Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Is it confirmed that those who choose to come back for an extra year will count toward the scholarship limit?

I'm not sure if that has been decided yet or not but not sure how it couldn't be.  Otherwise, makes it difficult to know how many new players you can sign.

4 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

I'm not sure why he would want to stick around.

College paid for. 23 years old. Probably has all the credits he needs for graduation.  Not playing pro. Only responsibility is basketball. I'd sign on for another year of that if they'd let me. I think Hoiberg lets Thor stay if he wants to stay.

Edited by cornfed24-7

19 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

College paid for. 23 years old. Probably has all the credits he needs for graduation.  Not playing pro. Only responsibility is basketball. I'd sign on for another year of that if they'd let me. I think Hoiberg lets Thor stay if he wants to stay.

He could play some Europe hoops somewhere, closer to home, and get paid more than he's making now.

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Why do you think Lakes will be back?  Shamiel and Banton both will likely be back next year along with Lat, Derrick, Adre.  The rest on your list are all 50/50 on if they return.

The plan before the year was to sit and work on his weaknesses so that he can be a reliable player for next year. He basically has done that, plus a few spot minutes here and there and that one game that he caught fire.  I’m not sure why that plan would have changed.

I really hope the McGowens brothers are not 50/50...

Edited by JBARGIE

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

He could play some Europe hoops somewhere, closer to home, and get paid more than he's making now.

Color me skeptical. Maybe the lowest tier pro ball. What does that even pay? Is it even worth it? If memory serves he comes from a family that values education with all his siblings with professional degrees. Get started on his while someone else is footing the bill. Also, when you're from Iceland "closer to home" is kinda relative. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

2 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

The plan before the year was to sit and work on his weaknesses so that he can be a reliable player for next year. He basically has done that, plus a few spot minutes here and there and that one game that he caught fire.  I’m not sure why that plan would have changed.

I really hope the McGowens brothers are not 50/50...

The plan would have changed cause we are bringing in better talent and Lakes is a below average defender and average shooter based on his opportunities he has had.  If Lakes sees the floor next year, it should be in mop up duty only.

7 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Color me skeptical. Maybe the lowest tier pro ball. What does that even pay? Is it even worth it? If memory serves he comes from a family that values education with all his siblings with professional degrees. Get started on his while someone else is footing the bill. Also, when you're from Iceland "closer to home" is kinda relative. 

According to this source, it could be $60K+:

https://europrobasket.com/overseas-basketball-salaries/#Overseas_Basketball_Salaries_by_Country_-_Complete_Table_Chart

And when a pandemic is going on and international travel won't recover for another 2 years, just being within Europe improves your chances to be able to travel within the European Union.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

According to this source, it could be $60K+:

https://europrobasket.com/overseas-basketball-salaries/#Overseas_Basketball_Salaries_by_Country_-_Complete_Table_Chart

And when a pandemic is going on and international travel won't recover for another 2 years, just being within Europe improves your chances to be able to travel within the European Union.

I was just on that same site 😂

For 60k I'd enjoy college one more year. 

29 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

That is a really cool thing to do for DW, and quite an accomplishment especially considering the transfer in the middle of his academic career.  Congrats to Derrick and the whole Walker family

7 hours ago, 49r said:

I will never understand this type of thinking.  There are few people anywhere as invested in the fortunes of the Husker hoops program as Thor.  We need more guys on the team like him, not less, IMO.

I agree he can play a role, but if you are relying on a guy like Thor to go above his ceiling which he has hit, its not gonna happen.  You hope you have more talented players then him playing moving forward

Just for clarification Thor and/or Kobe can come back next year and it doesn't count towards our scholarship limit.  This is an exception only for the school on which a guy is currently on the roster.  If Luka Garza transferred here, we would need a schollie.

28 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Just for clarification Thor and/or Kobe can come back next year and it doesn't count towards our scholarship limit.  This is an exception only for the school on which a guy is currently on the roster.  If Luka Garza transferred here, we would need a schollie.

What about Grant Gibbs? Does he get an extra year due to COVID?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Exactly.  He's a high BBIQ guy that the coaches like, he has stuck with the program through highs and lows and a coaching change, so you know he is a loyal Husker, AND he doesn't count against our scholarship limit?

I would argue that not only do we *want* Thor to return for an extra year...we almost *need* him to.  Same goes for Kobe really.

19 hours ago, 49r said:

I will never understand this type of thinking.  There are few people anywhere as invested in the fortunes of the Husker hoops program as Thor.  We need more guys on the team like him, not less, IMO.

No we have plenty of guys who arent very good like him and that's why we have 1 conference win.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Well this certainly changes things then yes bring them back.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

:Signthanks:

Thanks Matt!!!   I had no clue about this.  :Redface:

Edit:  Uhhhh, it just occurred to me, does this apply to WBB Too?

Edited by Red Don