uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 13; ed 12 - vs. Indiana

uneblinstu

This team is probably 20 points better than last year's team with walker.

And we are still going to struggle for any wins.

I'm not putting that on hoiberg ... there's circumstances this year on so many levels.

Makes you wonder what next year will be like since players get an extra year.

25 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I disagree that it hurts more than it helps offensively.  He’s kept us in games single handedly on that end this year.  

That said, with Walker, this offense moves like it should, which means less iso ball and more wide open Lat threes.  We aren’t going to need any heat check threes from Teddy anymore because the offense works now, but I think he fits the offense really well and made some great plays gong to the rim tonight.  

We may not need to get heat check threes from Teddy, but we all know damn well we’re going to get them in considerable numbers. 

Edited by atskooc

SSDD - Bad

Missed key FT

Watching shot and not boxing out. No excuse for not getting a body on someone.

Poor shoot selection at key times

Missing wide open looks

Not defending the three - yes I know Indiana was not good at it coming into the game but maybe it was because they had a guy defending them that was in the same zip code.

Walker is going to be a huge plus be we still need another big bodied dude.

SSDD good

Walker looks to be the threat down low we've been missing.

Came back from 18 down instead of folding up the tent and going home

If the younger McGowens is even just slightly better than Trey, we are going to be happy.  I like the offense when we run it through McGowens.

It appears Lat may have found his stroke.

13 hours ago, LK1 said:

I disagree that it hurts more than it helps offensively.  He’s kept us in games single handedly on that end this year.  

That said, with Walker, this offense moves like it should, which means less iso ball and more wide open Lat threes.  We aren’t going to need any heat check threes from Teddy anymore because the offense works now, but I think he fits the offense really well and made some great plays gong to the rim tonight.  

I mean, we're 131st nationally in Offensive efficiency with Allen as our leading scorer and leading shot taker from 2pt and from 3pt, with the most turnovers on the team... 

The one thing I did see that I really liked last night, was ironically Allen at the point, especially after missed buckets. Of course, that was because it basically forced the ball out of his hands to start a possession. But he does have a knack for finding open guys on the move in transition, and getting it pushed ahead. 

I agree that Walker made this offense move a little bit better because he's an actual threat to score on the role or dump down. Also, Lat simply making shots helped. 

12 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Rebounds: Ind. 41; NU 30.  That’s the ballgame.

Lat Mayen—5 of 9 from 3. What changed there?  Did Walker’s presence help at all on this?

I think the big thing that helped was that he missed his first one... But then on his second one, it's like he took a deep breathe and said, "Good Lord I do not know what is going on, but please for the sake of all that his good in this world please let this one go in." 

17 hours ago, atskooc said:

Quick replay if you’re so inclined. 

That was fun way to recap. 

Couple things:

1. I really liked it when Teddy Allen got the outlet after missed baskets. He pushed it nicely and got it either kicked ahead or attacked early. It also got the ball out of his hands early so he couldn't take a bad shot. But could get it later in the possession. 
2. Walker adds a physical dimension and ability that has to be accounted for. You saw it on all our rolls, where shooters were more open for shots (Lat). 
3. Walker adds a more physical dimension and ability on defense, that I am disappointed our coaches did not take more advantage of. STOP DOUBLING THE POST

4. Why not continue to foul with fouls to give at the end of the 1st half? Thor picked the ball up, who cares if he gets one? Would have more than likely negated the tip-in. 

5. Rebounding and FTs baby. 

17 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Rebounds: Ind. 41; NU 30.  That’s the ballgame.

Lat Mayen—5 of 9 from 3. What changed there?  Did Walker’s presence help at all on this?

It might be as simple as they just started going in. Not that it probably means anything but he missed his first, hit his next 5, missed his last 3.

Nebraska Post-Game Notes

• All five starters had at least 10 points for Nebraska. That marked the fourth game this season that at least five Huskers scored in double figures and the first time that the entire starting lineup all reached double figures. 
  • Nebraska had 16 assists and only nine turnovers in the game. The Huskers finished with more assists than turnovers for the second time in Big Ten play, while the plus-seven assist-to-turnover ratio was Nebraska’s second-best mark against a Division I opponent this season. Nebraska’s 16 assists was its highest total since Dec. 17.
  • Lat Mayen hit a career-high five 3-pointers to finish with a career-high 15 points. Mayen’s previous career highs were three 3-pointers and 13 points against McNeese State.
  • Derrick Walker, making his Nebraska debut and the first start of his collegiate career, finished with 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting. The 10 points matched his career high, as he also scored 10 points at South Carolina during his freshman season at Tennessee in 2017-18.
  • Teddy Allen had a game-high 21 points, marking his sixth 20-point game this season and his second straight 20-point effort. Allen has been in double figures in 13 straight games dating back to his freshman year at West Virginia.
  • Trey McGowens dished out a season-high six assists, as his previous 2020-21 high was three on two other occasions.
  • Dalano Banton had seven assists and no turnovers, the fourth time with at least seven assists. It marked the first time he didn’t commit a turnover.
  • Nebraska trailed by 15 points with 15:53 remaining, but came all the way back to take a three-point lead with 7:21 to play.

I now count four players from this year's team who can be part of a winning rotation next year, though each has holes in his game that need to be worked on:

• T. McGowens
  • T. Allen
  • D. Banton
  • D. Walker

With B. McGowens, that makes a decent, if not great, starting lineup.

That's what I take from last night's game.

Now we just need three more players who can step in and contribute at a high level next year, and that includes Tominaga and Breidenbach as possibilities, along with the current roster.

As for this year, I figured it would take until February to see this team winning some games. Last night felt like progress in that timeline.

Small steps, for sure, but Walker's skill level and effort was nice, though he probably doesn't bring the rebounding presence that Yvan does.

Edited by jayschool

12 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I now count four players from this year's team who can be part of a winning rotation next year, though each has holes in his game that need to be worked on:

• T. McGowens
  • T. Allen
  • D. Banton
  • D. Walker

With B. McGowens, that makes a decent, if not great, starting lineup.

That's what I take from last night's game.

Now we just need three more players who can step in and contribute at a high level next year, and that includes Tominaga and Breidenbach as possibilities, along with the current roster.  I think having Walker in there helps him as well. 

As for this year, I figured it would take until February to see this team winning some games. Last night felt like progress in that timeline.

Small steps, for sure, but Walker's skill level and effort was nice, though he probably doesn't bring the rebounding presence that Yvan does.

I think Lat will figure in the rotation.   I think Lat can hit at a high 3% pct if he has time to shoot.  He likes to measure his shots and does best when he is deliberate.   I think with some additional shooters on the team that will help him.    I think having Walker in there helps him as well. 

Edited by REDitus

Just now, REDitus said:

I think Lat will figure in the rotation.   I think Lat can hit at a high 3% pct if he has time to shoot.  He likes to measure his shots and does best when he is deliberate.   I think with some additional shooters on the team that will help him.    

True. I'd be happy if his role were as a bench player who can be put back on the bench if he's not feeling it on a particular night. He and Tominaga aren't similar players, but they can have similar roles, and we may need both a guard and a forward off the bench who can shoot well from deep.