PENN STATE game thread 2-3-21

redsteve

Sorry, posted this a day early...but...anyway....

This game is at Penn St, and it might well be a competitive game on their floor.  They're a mid pack B1G team that can play well at any given time.

Issie has returned to practice this week and may play, so that's good news.

Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-5, 7-4 Big Ten)
at Penn State Lady Lions (6-7, 3-6 Big Ten)
Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021, 5 p.m. (CT)
Bryce Jordan Center - University Park, Pa.

Live Video: B1G Network+ 
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (4:45 p.m.)

Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (B107.3 FM & 1400 AM KLIN), Omaha (ESPN 590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

The Nebraska women's basketball team takes aim at its third straight Big Ten road win when the Huskers travel to University Park to face Penn State on Thursday. Tip-off between the Big Red (9-5, 7-4 Big Ten) and the Lady Lions (6-7, 3-6 Big Ten) at the Bryce Jordan Center is set for 5 p.m. (CT).

Live video will provided to subscribers of Big Ten Network Plus while fans can also follow Nebraska with the Husker Sports Network call of Matt Coatney and Jeff Griesch across the radio network stations, the Huskers App and on Huskers.com.

Edited by redsteve

5 hours ago, Red Don said:

I suspect we'll see Issie sparingly; easing her back into the game flow after missing four games and practice.  Stalwarts have more than shown they could step up to the plate in her absence.

i'll just add it won't surprise me if we don't see Issie till possibly Rutgers. imo, Stewart is adjusting pretty darn well since the beginning of the year. her defense is improving. Still room for improvement, however, getting better.

Man, Brady must have really done a number on her ankle to be out this long. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

The way the teams match up, I think Issie is pretty key.  If Issie doesn't play, it will be a 2 to 3 possession nail biter.  If she does, I think we win pretty easily.  Reason being she is pretty dynamic in terms of ability to score, which will force people  on and off of the blocks.  Forcing them on the blocks free's up our shooters.  Forcing them off gives Sam much more lane to operate, both as driver and a passer.

The other key will be if Miss Scoggins breaks out of her two game shooting slump.  She is a much better shooter than her 0-9 in the last 2 games.

Finally I think Mi'Cole's shot will start to fall.

There is a very good article by Abby Barmore in the OWH on Bella Cravens - she also talks about the three freshmen, Mi'Cole Cayton & Kendall Coley, and the upcoming game with Penn State!

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/grabbing-energy-pills-bella-cravens-exceeding-expectations-for-nebraska-womens-basketball/article_4055185a-664f-11eb-a365-8b60798b81d2.htm?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHbigred

Not to downplay Issie's role, Abby makes some salient points:

While Bourne has missed the past four games with an ankle injury, the Huskers committed to stepping up to fill their second-leading scorer’s place.

“You can really see it, (Annika Stewart), Ruby (Porter), Whitney (Brown), our three freshmen, I feel like they've all stepped up substantially, and I feel like it really shows,” she said.

Cravens also said guard MiCole Cayton, who was recently cleared to play after offseason knee surgery, has elevated the Huskers. “MiCole's presence on the court is an energy pill itself,” Cravens said.

After playing with six to eight available players, NU has added Cayton and early enrollee Kendall Coley, who played her first minutes against Wisconsin.

The Nittany Lions consistently play zone defense, something NU has seen little of this season. Cravens said she is focusing on making adjustments to get to the glass.

“To me, rebounding is really just 90% effort,” Cravens said. “If my shot's not falling, I know that I can always go and rebound. I try to focus on rebounding more than anything.”

Edited by Red Don