Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

6’9 isn’t that tall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We may list him at that height, but I don't I've ever heard it's a legit listing.  I've heard more like 6'7", which isn't tall for a D-1 post player.

We may list him at that height, but I don't I've ever heard it's a legit listing.  I've heard more like 6'7", which isn't tall for a D-1 post player.

Everyone’s heights are fabricated, so it all works out. He isn’t the tallest 5 in the league but he isn’t really what I would consider short either.

When I made the comment about being tall it was in relation to normal folk.

14 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Everyone’s heights are fabricated, so it all works out. He isn’t the tallest 5 in the league but he isn’t really what I would consider short either.

When I made the comment about being tall it was in relation to normal folk.

Yvan's wingspan and the fact that he plays below the rim are more problematic than his actual height. Add to that his lack of touch, coordination and suspect hands and footwork and it's pretty clear why an unpolished Eduardo has already passed him up. Seems like people reference Yvan's "potential" only because of his relatively young age, but this is silly imo. There are thousands of 6'8"  18 year olds with all of the characteristics listed above. I like Yvan's work ethic and maturity, and would love for him to stick around and be the third big on the roster, but I doubt he's ok with that. Probably best he moves on. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Yvan's wingspan and the fact that he plays below the rim are more problematic than his actual height. Add to that his lack of touch, coordination and suspect hands and footwork and it's pretty clear why an unpolished Eduardo has already passed him up. Seems like people reference Yvan's "potential" only because of his relatively young age, but this is silly imo. There are thousands of 6'8"  18 year olds with all of the characteristics listed above. I like Yvan's work ethic and maturity, and would love for him to stick around and be the third big on the roster, but I doubt he's ok with that. Probably best he moves on. 

Agree 100% with all of this.  He has serious shortcomings in his game that that give him a relatively low ceiling, despite the fact that he is young.  But I too would like to see him return for as long as he wants to be here.  Mature, hard working kids have a tendency to make players around them better.

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Agree 100% with all of this.  He has serious shortcomings in his game that that give him a relatively low ceiling, despite the fact that he is young.  But I too would like to see him return for as long as he wants to be here.  Mature, hard working kids have a tendency to make players around them better.

I disagree. Scholarships are precious, and what exactly is Yvan's role on next year's team? He would effectively become the #4 big behind Walker, Andre and Breidenbach. I believe Fred probably would rather have Breidenbach come in at the five if necessary instead of Ouedraogo, who is incredibly limited offensively.

I'm sure there are some match-ups against big physical centers where maybe Yvan would get the nod, but his upside is minimal, and he's a black hole offensively. He seems like a great kid, but I've never seen someone struggle so badly to put a round ball in a basket from point-blank range.

Breidenbach likely won't defend as well as Yvan, but I really don't see Yvan getting significant minutes next year, and I'd much rather use his scholarship on a player who can see the court and contribute.

7 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I disagree. Scholarships are precious, and what exactly is Yvan's role on next year's team? He would effectively become the #4 big behind Walker, Andre and Breidenbach. I believe Fred probably would rather have Breidenbach come in at the five if necessary instead of Ouedraogo, who is incredibly limited offensively.

I'm sure there are some match-ups against big physical centers where maybe Yvan would get the nod, but his upside is minimal, and he's a black hole offensively. He seems like a great kid, but I've never seen someone struggle so badly to put a round ball in a basket from point-blank range.

Breidenbach likely won't defend as well as Yvan, but I really don't see Yvan getting significant minutes next year, and I'd much rather use his scholarship on a player who can see the court and contribute.

Agree and if anything, if Yvan does leave, we should use his scholarship on either a true PG or sit out transfer as I suspect either Thor or Kobe come back, if not both.  I'm sure there will be additional attrition but the way it's looking, we are going to have a lot of capable bodies jockeying for playing time and having at least one sit out guy, would not be the end of the world.

Which of our current players would make 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All Big Ten?  

So, who is our best player?

Our best teammate?

Our best defensive player?

Our best offensive player?

Our best rebounder?

Our best passer/assist player?

Our player who has only touched the surface of his ability?

Now in those categories, would any of our players rate in the top five in the conference in their category?  Be honest, where do our players rate?  I think we have a couple who may fit...maybe.

Once you do that, then ask which players would really upset you IF they left.

I want to play for championships.  We need the Jimmies and Joe's to do so.

Edited by Huskerpapa

55 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Our best teammate?

Our best rebounder?

Now in those categories, would any of our players rate in the top five in the conference in their category?  Be honest, where do our players rate?  I think we have a couple who may fit...maybe.

Hard to win without All Conference caliber players. 

Best player?   ?

Best Teammate? Thor

Best Defensive Player? Trey

Best Offensive Player?  ?

Best Rebounder? Banton

Best passer/assist player? Thor

Player who has touched the surface of his ability? Andre

None are All League caliber though I think Trey should be at least Honorable Mention next season.

Edited by Cazzie22
Additional comment

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Our best teammate?

Our best rebounder?

Trey could be an all conference defensive pick next year.

Banton has only touched the surface of his ability, especially as a passer.  Same with Andre.  

Thor is our best passer.  I think Kobe is the best teammate based on his bench enthusiasm.  

Walker is our best big.  Not sure who our best rebounder is—might be Banton actually.  Probably Yvan.  

——

We have a newcomer of the year candidate coming in next season who will also be our best offensive player.  I believe he’ll have a chance to be all conference (3rd team).  

Breidenbach will have a chance to be our best passer next season.  

Here’s where everything changes.  Who will be our best shooter next season?  My prediction:

1. Tominaga

2. Bryce

3. Lat

4. A transfer at the 3

5. Breidenbach 

6. A transfer PG

7. Lakes

8. (Kobe)

9. Trey

10. (Thor)

11. Banton

12. Shamiel

13. Walker

14. Andre

15. Yvan

Obviously not everyone is on the roster, but I predict Lat will be the only current player that cracks the top 6 shooters.  That’s what’s missing.  When we shoot well from distance we find ourselves in a paradigm shift. 

19 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Obviously not everyone is on the roster, but I predict Lat will be the only current player that cracks the top 6 shooters.  That’s what’s missing.  When we shoot well from distance we find ourselves in a paradigm shift. 

By what shooting metric?  3p makes, 3p% or eFG%?

I know Lakes only shot .333 this year but I think he will be much higher next year.   I think he easily cracks the top 6 in 3pt %.   Not sure how much playing time he will get though and how many shots he takes. 

Until we have a final roster, it's like spitting in the wind.   

Edited by REDitus

49 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Trey could be an all conference defensive pick next year.

Banton has only touched the surface of his ability, especially as a passer.  Same with Andre.  

Thor is our best passer.  I think Kobe is the best teammate based on his bench enthusiasm.  

Walker is our best big.  Not sure who our best rebounder is—might be Banton actually.  Probably Yvan.  

——

We have a newcomer of the year candidate coming in next season who will also be our best offensive player.  I believe he’ll have a chance to be all conference (3rd team).  

Breidenbach will have a chance to be our best passer next season.  

Here’s where everything changes.  Who will be our best shooter next season?  My prediction:

1. Tominaga

2. Bryce

3. Lat

4. A transfer at the 3

5. Breidenbach 

6. A transfer PG

7. Lakes

8. (Kobe)

9. Trey

10. (Thor)

11. Banton

12. Shamiel

13. Walker

14. Andre

15. Yvan

Breidenbach isn't a better shooter than Lakes, Kobe, or Thor.  I'd probably put Trey over him too.  He's good for a high school big man...but if he's a top 5 shooter for us next year then we are really in trouble.

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

By what shooting metric?  3p makes, 3p% or eFG%?

Good question.  I'd say makes.  That's why Breidenbach is up there.  He has more height with probably a bit more speed than Lakes.  I think the top three are fairly interchangeable in terms of makes depending on how much PT Tominaga gets.  I might be wrong, but I'm higher on the kid than most.  

My overall point, though, is that we aren't lacking that much in talent this season--we just don't have shooters.  Next season, we aren't going to have that problem.  It will be more about finding effective situational rotations.  Regardless, we should be able to always have legit shooters on the court.  Right now, we have Lat.  Everyone else is streaky at best.  

42 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Right now, we have Lat.  Everyone else is streaky at best.  

If we're just talking about 3pt makes, Kobe and Teddy were there and Trey is a secondary guy. They're all shooting slightly better than Lat from outside for the season.  Converting at the rim seems more of the issue for this team.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Here are season percentages, according to Huskers.com:

Kobe   .389 from the floor and .393 from three

Teddy .449 from the floor and .376 from three

Trey    .387 from the floor and .373 from three

Lat      .401 from the floor and .356 from three

I'm not sure why Teddy was brought up since it isn't even on the current roster, but I'm looking at it more in terms of makes and matchups next season. 

How about this for criteria (sorry for moving the goalposts.. I'm still trying to get my language correct): to me, if you draw the defense out to guard your three and the lane opens up as a result, you're a more valuable shooter than someone who doesn't and might have a slightly higher percentage.  I do not think Kobe or Trey are more valuable shooters than Lat, for example, despite having higher percentages.  A big who can shoot 3s is almost always a more valuable shooter than the 1-3 who are supposed to make 3s because they open up the lanes for everyone else.  That's why I'm high on Breidenbach.  I believe he'll be more valuable as a shooter than the guards at the 1-2 you mentioned, not to mention Thor who shot like 25% from 3 playing the 3-4 this year.  

As for conversions at the rim, that's exactly why I think better perimeter shooting is important.  If the defense is spread out, we've got plenty of guys who can get to the rim and finish if the help is late.  Right now, the lane is clogged because no one has to chase Walker/Andre/Yvan beyond the free throw line.  We have zero pick and pop game so it's way easier to defend the P&R.  

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

if you draw the defense out to guard your three and the lane opens up as a result, you're a more valuable shooter than someone who doesn't and might have a slightly higher percentage.  I do not think Kobe or Trey are more valuable shooters than Lat, for example, despite having higher percentages.  A big who can shoot 3s is almost always a more valuable shooter than the 1-3 who are supposed to make 3s because they open up the lanes for everyone else.  That's why I'm high on Breidenbach.  

So you think a guy that can’t create his own shot or create for others is more valuable shooting wise than the guys that both create there own shots and shots for others? Maybe not so much for Webster but for trey most of his shots are w the ball in his hands or results of players ducking screens where as most of Lats shots are set shots to. 

11 hours ago, LK1 said:Here’s where everything changes.  Who will be our best shooter next season?  My prediction:

1. Tominaga

2. Bryce

3. Lat

4. A transfer at the 3

5. Breidenbach 

6. A transfer PG

7. Lakes

8. (Kobe)

9. Trey

10. (Thor)

11. Banton

12. Shamiel

13. Walker

14. Andre

15. Yvan

I’m not sure if this is incredibly optimistic about the newcomers or incredibly pessimistic about our current players, but I don’t see anyway they Lat is the only player that is on the top 6 best shooters on the team next year.

It has shown year after year that the best players in the big ten are those who have done it before. I have already seen our team shoot much much better the last half of the season, and that is all about ball movement and getting open shots, rather than individual shooting ability changing. I would be shocked if Trey isn’t in the top 6, and if Kobe and Thor come back, they are also both looking to be very serviceable shot makers.

As for the new guys who have already signed; if they are that good then I will gladly eat crow. I know Bryce is a baller, and he very well may be that good. The other two have some ability, but I think there will absolutely be a huge learning curve next year. I think all can prove valuable next year, but I don’t think we can reasonably expect all 3 of these guys to come in and start shooting lights out as freshmen.

Lastly, if we can get two transfers that are even better shooters than what we have right now good for Matt and Fred, but I just don’t see it happening, especially after looking at our record these last two years.

4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

So you think a guy that can’t create his own shot or create for others is more valuable shooting wise than the guys that both create there own shots and shots for others? Maybe not so much for Webster but for trey most of his shots are w the ball in his hands or results of players ducking screens where as most of Lats shots are set shots to. 

They are more valuable given what we already have on the roster, yes.  For Banton and Trey, they are going to become way more effective with their slashing skill set if the lane is open and they have multiple dangerous guys to kick to.  I think both of them will score more points next season just because of spacing. 

4 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

I’m not sure if this is incredibly optimistic about the newcomers or incredibly pessimistic about our current players, but I don’t see anyway they Lat is the only player that is on the top 6 best shooters on the team next year.

It has shown year after year that the best players in the big ten are those who have done it before. I have already seen our team shoot much much better the last half of the season, and that is all about ball movement and getting open shots, rather than individual shooting ability changing. I would be shocked if Trey isn’t in the top 6, and if Kobe and Thor come back, they are also both looking to be very serviceable shot makers.

As for the new guys who have already signed; if they are that good then I will gladly eat crow. I know Bryce is a baller, and he very well may be that good. The other two have some ability, but I think there will absolutely be a huge learning curve next year. I think all can prove valuable next year, but I don’t think we can reasonably expect all 3 of these guys to come in and start shooting lights out as freshmen.

Lastly, if we can get two transfers that are even better shooters than what we have right now good for Matt and Fred, but I just don’t see it happening, especially after looking at our record these last two years.

To be clear, shooting well doesn’t equal better overall player, but Bryce and Tominaga (just went 11/16 from 3 and followed it up with a 7/7 game) are known shooters.  I don’t think they’ll be scared to pull the trigger.  Tominaga and Breidenbach simply give us options if we want to space the court or bust a zone.  All three guys give us a different look than we can get now because of their shooting.  That’s why they are more valuable as shooters for what we need next season.

I’m not pessimistic at all.  The OP was talking about lack of talent.  I only think we’re missing bonafide shooters.  There are games where we’ll need 5 3pt threats on the court and now we can actually do that.  I live the talent we’re bringing back.  The incoming shooters will be valuable complements.   

Trey 

Keisei 

Bryce

Lat

Breidenbach 

^^^ that’s an interesting lineup to me.  Not necessarily as starters, but an interesting option.  

Edited by LK1

5 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I will be very interested to see what we do at the starting 4 spot next year. Would guess one of or both Stevenson or Lat will not be here next season 

when asked about the ‘core’ coming back, Fred mentioned Lat. I assume he is welcome back. When asked why Stevenson didn’t play he basically said Trevor made shots and gave effort. Two things that shamiel doesn’t do. Would be shocked if he’s back. 

Given that we got out-rebounded 43-27 in the last game and Yvan and Stevenson didn't get any minutes and barely any minutes in the previous game, I'd say that's a pretty clear message that Hoiberg is not going to invest anymore time in those players.   It's unfortunate but it is what it is.   I would like to see all the players succeed but obviously the coaches don't believe there's enough progress there. 

We should start a poll.   How many open scholarships will Nebraska have by the end of the month? 

Edited by REDitus