Next seasons players

Bugeaters1

22 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Agreed but outside of maybe cross I don’t think we lost much off last years so it’s hard to judge..  just hope Mcgowens makes it here...  

And who should have been kept off Miles last roster? Miles was heading in to a major rebuild himself. The prized recruit that season is averaging 1 PPG this season at Pacific. There is a reason what was left of Miles roster none of them ended up at power 5 schools. And some are really struggling at mid major schools...check Brady Heiman and Karrington Davis. Nana is about the only productive player and even he’s shooting under 40%. 

This was/is a major rebuild and a crappy time to go thru it to boot with Covid. We need to hit some home runs and fast. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

19 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

And who should have been kept off Miles last roster? Miles was heading in to a major rebuild himself. The prized recruit that season is averaging 1 PPG this season at Pacific. There is a reason what was left of Miles roster none of them ended up at power 5 schools. And some are really struggling at mid major schools...check Brady Heiman and Karrington Davis. Nana is about the only productive player and even he’s shooting under 40%. 

This was/is a major rebuild and a crappy time to go thru it to boot with Covid. We need to hit some home runs and fast. 

Not saying Miles shouldn’t have been fired. He had his chance. That being said tho in his defense we lost Dre Davis (8.5 PPG, 3.4 rebounds and has started every game at Louisville as a freshman) and Mika Adams-Woods (7.3 PPG, started majority of games last 2 years at Cincy). We had some decent players ready to come into Lincoln. 

8 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Not saying Miles shouldn’t have been fired. He had his chance. That being said tho in his defense we lost Dre Davis (8.5 PPG, 3.4 rebounds and has started every game at Louisville as a freshman) and Mika Adams-Woods (7.3 PPG, started majority of games last 2 years at Cincy). We had some decent players ready to come into Lincoln. 

Highly doubtful Davis was coming here once he started landing offers from much better basketball programs. Mika Adams Woods is shooting 34% this year and 28% from 3PT. 

8 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Xavier Johnson would probably be here, too. 

Do you mean Donovan Williams? Who by the way hasn’t scored in his collegiate career thus far. I will be highly surprised if he’s still at Oklahoma St next year. 

Perhaps they would have been better had they stayed or Miles was retained but the options were not great based on what they have done post Nebraska. We were always headed towards a major rebuild. Hoiberg needs to find some shooters and a legit big man ASAP. 

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's funny that there is some perception that the problem with Tim Miles was that he wouldn't be able to recruit guys or that he's even brought up in this thread in the first place

People will bring him up cause of he recent success here in getting to the tournament and having a couple other good seasons.  I think Miles was good and seemed like a fit here cause of his enthusiasm, but he hit his ceiling.  For the most part he got the most out of his talent or lesser talented players but couldnt land the players needed or keep the ones that may have helped turn the corner.  Right now it seems like there are pieces but need to click together and play within the system if this team wants to win games.

50 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's funny that there is some perception that the problem with Tim Miles was that he wouldn't be able to recruit guys or that he's even brought up in this thread in the first place

Are we going to act like Miles left the roster in good shape and it’s not part of the reason why Hoiberg had to turn over the roster...aka the point of this thread? And that’s not even a knock on Miles, his last year he built a senior laden team and it didn’t work out. 

It’s not a Miles issue now but the fact remains this was a major rebuild no matter who the coach was in 2019. The players that were let go aren’t even productive in mid major conferences. It’s on Hoiberg now to upgrade the roster. Looks like he already has had a few swing and misses. 

Every team will have attrition of some sort every year, and we have to have at least one guy leave in order to meet scholarship limits. There will probably be 2-3 more after that. ESPECIALLY once the one time transfer rule gets passed. It's just the reality. I have an idea of who but a lot will depend on how guys close the year. 

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Are we going to act like Miles left the roster in good shape and it’s not part of the reason why Hoiberg had to turn over the roster...aka the point of this thread? And that’s not even a knock on Miles, his last year he built a senior laden team and it didn’t work out. 

It’s not a Miles issue now but the fact remains this was a major rebuild no matter who the coach was in 2019. The players that were let go aren’t even productive in mid major conferences. It’s on Hoiberg now to upgrade the roster. Looks like he already has had a few swing and misses. 

One way to look at it is that it's Miles fault if he has to keep guys or it's Miles fault that he had to get rid of guys or Miles fault that he had to fly out to re-recruit Jervay Green.  Seems like Hoiberg was given the freedom to remake our roster in any way he saw fit which he did. I get why he flipped it. I get why it got flipped again.  I'll get if we flip it again this season. In the future we might win 20+ games and still it will be flipped. Hoiberg has been churning through rosters his entire time as a college coach and in the past has been successful in doing so.  That's why it's so meaningless to bring up the guys that Miles recruited that transferred out; Hoiberg's SOP is roster churn.

Hey man, it takes a while to build relationships and this is a buzzsaw of a league.  Hoiberg didn't catch lightning in a bottle and needs more time. He will have close to infinite time with Moos as AD. If it's not all on him already, it certainly is to start year 3.

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

One way to look at it is that it's Miles fault if he has to keep guys or it's Miles fault that he had to get rid of guys or Miles fault that he had to fly out to re-recruit Jervay Green.  Seems like Hoiberg was given the freedom to remake our roster in any way he saw fit which he did. I get why he flipped it. I get why it got flipped again.  I'll get if we flip it again this season. In the future we might win 20+ games and still it will be flipped. Hoiberg has been churning through rosters his entire time as a college coach and in the past has been successful in doing so.  That's why it's so meaningless to bring up the guys that Miles recruited that transferred out; Hoiberg's SOP is roster churn.

Hey man, it takes a while to build relationships and this is a buzzsaw of a league.  Hoiberg didn't catch lightning in a bottle and needs more time. He will have close to infinite time with Moos as AD. If it's not all on him already, it certainly is to start year 3.

Yeah I’m not trying to blame Miles because this is Hoiberg’s baby now but I would agree that I understand the roster churn. If we are in this same position this time next year I will have some serious concerns. Hopefully the core group remains and Hoiberg and company get a full off season with them. 

His rebuild at Iowa St was not near as daunting. Having guys like Royce White and Melvin Ejim on your roster year 1 helps.  Things clicked in year 2 there. We can only hope it does so for us in year 3. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Do you mean Donovan Williams? Who by the way hasn’t scored in his collegiate career thus far. I will be highly surprised if he’s still at Oklahoma St next year. 

Perhaps they would have been better had they stayed or Miles was retained but the options were not great based on what they have done post Nebraska. We were always headed towards a major rebuild. Hoiberg needs to find some shooters and a legit big man ASAP. 

No, I meant Xavier.  Just got my years mixed up.

5 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah I’m not trying to blame Miles because this is Hoiberg’s baby now but I would agree that I understand the roster churn. If we are in this same position this time next year I will have some serious concerns. Hopefully the core group remains and Hoiberg and company get a full off season with them. 

His rebuild at Iowa St was not near as daunting. Having guys like Royce White and Melvin Ejim on your roster year 1 helps.  Things clicked in year 2 there. We can only hope it does so for us in year 3. 

Players with eligibility :

Roby

Allen

Nana

Heiman

Harris

Thoir

K Davis

Castello

Trueblood

Burke

Players committed to Miles :

Adams-Woods

D Davis

Green

Arop

It was going to be a rough year regardless of who is the coach, especially if Roby goes pro like I think he would.  Nana would leave as him and Miles seemed to split.  I think we are playing on the first day in the Big 10 tournament.  We have a decent trio of players (Allen, Mika-Woods, Green).  If by some miracle Miles talks Roby into staying we might finish not playing the first day of the Big 10 tournament.

The most important need for Hoiberg this off-season is to keep a solid group to build on.  I think must keeps are Banton, Walker, Trey, Lat, and Andre.  That is 46 % of our scoring.  I would like to keep Yvan, but don't see keeping him as a must.  I think we can't keep losing 80 - 90% of our scoring, and think we are going to go where we want to go.  We need some idea of continuity.  When Hoiberg was at Iowa State, he returned 25 % of scoring the 1st year (3 - 13 in conference), and 38 % the 2nd year (12 - 6 in conference).  At Nebraska, he returned 2 % of scoring (2 - 18 in conference), and 21 % of scoring his 2nd year. (0 - 7 thus far).  

4 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

I predict these players will not be on the team next season:

Akol Arop

Elijah Woods

Teddy Allen

Shamiel Stevenson

We will add at least two transfers this spring.  We will have one/two open scholarships.

Drago’s minutes down the stretch will be interesting. It seems Hoiberg has been reluctant to play Andre but his hand was forced last night because no surprise Drago was brutal on the offensive end.

I don’t think we need Andre/Drago/Walker on the roster next year. And have to think Drago is the odd man out.

4 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

I predict these players will not be on the team next season:

Akol Arop

Elijah Woods

Teddy Allen

Shamiel Stevenson

We will add at least two transfers this spring.  We will have one/two open scholarships.

Holy crap i forgot about Woods.  Either way you need to keep a core group and get stsrt getting freshman and develop.  I domt thing turning over the roster every year is something that will work in the big 10