m guessing Thor is on the fence.  If he plays like he has been lately, he gets starter’s minutes next year.  

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Bryce—Wood (Kobe?)... btw, I like Wood moving forward. 

Ya I hope wood stays around too essentially because at some point we need to keep these guys and develop atleast some of them into upperclassman. His size plus supposed shooting ability should find minutes eventually to if he’s committed.  I will say his body language after the big dunk last night is a bit concerning to me.