Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

49 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Here is my take on who i think should be here next year.  I really think we need to keep in mind that this year really hurt because it was supposed to be a time to improve in some areas and develop court time and just get "older".  We still can do that regardless of the month break due to COVID.  Need to play as many games this year as possible for development.  Having said that:

MUST STAYS (players to build on):

Banton

McGowens

Teddy (need to stick with the kid, i thought he played more team oriented last night)

Lat

Walker

Andre

Wood

INCOMING:

B McGowens

Keishei

Breidenbach

IN DOUBT:

Ivan

Stevenson

Lakes

Arop

I think we need to add a true PG, another shooter, and a "big"

Good, thoughtful post.   Technically Thor is eligible to return.   I assume you'll put him "in doubt"?   ( Man, have you watched Wood play?  Player to build on?   Wow.  I guess I get the "he's Bryce's buddy" thing, but if he ever plays significant minutes at this level, I'll eat your hat).  

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Good, thoughtful post.   Technically Thor is eligible to return.   I assume you'll put him "in doubt"?   ( Man, have you watched Wood play?  Player to build on?   Wow.  I guess I get the "he's Bryce's buddy" thing, but if he ever plays significant minutes at this level, I'll eat your hat).  

Thor needs to move on. I will leave it at that.  Wood is Bryce’s buddy. Ill leave that at that. 😂

9 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Here is my take on who i think should be here next year.  I really think we need to keep in mind that this year really hurt because it was supposed to be a time to improve in some areas and develop court time and just get "older".  We still can do that regardless of the month break due to COVID.  Need to play as many games this year as possible for development.  Having said that:

MUST STAYS (players to build on):

Banton

McGowens

Teddy (need to stick with the kid, i thought he played more team oriented last night)

Lat

Walker

Andre

Wood

INCOMING:

B McGowens

Keishei

Breidenbach

IN DOUBT:

Ivan

Stevenson

Lakes

Arop

I think we need to add a true PG, another shooter, and a "big"

Im good with this except Lakes.  Im not sure he would leave after 1 year especially since he wasnt supposed to play this yeat but we'll see.  Interesting to see what happens with Teddy otherwise the must stays need to be back.  Can woods develop into a pg that you need or cut him loose and find a true pg

17 hours ago, HB said:

Wood was the last minute scholarship fill with an emo twitter account.. This is the Nebraska basketball version of beaming down to the planet wearing a red uniform.

9 hours ago, coughunter said:

Im good with this except Lakes.  Im not sure he would leave after 1 year especially since he wasnt supposed to play this yeat but we'll see.  Interesting to see what happens with Teddy otherwise the must stays need to be back.  Can woods develop into a pg that you need or cut him loose and find a true pg

Yeah Lakes is borderline.  Kid can hit from the arc.  So he could be here.  Especially when this group figures out this system.  We are seeing it progress very slightly, ie first 9 or so minutes against Wisconsin.  In the system I agree Lakes is an asset.  People need to understand this thing could be closer than we think.  The pieces are here.. I really believe that because I have seen it.  We need reps, reps and more reps.  And most importantly we need to bring 7 or 8 of these guys

back... that is very important.  

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

Too old to understand a Star Trek original series reference?

Dayum!

Yeah, I definitely lack youth.   But that was mostly "emo twitter".   I have no idea what that is.   I vaguely heard of the Star Trek thing, but perhaps not being able to connect it to a message on the original post is a denseness problem in addition to age. 

The B1G is a grind.  So many top level teams.  What we are all learning is that to compete in the B1G, you can't have a roster full of one-dimensional players.  We have some players that our good/great athletes, but not great shooters (Banton, Trey, Shamiel).  We have others that our good shooters, but not good athletes (Webster, Lakes).  And then we have a guy like Lat who is a decent shooter and a decent athletes (but not great by any means), but otherwise lacks all basic basketball skills.  And Teddy, well, he is just Teddy (not a great athlete and really struggles with the mental game).

I really hoped a guy like Lakes could add that shooting dimension, but the B1G is proving you have to have a certain level of athleticism or you become unplayable.  Without that athleticism, Lakes can't defend sufficient, and can't even get open long enough to get his shot off.  Kobe is similar, he is just outmatched athletically in this league.  He is not a B1G caliber player. This is not to knock him, I like his grit and effort, but he is not legit B1G talent (too small, not quick enough, not a good passer, not a great shooter, etc). 

Shamiel is a wrecking ball and is actually pretty good finishing at the rim.  But any shot more than 3 feet from the hoop is an abomination, not sure I've ever seen a wing with less touch from the outside.   Other teams know this.  Watch them, they don't guard him at all when he is on the perimeter.  And every time Shamiel  catches it, he pump fakes (to no one), and then shuffles his feet (called for traveling half the time) and bulls his way into the crowded paint area.  Rinse and repeat.  This is the one-dimensional play that won't work.  Can't have a guy who simply cannot and will not shoot on the perimeter, the defense will simply ignore him. 

Yvonne.  Seems like a great kid, works incredibly hard.  But he looks like a kid who never, and I mean never, played any sport of any kind growing up.  At least not with his hands.  Maybe he played soccer, i don't know.  But he has absolutely no feel and touch with this fingertips.  We all know he shoots from his palm, he passes from his palm, he shotputs his shots.  He is shooting 2-16 on free throws in conference!  2-16!!!!  What baffles me is I watched 5 minutes of his highlight film when he was recruited and this was painfully obvious.  How does someone like Hoiberg watch his film and not see this.  This lack of feel with the hands/fingers is simply not something that can be changed/improved very often, and it does not appear Yvonne has even tried.  Due to misses like this, it does make one start to question this staff's ability to evaluate talent.

Banton is a skilled player for his size, but he can't shoot.  He hit a few early in the season, but now is shooting 24% from 3 overall and just 19% in conference.  He is a good player and a solid core piece, but I don't think we have to worry about him going to the NBA anytime soon.  He also isn't a PG.  This team desperately needs a true PG who can distribute and shoot.

I love Trey, love his grit, hustle, effort, and even his gamesmanship (drawing fouls, etc).  Great athlete, but unfortunately, he is just not a naturally skilled basketball player.  He is an athlete playing basketball.  He can get incrementally better, and he definitely is a keeper, but he mostly is what he is--an inefficient grinder who will never be a great passer or shooter.  Although his 3-point percentage is good, it is on low volume, especially in conference where he has shot only 13 threes in 8 games, and you can see he is hesitant to pull the trigger, resulting in him constantly driving the lane.  So many people say all we have to do is "love the rim".  Well, I think we all saw what can happen when a bunch of players who can't shoot just "love the rim" all game.  It wasn't pretty.

Andre.  Although he hasn't done much this year, I really like Andre. He is a definite bright spot in my book.  He already has much better feel, touch and skill than either Yvonne or Walker.  And he hasn't even been playing the game that long.  Great length and very good athleticism.  Good timing.  He could eventually be the big man we need, but he needs to put on weight.  That will be the determining factor, can he bulk up enough.

As to next year, Bryce McGowens is exactly the type of player we need.  A three dimensional player, a three level scorer, passer defender.  He has the whole package.  But, he is slender and will just be a freshman. I don't think it is fair to expect him to come in as a skinny freshman and tear up the B1G. 

I hope upon hope I am wrong, but I don't see much contribution next year coming from either Keisei or Breidenbach.  I have already posted my thoughts about Breidenbach, and his lack of size and athleticism, so I won't repeat here other than to say this goes back to my initial point.  He appears to me to be a one-dimensional player--very skilled, but poor athlete.  I just don't see it working in the B1G, especially not his first couple of years (and who knows if he will last all 4 years, does anyone?).  Keisie is the same things--very skilled shooter, but lacks athleticism and size.  Yet another one-dimensional player.  I don't think he will be able to get his shot off consistently in the B1G, and he will get destroyed on the defensive end.  I recently checked his juco stats and they have only played a couple games but his numbers were very pedestrian and he didn't even start at least one of the games. 

Fred made a mistake in thinking he could bring in 2 coaches that only coach and don't recruit.  He has relied almost exclusively on Matt A. to do all the recruiting.  This simply isn't working.  Fred is going to have to make some tough decisions in the offseason and most likely have to bring in 1 or 2 more ace recruiters to up the talent.  It is that simple.  Nebraska has a talent problem.  Upgrade the talent, and upgrade the wins.  With that said, it is so disappointing seeing his complete inability to recruit the talent right here in our own state.  As someone who watched Danny Nee lock up the state at a time of great Nebraska talent, it is a shame to see player after player in our home state go to other schools when if they simply all cam together here at NU, along with Bryce, Banton, Andre and Trey, could have a great, and I mean great, team.  Danny did it.  Why can't Fred?

Edited by NUdiehard

1 hour ago, HB said:

Yeah, I definitely lack youth.   But that was mostly "emo twitter".   I have no idea what that is.   I vaguely heard of the Star Trek thing, but perhaps not being able to connect it to a message on the original post is a denseness problem in addition to age. 

image.png

Actually, contrary to popular belief, Nee's teams had few Nebraskans.  Here is most of the list during Nee's run.

King

Chubbick

Badgett

Strickland 

Markowski

Woolridge

Outside of Woolridge and Strickland, Nebraska didn't have much competition from other schools. 

Edited by brfrad

Excellent post, NU Diehard.   Nailed it on all fronts.   As to anyone watching Yvan's film, and not seeing the obvious:  Makes one wonder if Fred really watched it, vs. just letting Matt A. do Matt A.?    I mean, it is indeed troubling wondering who and how did our coaches think some of these guys could play at this level?  

Bmac

Tmac

Teddy

Banton

Lat

^^^ that could be a pretty formidable group.   Once you add a 5* PG, suddenly those other pieces start looking real nice as complements.  

The problem with our team right now is we have no consistent, reliable scorer.  That’s BMac.  All day.  That’s what he does.  Teddy is close, but he can’t sniff JPJ or Petteway (and those dudes played D too).  BMac will give us that dimension.  

The nice thing about Keisei and Wilhelm is they can shoot.  Right now, we have zero players off the bench who are a threat to score at all.  I’m a believer in Keisei based on what I’ve seen—he’s plenty athletic and has in-game dunks at 6’1”.  The kid has good instincts and moves fantastic without the ball.  We don’t have a player like him on the roster.  I agree that he will likely be a liability on D.  

Wilhelm is fairly athletic but needs some weight.  That said, he is highly skilled—way more than any big we currently have, especially as a passer, and he can stretch the floor.  I think he’ll be about as good as Lat. 

In a 5-out system, next season you could field as an option:

BMac (3pt)

Keisei (3pt)

Teddy (streaky 3pt)

Lat (3pt)

Wilhelm (3pt) 

There could be times where this is a really good lineup to roll out because Bmac can do whatever with 4 other guys spacing the floor.  This was the Lebron model in Cleveland.  Every play—I’ll drive and score/get fouled or I’ll kick it out.  You can do the same thing with Banton or Trey at PG.  It’s easy to be skeptical about something that hasn’t been possible to do yet, but I think those options are what the young pups are going to bring to our roster.   Options are the biggest luxury a coach can have.  

I understand this year is beyond frustrating and a disappointing but man we trashing the staff already? Not a good year to have to mesh a new team together with limited practice time and players who have sat out 1-2 years without playing a game. I was expecting more too but trying to be realistic.

You guys realize Fred has not even been here 2 years right. The first year it was a miracle to get that many kids signed. There just were not that many kids available especially bigs so you take chances like Yvan. They were also already behind on this years class too which has been a disappointment. This coming class IMO is the first one they have had legit time to build relationships and recruit. So I will be judging them when I see the skill these kids have. On paper it looks great so hopefully they live up to the hype.

I also don’t understand the negativity on Breidenbach. Seems kind of glass 3/4 empty to be dumping on a top 20 recruiting class before they are even on campus. He is a top 100 kid with good size and skill. We lack skill so I think he will contribute right away. Guess when I see his offers and Fred’s opinion of him that basketball people really like him so I’ll trust them over random fans.

Also the comment on keeping Nebraska kids is odd. We have historically not kept the nationally ranked local kids outside of Woolridge (who left ASAP), Strickland and Hoppen. We have gotten some great lower ranked kids who did great for us but in general the 4/5 stars have always left. We will not keep those till we start winning consistently.

We definitely have needs, I would like to see a true PG who can shoot and another shooter added for next year. Trying to be patient as Fred is a proven top line coach.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, aphilso1 said:

OK, how about Tom Allen then?  He's putting up 39% from three and 80% FT in the ACC.  Not as good as I would have expected, but still would be an adrenaline shot for our anemic offense.

N.C. State is my second favorite team as I went to grad school there and still live in NC, so I watch them quite a bit.  Allen is a decent complimentary player.  He definitely is not a focal point of the team offensively and is rarely noticeable (which can be a good thing, as well, as he doesn't do stupid or bad things often, either).

Would I like him on the Nebraska roster.  Sure.  But IMHO, I don't think he would have a significant impact on the debacle we have witnessed this year.

33 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Bmac

Tmac

Teddy

Banton

Lat

^^^ that could be a pretty formidable group.   Once you add a 5* PG, suddenly those other pieces start looking real nice as complements.  

The problem with our team right now is we have no consistent, reliable scorer.  That’s BMac.  All day.  That’s what he does.  Teddy is close, but he can’t sniff JPJ or Petteway (and those dudes played D too).  BMac will give us that dimension.  

The nice thing about Keisei and Wilhelm is they can shoot.  Right now, we have zero players off the bench who are a threat to score at all.  I’m a believer in Keisei based on what I’ve seen—he’s plenty athletic and has in-game dunks at 6’1”.  The kid has good instincts and moves fantastic without the ball.  We don’t have a player like him on the roster.  I agree that he will likely be a liability on D.  

Wilhelm is fairly athletic but needs some weight.  That said, he is highly skilled—way more than any big we currently have, especially as a passer, and he can stretch the floor.  I think he’ll be about as good as Lat. 

In a 5-out system, next season you could field as an option:

BMac (3pt)

Keisei (3pt)

Teddy (streaky 3pt)

Lat (3pt)

Wilhelm (3pt) 

There could be times where this is a really good lineup to roll out because Bmac can do whatever with 4 other guys spacing the floor.  This was the Lebron model in Cleveland.  Every play—I’ll drive and score/get fouled or I’ll kick it out.  You can do the same thing with Banton or Trey at PG.  It’s easy to be skeptical about something that hasn’t been possible to do yet, but I think those options are what the young pups are going to bring to our roster.   Options are the biggest luxury a coach can have.  

Well meaning, but delusionally optimistic.     Who guards the post in the Big 10 in either lineup?  Does defense in the Big not matter?   Oh yeah, but 5-out.   Let me know when that wins consistently in this league; when it happens I will stand down and salute.  And no true point guard (I guess you're saying Bryce is, will be interesting to see)?   Yeah, that's going well.   In the first, there is one shooter, maybe 2.  In the second, maybe 3 if the newbies can actually shoot consistently (let's just say a lot of people thought we had more shooters' coming in this year than we did; see recent post by Padilla on Bryce shooting stats).    Problem is every year people look at some highlight clips, and think the new guys are all that.   Well, I hope you're right, and I'm just the old board curmudgeon.  

42 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I understand this year is beyond frustrating and a disappointing but man we trashing the staff already? Not a good year to have to mesh a new team together with limited practice time and players who have sat out 1-2 years without playing a game. I was expecting more too but trying to be realistic.

You guys realize Fred has not even been here 2 years right. The first year it was a miracle to get that many kids signed. There just were not that many kids available especially bigs so you take chances like Yvan. They were also already behind on this years class too which has been a disappointment. This coming class IMO is the first one they have had legit time to build relationships and recruit. So I will be judging them when I see the skill these kids have. On paper it looks great so hopefully they live up to the hype.

I also don’t understand the negativity on Breidenbach. Seems kind of glass 3/4 empty to be dumping on a top 20 recruiting class before they are even on campus. He is a top 100 kid with good size and skill. We lack skill so I think he will contribute right away. Guess when I see his offers and Fred’s opinion of him that basketball people really like him so I’ll trust them over random fans.

Also the comment on keeping Nebraska kids is odd. We have historically not kept the nationally ranked local kids outside of Woolridge (who left ASAP), Strickland and Hoppen. We have gotten some great lower ranked kids who did great for us but in general the 4/5 stars have always left. We will not keep those till we start winning consistently.

We definitely have needs, I would like to see a true PG who can shoot and another shooter added for next year. Trying to be patient as Fred is a proven top line coach.

Nobody has "trashed" the staff.   Raising concerns with the product we have out there is different then trashing.  Diehard's critique is well thought out and articulated, quite respectfully.   I've yet to see anyone say Fred should be fired and not given more time. 

On next year's class I hope you're right.  Not sure it looks great on paper for this team in this league--doesn't add a true big or a true point.  However, the class could grow.  Hoping for the best.

The comment about keeping Nebraska kids isn't that odd.   With Fred's reputation, close proximity to where he grew up, played and coached, and $5 million a year--one would hope any success with local talent wouldn't be chained to past failures.   Nee overcame a past of not winning consistently, it's not crazy to have hoped that Fred's cred could have gotten a guy or 2.  I don't think it's unfair to be somewhat disappointed with the in-state recruiting so far.   

I've said for a while that I think Fred blew it when he hired his first staff.  This is a hard place to get dudes.  He had the budget to go after some bigtime recruiters.   So he gets 2 old guys who don't recruit, retains Gates, who is looking to be a lightweight--what connections does he have and who does he bring in--and has an east coast guy who dominates the transfer market as the only real recruiter.  If the transfers were supposed to lessen the turn-around time for a decimated roster and allow for a quicker fix, well, it isn't looking so good.  Go around the league and see much more effective transfers.  

I think some changes should and will be made in the offseason.   Fred may have to spend more time and attention personally to recruiting.   Need another big-time recruiter on staff.   I'm all for being patient, but we are a long, long way from fielding a competitive team.   It's one thing to need more time to make tournaments, but right now we can't win one damn game.    Hopefully we'll change up some things, and all be happy in a few years.    

37 minutes ago, HB said:

Nobody has "trashed" the staff.   Raising concerns with the product we have out there is different then trashing.  Diehard's critique is well thought out and articulated, quite respectfully.   I've yet to see anyone say Fred should be fired and not given more time. 

On next year's class I hope you're right.  Not sure it looks great on paper for this team in this league--doesn't add a true big or a true point.  However, the class could grow.  Hoping for the best.

The comment about keeping Nebraska kids isn't that odd.   With Fred's reputation, close proximity to where he grew up, played and coached, and $5 million a year--one would hope any success with local talent wouldn't be chained to past failures.   Nee overcame a past of not winning consistently, it's not crazy to have hoped that Fred's cred could have gotten a guy or 2.  I don't think it's unfair to be somewhat disappointed with the in-state recruiting so far.   

I've said for a while that I think Fred blew it when he hired his first staff.  This is a hard place to get dudes.  He had the budget to go after some bigtime recruiters.   So he gets 2 old guys who don't recruit, retains Gates, who is looking to be a lightweight--what connections does he have and who does he bring in--and has an east coast guy who dominates the transfer market as the only real recruiter.  If the transfers were supposed to lessen the turn-around time for a decimated roster and allow for a quicker fix, well, it isn't looking so good.  Go around the league and see much more effective transfers.  

I think some changes should and will be made in the offseason.   Fred may have to spend more time and attention personally to recruiting.   Need another big-time recruiter on staff.   I'm all for being patient, but we are a long, long way from fielding a competitive team.   It's one thing to need more time to make tournaments, but right now we can't win one damn game.    Hopefully we'll change up some things, and all be happy in a few years.    

We must have different meanings of trashed. Calling for some to be fired already is trashing in my book. Also Lutz is not a coach so he can’t recruit. Will agree I hoped Gates would be more involved in recruiting 

If a top 4 class in the big ten and 20th in the country does not look good we are in huge trouble.

If next year is not noticeably better and the freshman don’t look the part I will be more open to the criticism.

Edited by Art Vandalay

25 minutes ago, HB said:

Is McGowens a combo guard or a shooting guard?  Pretty sure he can drive and shoot but no idea on his decision making and how fast he will pick up this Hoiberg offense. I think this offense works with a PG but if Royce White is any indication it will work with a combo guard.

Since we’re counting on Bryce to deliver big things next year, thought I’d see how the 2020 guys in his range are doing (ranked by 247) this year:

21. Bryce Thompson (Kan) 6-5 wing 5.4 ppg, 1.2 ast

22. Walker Kessler (NC) 7-footer 2 ppg, 2 rpg.

23. Jeremy Roach (Duke) 6-1 guard 9.7 ppg, 2.7 ast

24. Sharife Cooper (Auburn) 6-1 guard 20.2 ppg, 8.7 ast

25. Cameron Thomas (LSU) 6-4 guard 22.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg

26. DJ Steward (Duke) 6-2 guard 13.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg

27. Khristian Lander (Ind) 6-2 guard, 2-2 ppg, 1.1 ast

28. Mark Williams (Duke) 7-0 center, 3.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg

29. Marcus Bagley (ASU) 6-8 forward, 11.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg

Couple of major stars, 4 contributors, 3 with not much impact. Worth noting that the guys with the lower numbers are playing at big time programs. Seems fair to assume Bryce can produce pretty good numbers as a freshman since it will be easy for him to get on the floor here.

4 hours ago, brfrad said:

Actually, contrary to popular belief, Nee's teams had few Nebraskans.  Here is most of the list during Nee's run.

King

Chubbick

Badgett

Strickland 

Markowski

Woolridge

Outside of Woolridge and Strickland, Nebraska didn't have much competition from other schools. 

This is why I specifically qualified my statement by saying "Danny Nee lock up the state at a time of great Nebraska talent"  Almost all those players were during the early 90s , and Nee got them all.  After them, the state went through a stretch where there was very little talent.  Collier tried to take some Nebraska kids, but they were not very talented and it backfired.  I am not interested in taking every mid-major Nebraska kid, but when we have multiple 4* and 5* and guys who are going to Wisconsin, Creighton, Oklahoma State and various blue bloods, all around the same few years, Fred needs to make some inroads on those guys.  Whatever it takes.  One has to wonder whether taking Teddy hurt his chances with the others.  Is Fred courting the Nebraska HS coaches, getting in their good graces?  Every action has a reaction. Every decision must be made with the longest view in the room.  How does it advantage us and disadvantage us going forward. 

With all this said, for whatever it is worth, I am still 100% all-aboard the Hoiberg train.  I am not in any way, shape or form wanting to move on from him.  He is the "golden boy" hire and I am prepared to sink or swim with him 100%.  Even after losing 25 straight, If I could force him to sign a 10-year contract in which he couldn't leave and couldn't be fired (meaning he would have to be here the next 10 years no matter what his record), i would do it in a second.  Honestly, if Fred can't pull this off here, then it may just be time to pack it in.  Some of us have been doing this groundhog day for far too long.  I believe Fred can do it, I am just commenting on my observations on the current roster, the current recruits and his current staff.  And again, I hope I am wrong about Keisei and Breidenbach, I really do.  But if not, then there are going to have to be a few more spots open up and Fred is going to have to bring in a few legit difference maker transfers (ie, Point Guard) if Nebraska is going to compete next year in the B1G.

Edited by NUdiehard