Back-to-Back games

Handy Johnson

So glad the B1G is so concerned about athlete wellness & safety that they take a team that had 3 weeks with no team activities and throw them out there for 7 games in 12 days.

Probably the smart thing to do would be to reduce the schedule by a few games rather than force this disaster. 

I get it, though. The B1G f-ed up the football schedule so badly and had so many canceled games that they lost a lot of cash from their TV partners, so they have to give TV the full slate in hoops to try to make up the difference. 

Coach Fred talked on last night's pregame how beat up a few players are already after this condensed attempt to return to play - I'm guessing we'll have a few more walking wounded after playing 5 times in 7 days. Without using the words, he basically said they're having to use load management. If a college team has to use load management in mid-February, it might be a pretty stupid scheduling decision ... especially for a league that has been touting how much it values player safety for the past several months.

Plus they're making us travel to the most difficult place to reach on the planet in State College, PA during this stretch. Hope if we leave Saturday morning we can make it in time for tipoff. Good times.

37 minutes ago, throwback said:

So glad the B1G is so concerned about athlete wellness & safety that they take a team that had 3 weeks with no team activities and throw them out there for 7 games in 12 days.

Probably the smart thing to do would be to reduce the schedule by a few games rather than force this disaster. 

I get it, though. The B1G f-ed up the football schedule so badly and had so many canceled games that they lost a lot of cash from their TV partners, so they have to give TV the full slate in hoops to try to make up the difference. 

Coach Fred talked on last night's pregame how beat up a few players are already after this condensed attempt to return to play - I'm guessing we'll have a few more walking wounded after playing 5 times in 7 days. Without using the words, he basically said they're having to use load management. If a college team has to use load management in mid-February, it might be a pretty stupid scheduling decision ... especially for a league that has been touting how much it values player safety for the past several months.

Plus they're making us travel to the most difficult place to reach on the planet in State College, PA during this stretch. Hope if we leave Saturday morning we can make it in time for tipoff. Good times.

Do you think we could have said no had we wanted to?

48 minutes ago, throwback said:

Wasn't Hoiberg reported saying he's hoping to get all our postponed games rescheduled? If so, there's just not a lot of ways to get that done in this final month. A back-to-back Maryland game makes sense to me.

11 hours ago, throwback said:

I don't know.  If we don't play these games, those are lost opportunities to improve our NCAA resume 😃

Not sure about the players but publicly Hoiberg has been keen on making up these games so I'd say our athletic department is working lockstep with the conference to get it done.  Guys get injured when they're fatigued so hopefully we can avoid major injuries as we navigate this last month.

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

At least we'll be playing to snap the opponent's winning streak tonight instead of helping to break their losing streak. Perhaps that will work. But I am doughtful.

I thought it first I read "droughtful" and it spurred the idea of a new submission to Wester's Dictionary:

Droughtful (adjective) - in basketball, the likelihood of a made field goal at any point over the next four minutes of game action.  Synonyms - Nebrasketball

Edited by Nebrasketball1979

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I thought it first I read "droughtful" and the spurred the idea of a new submission to Wester's Dictionary:

Droughtful (adjective) - in basketball, the likelihood of a made field goal at any point over the next four minutes of game action.  Synonyms - Nebrasketball

Nominated for post-of-the-week, or year...or some relevant time period.  😀

41 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Nominated for post-of-the-week, or year...or some relevant time period.  😀

Just trying to bring a little levity for the droughtful periods we will continue to experience over the rest of the season.  Sometimes booze and nyquil is not enough.

5 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Just trying to bring a little levity for the droughtful periods we will continue to experience over the rest of the season.  Sometimes booze and nyquil is not enough.

I spent a Christmas Eve mixing Jaegermeister & Robitusen which was a really, REALLY bad idea...