MINNESOTA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Poor shooting and poor perimeter defense in the 4th......we got tired?

We did miss Issie today

Mershon looked like a different player...was focused...good for her...

..where was that the last couple of years'

We seem to lose our player/position in transition defense...we leave people wide open.

Edited by redsteve

Was worried about this game, a lot because of the quick turnaround, but also thought they would match up well with us.  We played hard, but couldn't hit shots in 2nd half, particularly in 4th q.  Our good fortune sort of ran out.  Hopefully we shoot much better with a little rest before Monday's game.   GBR!!

Edited by mwm89

If Coley could actually play this year.... that is kind if mind blowing.  She would have to be on another level. 

To be able to blend in immediately with what's going on is another issue.  As we all know, HS to College is a huge change in intensity, focus, and speed of the game. 

Even with Issie and Porter  it took a while for them to get adjusted. They had international play on their resume before getting here.

Can only hope I guess. Would be cool for sure.

23 minutes ago, redsteve said:

If Coley could actually play this year.... that is kind if mind blowing.  She would have to be on another level. 

To be able to blend in immediately with what's going on is another issue.  As we all know, HS to College is a huge change in intensity, focus, and speed of the game. 

Even with Issie and Porter  it took a while for them to get adjusted. They had international play on their resume before getting here.

I wouldnt expect her to play much at all but MInnesota has Borowicz whos an early enrollee as well, been on their team for like 2 weeks and she played a few minutes today. Coley can really shoot the ball so Id expect her to play limited minutes but Id temper expectations for this year.

31 minutes ago, redsteve said:

One Word (two actually)

Whitney Brown  :wink:

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

One Word (two actually)

Whitney Brown  :wink:

Not exactly apples to apples but I get what you're saying there.  Brown has proven to be savvy, confident and has executed at a pretty high level for a freshman- and a walk-on at that.  I bet she has been wanting to demonstrate she was scholarship worthy.  

Due to a family health emergency I had to miss parts of today’s game.  Maybe just having 7 players caught up to us today, particularly on defending threes and making shots late.  The addition of Coley has to help even if for only a few minutes of court time means a few minutes rest for a key player.

14 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Not exactly apples to apples but I get what you're saying there.  Brown has proven to be savvy, confident and has executed at a pretty high level for a freshman- and a walk-on at that.  I bet she has been wanting to demonstrate she was scholarship worthy.  

Whitney had all summer with the team to acclimate.  She is really in control of what's going on...she was directing other players where to go ...Whitney the boss :)   She just has that innate desire to play at her maximum every minute.

Weidner coming in is another "local" from Ne that is somewhat in the mold of a Whitney (but a little bigger).  Very aggressive, very active overall player. Even though she's in lower class in HS....She's also averaging 6.9 rebounds, 6.7 steals and 6.5 assists per game while shooting 58% from the field at 27 pts/game. Whatch out for her.

Edited by redsteve

48 minutes ago, caveman said:

I had two take aways from the game.

1) I think we got up by double digits in the first quarter and took them too lightly in Q2

Over confidence can kill.

2) regarding the poor shooting Q4.  Tired legs lend to poor shooting.  Tired legs need to win at the rim or on the line.

I agree that the 2nd qtr was big on Minnesota getting their confidence but I don't think it was over confidence on our part.  I think it was because Haiby had to sit on the bench after picking up her 2nd foul early.  We missed her defense and especially rebounding.  When she was out for an extended period of time that's when they hit their shots and had a lot of offensive rebounds.  We had two freshmen out there at that time and with Scoggins not much length at the guard.